(Topic ID: 156769)

What PinMap features would you like to see?

By LaughingOtter

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Hello!

Getting closer to the end of the Google verification program, and after that it'll be time to update the base code that runs PinMap.

I'm introducing duplicate location checking and handling, and the Google Business/Place ID obtained from the previous step lets us know when a place has shut down for good.

I'm also bringing a location sonar function that pings from where you are and reports back with locations within at least a five-mile radius. The radius can be expanded, and on the initial ping will expand upon finding zero locations until at least one location is found. These will display as green dots (open), yellow dots (unknown operating hours), or red dots (known to be closed for the night), but all these places will be known to currently exist. Lots of lovely trigonometry involved.

Any other ideas as to what I can code up for the Map?

Steve

#2 8 years ago

I would like to look at a single game and search my the different variables of owner, location, AND wishlister.

For example if I am selling a game it woudl be nice to look at teh map and see shom closer to me is looking for that game. With trades becoming more common I coudl then look in their collection to see if there is anyhting they may have and reach out to see if a deal can be struck.

I would like a feature to do this but use a criteria of "my wishlist games" basically a way to see whom around me has the games in my wishlist. This would combine nicely with added colleciton managment categories beyond: in collection, wishlist, and used to own. More categories that also work with the map like placing a collection into sub categories that are searchable like: possible For trade, keeper, offers accepted, etc...

I hope I am explainging those well.

Additional features that woudl be fun for locations is a "removed from location" catergory so when games leave a location you can see the history of what they have had. That one is just for fun.

#3 8 years ago

G'day!

OK, the first part is totally do-able. When you register, you can put yourself at a specific latitude and longitude, eh?

Part 2: Checkboxes for the criteria, then?

Part 3: I think recording an individual game's history is a GREAT idea! Where it resided and when. We could really find out where some of the true oldies have been. I know the Addams Family at Shorty's has been there since the late 1990s, for example. I know Lloyd Olson at SS Billiards could top that one easily, and so on.

Notes taken! Thanks very kindly!
    Steve

#4 8 years ago

Location sonar sounds like a great addition. What about a game search to find the closest of a particular game? Actually it might help if your sonar (or any search really) had an option to list all the games in that search instead of the locations. Often I'll look on the map and see lots of 1 or 2 game places and have to open them all up to see if anyone has something worth visiting. If I had the list of all available in the area I could then click thru on the interesting games to find the location.

#5 8 years ago

That would be just as easy to accomplish as the sonar itself. Maybe as a sonar refinement?

#6 8 years ago

Some ideas in this thread related to integrating with pinballmap.com

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-pin-map-pinball-map

1 month later
    #7 7 years ago

Hello!

Pinballmap.com is probably the best of the pinball locators out there next to ours, but aside from the data we don't have much in common. I already have written the code that converts PinballMap data to Pinside's SQL format, so we're already ahead there!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pinmap-features-would-you-like-to-see and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.