(Topic ID: 348680)

What pinball themes do you want? (multi-choice poll)

By PinMonk

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 205 posts
  • 95 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by ExSquid
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What pinball themes do you most want to play/buy?”

• Back to the Future 217 votes
      9%
    • Barbie 26 votes
      1%
    • Beastie Boys 87 votes
      3%
    • Beavis and Butthead 88 votes
      4%
    • Beetlejuice 138 votes
      6%
    • Big Trouble in Little China 79 votes
      3%
    • Bruce Lee/Enter the Dragon 26 votes
      1%
    • Die Hard 110 votes
      4%
    • Dolly Parton 11 votes
    • E.T. The Extraterrestrial 37 votes
      1%
    • Eminem 31 votes
      1%
    • The Fifth Element 100 votes
      4%
    • Futurama 89 votes
      4%
    • Goonies 154 votes
      6%
    • Harry Potter 165 votes
      7%
    • Mad Max 102 votes
      4%
    • The Matrix (original) 177 votes
      7%
    • Michael Jackson 36 votes
      1%
    • Monsters of Rock 26 votes
      1%
    • Muppets 82 votes
      3%
    • Ozzy 71 votes
      3%
    • Pee Wee's Big Adventure 81 votes
      3%
    • Pokemon 78 votes
      3%
    • Prince 32 votes
      1%
    • The Princess Bride 64 votes
      3%
    • Rocky Horror Picture Show 55 votes
      2%
    • Simpsons Treehouse of Horror 118 votes
      5%
    • Taylor Swift 27 votes
      1%
    • Tony Hawk/Bones Brigade 66 votes
      3%
    • Van Halen 86 votes
      3%
    • The Warriors 49 votes
      2%

(Multiple choice - 2508 votes by 549 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MV5BYmVhNmFmOGYtZjgwNi00ZGQ0LThiMmQtOGZjMDUzNzJhMGIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    old-man-conan (resized).jpg
    catchy-as-hell.gif
    pasted_image (resized).png
    fifth (resized).jpg
    download-1 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240114_150320_Chrome (resized).jpg
    darkstalkers (resized).png
    Kill Bill (resized).png
    medusa+clash+of+the+titans.gif
    IMG_1598.gif
    IMG_1597.gif
    IMG_1592.gif
    IMG_1419.gif
    IMG_1549 (resized).jpeg
    get off my lawn.gif
    There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
    #51 7 months ago
    Quoted from Powdevil:

Agree with Pink Floyd.
    Also Kill Bill,
    John Wick,
    and the never mentioned Earthworm Jim!

Videogame themes are woefully under-represented in pinball.

#52 7 months ago

You had Ozzy but Black Sabbath would be awesome as well.

#53 7 months ago

Battlestar Galactica... please, please, please...

th-2643355728 (resized).jpgth-2643355728 (resized).jpg

#54 7 months ago

Get a Gold Wings.
    It’ll be 20% of the cost and be 20% better than anything produced

#55 7 months ago

Back to the Future is going to win this. But I'm surprised how many votes Beetlejuice is getting, it's like 3rd or 4th right now.

#56 7 months ago
    Quoted from Ty-Arnold:

Back to the Future is going to win this. But I'm surprised how many votes Beetlejuice is getting, it's like 3rd or 4th right now.

Cuz it’s awesome. Probably the most beloved Tim Burton movie with amazing art direction, iconic Elfman music, fantastic quotable characters.

#57 7 months ago

A Christmas Story

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

#58 7 months ago

Harry Potter is approved for purchase The rest, not so much...

#59 7 months ago

Galaxy Quest

#60 7 months ago

Something original please that unchains the designers, as all of the multi choice options reflect licensing constraints and heavy marketing biases/timings that rush/eat up a games budget, making pins more expensive and are designed to please the 'suits' and bean counters first...not the player.

#61 7 months ago

I think Disney's Haunted Mansion would make a great game... if it was based more on the ride.

actually... several of their rides would translate well

Jungle Cruise
    Expedition Everest
    Space Mountain
    Tower of Terror

#62 7 months ago

Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    run DMC
    Letter kenney

#63 7 months ago

I would LOVE to see this. Such a great movie with quotable lines.

#64 7 months ago
    Quoted from ManyQuarters:

Something original please that unchains the designers, as all of the multi choice options reflect licensing constraints and heavy marketing biases/timings that rush/eat up a games budget, making pins more expensive and are designed to please the 'suits' and bean counters first...not the player.

Put a claim in on your travel insurance because that ship has sailed.

