Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Archer600
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BBB (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hi!

I am new to this website and was hoping someone on here would be able to help me figure out ideas on what Pinball machine I should get. Long story short, I have cancer and I am eligible for a Make-A-Wish grant. My wish is to get a Pinball machine. As to my knowledge, I can get one machine and the price does not really matter since the foundation is paying for it. I prefer the electronic pinball machines mainly manufactured from the 90's to present. The only machines I am really familiar with are the Star Trek: The Next Generation machine, Tales of the Arabian Nights, and James Cameron's Avatar machine. Besides those games, I have played the Terminator 3 machine and the Batman Dark Knight games but could care less for them. Out of the games listed, TOTAN is my favorite but I have played it quite often and would probably prefer a different game to own. Please leave any recommendations below and thanks for checking this forum out.

AVH

#2 3 years ago

The best machine from this era is AFM in my opinion.

#3 3 years ago

Sorry to hear about your health.

Twilight Zone is a lot of fun but there is a lot of stop and go which turns some people off. The Stern pins are generally much faster. Theme has a lot to do with what I like. If you like superheroes, I would recommend Spiderman. Sci-fi, I would go with STTNG if you don't mind widebodies. Music, I prefer AC/DC over Metalica.

Good luck!

#4 3 years ago

Sorry to hear you are not well. Get a Kingpin if somebody else is paying.

#5 3 years ago

Thanks to those who have replied so far. In terms of manufacturers, I like Williams and Bally's machines. I know that now Stern is the only company left. SteveO I am a big fan of music and the Metallica machine looks cool yet I have no idea how it plays since I have never seen one myself in person. I have played virtual trials of some machines on the Pinball Arcade game on PS4. I know real pinball is going to be a lot different than a video game but I found Twilight Zone to be a little too difficult for myself. o-din I know nothing about Kingpin. wellarmed I have seen AFM on many top lists but don't know anything about it either.

#6 3 years ago

You can't go wrong with the classics. I would check out:

Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Attack from Mars

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from rplante:

You can't go wrong with the classics. I would check out:
Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Attack from Mars

Those games also have a lot of great humor packed into them. Can't go wrong with that.

#8 3 years ago

Quoted from AVH7401:

I know nothing about Kingpin

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=4000
Only 9 prototypes were ever built.

Quoted from AVH7401:

I have seen AFM on many top lists but don't know anything about it either

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3781

Be sure to search youtube for gameplay videos. Or, the pinball arcade app has several pinball machines that have been remade in digital form which can give you idea of if you would like the real one. http://www.pinballarcade.com/

AFM is one of my personal favorites--good shots, nice flow, a big target to shoot for, good humor.

Quoted from AVH7401:

I know that now Stern is the only company left.

Actually, there's a few more than just Stern now that have sprung up in the last few years.

Jersey Jack Pinball (Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, and Dialed In), Spooky Pinball (America's Most Haunted and Rob Zombie), Heighway Pinball (Full Throttle, and soon--Alien), Chicago Gaming / PPS (Medieval Madness Remake)

#9 3 years ago

If you are into Metallica, I'd suggest Metallica. It's a TOP game, excellent player. It will also be easier to find and cheaper than an AFM (I know you say this isn't a concern, but trust me, it is.)

You can still buy them brand new or close to brand new easily, and this should be a reliable machine for you. I'd avoid a 90s game at this point since you are a total newbie and life is short - you want a working machine that will stay that way.

You may also consider a MMremake. These are around $8K brand new and I believe they aren't too hard to find - I've been at shows where you could pick them up right there new in the box. MM is one of the best games ever made, in the family of AFM, and should be reliable as the MMremake is a brand new machine.

I wouldn't overthink this one - and I'd avoid older, overly complex games (TZ and STTNG come to mind) that may be troublesome.

#10 3 years ago

If you are new to pinball you may want to get something that is brand new and not used. I would hate for you to get a used machine (although the older machines are great), only to have some issues and it not work properly. JJP and Stern make some good games that are ready to ship. I would look into gameplay videos of games like:

Stern Games:
The Walking Dead
Star Trek
Metallica

JJP Games:
Wizard of Oz
The Hobbit
Dialed In

Edit: I see now that CrazyLevi and I had the same thought. Also his recommendation of MMR (Medieval Madness Remake) is perfect. That would probably be my recommendation to you.

#11 3 years ago

The Stern music pins are great. I loved playing the AC/DC, Metallica and KISS machines and ended up getting a KISS. I don't see how you could go wrong with those machines if you like to rock out. Lots of depth to each game.

I see you don't want a game that is too difficult. I found KISS to be appropriate for my skill level (I'm not a world class pinball champion!) I wanted a machine that had depth but that I could have longer game times. I found that these rock pins to be challenging yet I can still get a couple nice long, adrenaline pumping games each night I play. These newer Sterns have a LOT of settings to make the game more or less difficult.

You can also change out the music if there are songs you would rather rock out on. My KISS machine plays Sammy Hagar, Boston, Blue Oyster Cult and Ratt as well as a couple KISS songs. Feels good to turn down the lights and crank up the music on the machine.

Sorry to hear about your health situation. Praying for a good outcome! Take care.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Only 9 prototypes were ever built.

Be sure to search youtube for gameplay videos. Or, the pinball arcade app has several pinball machines that have been remade in digital form which can give you idea of if you would like the real one.
AFM is one of my personal favorites--good shots, nice flow, a big target to shoot for, good humor.

Actually, there's a few more than just Stern now that have sprung up in the last few years.
Jersey Jack Pinball (Wizard of Oz, The Hobbit, and Dialed In), Spooky Pinball (America's Most Haunted and Rob Zombie), Heighway Pinball (Full Throttle, and soon--Alien), Chicago Gaming / PPS (Medieval Madness Remake)

forceflow Thank you very much for the information you have given me! I have the Playstation 4 version of Pinball Arcade which allows for trials to be played of the digital machines. I probably won't even bother with Kingpin seeing how rare it seems to be.

#14 3 years ago

Wizard of Oz or Hobbit depending on which theme you prefer. Both games are beautiful and deep enough to keep you interested for a long time. Good luck with your fight against cancer, pinball is a fun positive hobby.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you are into Metallica, I'd suggest Metallica. It's a TOP game, excellent player. It will also be easier to find and cheaper than an AFM (I know you say this isn't a concern, but trust me, it is.)
You can still buy them brand new or close to brand new easily, and this should be a reliable machine for you. I'd avoid a 90s game at this point since you are a total newbie and life is short - you want a working machine that will stay that way.
You may also consider a MMremake. These are around $8K brand new and I believe they aren't too hard to find - I've been at shows where you could pick them up right there new in the box. MM is one of the best games ever made, in the family of AFM, and should be reliable as the MMremake is a brand new machine.
I wouldn't overthink this one - and I'd avoid older, overly complex games (TZ and STTNG come to mind) that may be troublesome.

crazylevi So as to what I am getting from your post, older machines are not as reliable and would probably need repairs and/or work done on them eventually? Also, what are the chances of finding older machines in new condition? Pretty much not existent?

#16 3 years ago

Apology in advance for going off topic, but is there an app for this website or a dedicated mobile version. Also, is there a way to view notifications other than checking the website? Other forum websites I have visited have options to receive notifications via e-mail and such o know when forums you have started and/or favorited are updated and posted on.

#17 3 years ago

Stern: Batman
JJP: Hobbit

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

crazylevi