#65 7 months ago

Any fans of Capcom's Strider? The franchise has been around since 1989 and the last game was in 2014. The character is pretty badass. An acrobatic and futuristic cyber-type of ninja who takes on all kinds of enemies worldwide. Lots of platforming, action and daredevil jumping. His main weapon is the Cipher Falchion which would make for great combos and shots. Game would be fast paced. It's still a very revered game and admired character. What do you all think?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #66 7 months ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Any fans of Capcom's Strider? The franchise has been around since 1989 and the last game was in 2014. The character is pretty badass. An acrobatic and futuristic cyber-type of ninja who takes on all kinds of enemies worldwide. Lots of platforming, action and daredevil jumping. His main weapon is the Cipher Falchion which would make for great combos and shots. Game would be fast paced. It's still a very revered game and admired character. What do you all think?[quoted image]

Could be a cool pin, but very niche.

All I think about when I see it is that the Japanese programmer for the SUPERGRAFX version way back when committed suicide when porting it. Strider/Programmer suicide are linked in my brain.

#67 7 months ago

Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein .

#68 7 months ago

My top three from poll. Die Hard, Van Halen and BTTF.
    Battlestar Galactica (Original), Black Sabbath, A Christmas Story, Caddyshack, and Motley Crue to name a few not on poll.

#69 7 months ago

John Carpenter's The Thing

#70 7 months ago

My suggestions -
    Movie-related: A Burt-Reynolds-Machine, for example based on Smokey and the Bandit or Cannonball
    John Caprpenter's Escape from NY / LA
    Plan 9 from outer Space (yes !!! - could be tons of fun and the license would be cheap)

Pinball-History-related: Gorgar - the Return of the Monster
    a Paul-Faris-Theme-Mix - Centaur meets Paragon in the Lost World

Rock-Star-related - NONE

#71 7 months ago

Popularity, sorted by votes received as of 12/19, 7:50PM.

112 - Back to the Future
    93 - The Matrix (original)
    78 - Harry Potter
    67 - Beetlejuice
    60 - Simpsons Treehouse of Horror
    59 - Die Hard
    52 - Futurama
    52 - The Fifth Element
    47 - Mad Max
    46 - Beastie Boys
    45 - Beavis and Butthead
    45 - Van Halen
    44 - Big Trouble in Little China
    44 - Muppets
    42 - Goonies
    42 - Pee Wee's Big Adventure
    41 - Ozzy
    38 - The Princess Bride
    32 - Tony Hawk/Bones Brigade
    31 - Pokemon
    31 - Rocky Horror Picture Show
    27 - The Warriors
    20 - E.T. The Extraterrestrial
    20 - Prince
    18 - Monsters of Rock

#72 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Popularity, sorted by votes received as of 12/19, 7:50PM.
    112 - Back to the Future
    93 - The Matrix (original)
    78 - Harry Potter
    67 - Beetlejuice
    60 - Simpsons Treehouse of Horror
    59 - Die Hard
    52 - Futurama
    52 - The Fifth Element
    47 - Mad Max
    46 - Beastie Boys
    45 - Beavis and Butthead
    45 - Van Halen
    44 - Big Trouble in Little China
    44 - Muppets
    42 - Goonies
    42 - Pee Wee's Big Adventure
    41 - Ozzy
    38 - The Princess Bride
    32 - Tony Hawk/Bones Brigade
    31 - Pokemon
    31 - Rocky Horror Picture Show
    27 - The Warriors
    20 - E.T. The Extraterrestrial
    20 - Prince
    18 - Monsters of Rock

BTTF, we all be in wheel chairs by then with Dutch Pinball.

#73 7 months ago

Beetlejuice would be welcomed. How about Squid Game? Squid Game would be amazing and it appeals to all generations. Plus, it’s a game of survival - much like keeping 3 balls in play is a game of survival. I could design this winner in my sleep. Top of the list for me.

#74 7 months ago

Blade Runner
    Firefly
    The Rocketeer
    Logan's Run

If you agree with any of these it's also time to schedule your colonoscopy.

#75 7 months ago

Sounds like Motley Crue is finally getting made!!! I’m starting to put $ aside already. Seems likely it’s not Stern but possible JJP. I’ll be waiting for this until the cows come home .

#76 7 months ago

I 2nd SOA!!!

Quoted from LTG:

Sons of Anarchy = time for a new souped up motorcycle game.
    Punchy The Clown remake with huge interactive clown head topper.
    jjp doing Barbie with Steve Ritchie designing it, that should really piss Steve off. If he lives through it Top Gun next.
    LTG : )

#77 7 months ago

How about something out of the box.

Something original.

Like they use to do.

#78 7 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Something original.
    Like they use to do.

Because in this market the risk is too great. Unknown properties generally don't sell. The best we can hope for is more of the Foo Fighters approach where they take an original idea and pair it with a known license to get a hybrid "out of the box" theme.

If that doesn't appeal to you, then all that's left is to go yell at the neighbor kids about something in your control...
    get off my lawn.gifget off my lawn.gif

#79 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Because in this market the risk is too great. Unknown properties generally don't sell. The best we can hope for is more of the Foo Fighters approach where they take an original idea and pair it with a known license to get a hybrid "out of the box" theme.
    If that doesn't appeal to you, then all that's left is to go yell at the neighbor kids about something in your control...
    [quoted image]

It is a different era.

A solid playfield layout with good code and a supporting art package does not have to be a licensed pin.

Looking at the top 100 would support this idea as well.

The only yelling should be at the current producers to breathe some fresh ideas into what has become a crutch of licensed pinball themes.

#80 7 months ago

What’s the problem? P3, AP and start ups all have plenty of original themes to choose from. No way any of the big boys will ever go that route and rightfully so. There’s literally something for everyone nowadays so enjoy it.

#81 7 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

It is a different era.
    A solid playfield layout with good code and a supporting art package does not have to be a licensed pin.
    Looking at the top 100 would support this idea as well.
    The only yelling should be at the current producers to breathe some fresh ideas into what has become a crutch of licensed pinball themes.

In a soft market no one of any size is going to take the risk you're asking for, because the sales record of the last 20 years is pretty clear. Licensed themes consistently sell, unlicensed are very difficult to make money on.

That said, Foo Fighters pinball theme is every bit as fresh as any unlicensed sci-fi rock cartoon theme you could come up with. It just happens that Stern paired it with the Foo Fighters brand so people will walk up and try it (or, given that 70% of their market is home users, buy it). It's an undeniably fresh idea, and the likely future of faux-unlicensed pin themes.

If you NEED non-licensed themes, put your money where your mouth is and get a Multimorphic pin. They ARE taking risks with almost exclusively unlicensed stuff and paying for that chutzpah with a lot of low selling modules because - all together now - unlicensed themes generally don't sell. PLENTY of low-selling non-licensed themes tailor made for your unlicensed preference there:

Final Resistance
    Heist
    Cosmic Cart Racing
    Lexy Lightspeed
    Cannon Lagoon
    Sorcerer's Apprentice
    Shoot n' Scoot
    ROCs
    Barnyard
    Bird Watcher
    Dungeon Door Defender
    Drained
    Flipper Foxtrot Rhythm Explosion
    Ranger in the Ruins
    Silver Falls
    Grand Slam Rally
    Hoopin' it Up

And you can swap from one to another at will, only requiring one cabinet to have the library of your (alleged) dreams.

#82 7 months ago

I think when people say they want original themes what they really are saying is they want the gameplay to really stand out.

But no one can really properly say what new fangled thing they are looking for in a pin, do they want some sort of loopty loop ramp that has never been tried before, balls popping up in a way they haven't before, some other thing, no one really knows what to say regarding that because they aren't designers, so it's generally not talked about as people don't want to look like marble mouthed fools.

The reality is you need that combination of theme and layout, but Stern's smartest move was hiring new designers, with fresh ideas. Saying Jurassic Park and Godzilla are hits because of theme is obviously not a correct statement.

#83 7 months ago

Blade Runner

Back to the Future

National Lampoon's Vacation

Bones Brigade (Tony Hawk)

#84 7 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

What’s the problem? P3, AP and start ups all have plenty of original themes to choose from. No way any of the big boys will ever go that route and rightfully so. There’s literally something for everyone nowadays so enjoy it.

Because AP destroyed GTF with the scenes. If they would have kept it animated I think it would have been a better game.

I just hope the next hand full of new pins ARE NOT bands, comics, and horror films.

Think we have enough band themes to last a life time. I love music and almost every band they have a pin for. But it’s not something I’m looking for in a pinball machine. Metallic is probably the only one I can play over and over.

Pinball should make you feel like you’re in a different space than you really are while playing. Williams capture this very well, some sterns were really good at this but then it fell off after BKSOR. All these band pins are vanilla or economy daily drivers. Yea they provide a function and serve a purpose but you really are dreaming about that 911 you always wanted.

#85 7 months ago

It doesn't matter what theme you want. We'll see if next machine is flying out the door with the current price structure. If that is the case then it has nothing to do with theme at all. I know big changes are coming for stern.
    Jaws is not a great theme. The movie cameout 1 year before I was born.

#86 7 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Something original.
    Like they use to do.

Yeah. I’m ok with the modern-day pins having preexisting commercial themes. It makes the older, technologically inferior, pins special. There will never be another Bride of Pinbot or Road Show and that’s why these pins will always be in my collection.

#87 7 months ago

How about space cadet pinball, windows 95 version

#88 7 months ago

Cryptids. It's time for new monsters.

#89 7 months ago

Several great ideas on there, personally I love the idea of a Warriors pinball, you could have a mode for each gang they encountered, descent soundtrack, the graphics could be off the hook on this thing! Extra upper flipper could be bats, ramps could be roller skate styled.

#90 7 months ago
    Quoted from hockeymutt:

Because AP destroyed GTF with the scenes. If they would have kept it animated I think it would have been a better game.
    I just hope the next hand full of new pins ARE NOT bands, comics, and horror films.
    Think we have enough band themes to last a life time. I love music and almost every band they have a pin for. But it’s not something I’m looking for in a pinball machine. Metallic is probably the only one I can play over and over.
    Pinball should make you feel like you’re in a different space than you really are while playing. Williams capture this very well, some sterns were really good at this but then it fell off after BKSOR. All these band pins are vanilla or economy daily drivers. Yea they provide a function and serve a purpose but you really are dreaming about that 911 you always wanted.

Have you tried Foo? That game is insane FUN. Great storyline with it. Just my opinion but it’s my type of game and I like Foo’s music but nowhere near my choice for a band pin. Code isn’t even finished yet. Give it a good shot.

1 week later
    #91 6 months ago
    Quoted from lepstein:

Gravity Falls (cartoon, I may need to make this one myself)

This is one of those never going to happen themes that would be sooo good. My kid had me watch this show with him and years later we’ve started a second watching. It would
    Make an incredible theme. Bill Cipher wizard mode, bottomless pit gobble hole, big mystery shack on the playfield. Lil’ Gideon multiball. Gnome multiball, collect all the journals, etc. So many good characters and callouts.

In that same realm, I would love a Usagi Yojimbo pin but it would never happen. Easiest way would be to retheme a Deadpool and keep the katana. I’m all for a pinball about a ronin rabbit fighting ninjas but I realize I’m part of a very small club in that regard.

#92 6 months ago

Would like to see more Retro robotics in a game.
    Not AI level stuff, though pinball is ripe for that sort of thing.

#93 6 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think Disney's Haunted Mansion would make a great game... if it was based more on the ride.
    actually... several of their rides would translate well
    Jungle Cruise
    Expedition Everest
    Space Mountain
    Tower of Terror

And you cannot forget Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride. Not the stupid movie franchise.

#94 6 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Something original.
    Like they use to do.

Yes, please. I just visited Radioactive Pinball Arcade in Aiken, SC - great people, highly recommended. They had a pin called Mousin' Around. Mice, cheese, mousetraps. Simple but a couple hard shots. No mechanics. Wasn't sure if I was the mouse or the trapper. Got me thinking how frigging cool a modern take on a mouse trap game could be. Play as the mouse or play as the erratic and frantric homeowner. The scoop could be a mouse door with a massive subway system. Heck, the whole playfield could be littered with scoops and designed around predictable and random ejections. So many possibilities!

#95 6 months ago

Ozzy but a Fear & Loathing pin would be epic

IMG_1549 (resized).jpegIMG_1549 (resized).jpeg
    #96 6 months ago

Note that Robin has added the ability to SORT the results of the poll in real time. You can sort by Original, A-Z, or Score (votes) largest to smallest. Just click on one of those on the top right of the poll to sort as you wish.

#97 6 months ago

Evil Dead - A horror/comedy would be right up my ally. Also has tons of classic call outs. "Give me some sugar, baby." or "This is my BOOMSTICK!" Bruce Campbell would bring 120% of his awesome campy intensity to any custom callouts they could do.

The Legend of Vox Machina. Based on the IP from Critical Role. This is my dream theme, but it's too niche to ever happen.

#98 6 months ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Something original.
    Like they use to do.

So let me look at your collection - it must be Galactic Tank Force, Oktoberfest, Legends of Valhalla, all the P3 smash hits….oh wait, it’s all EMs & you didn’t buy any of these new original games.

That’s why licensed games are made. No one buys original at NIB prices when you can get original classics for cheapie cheap.

#99 6 months ago

since i'm not allowed to vote, it's Pee Wee's Big Adventure by a mile. i can't believe it's languishing in the middle of the pack! it's a ridiculously rich source for characters, callouts, toys, and modes, with a clear overarching story and goal.

same with The Muppet Movie. but if it's a generic Muppet pin without original assets, i aint interested.

and last is a theme i haven't seen anyone else mention: Grease, the movie. another incredibly rich, nostalgic source with great music and quotables. could even work well as a modern-retro.

#100 6 months ago

They made it already it’s called Gold Wings

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.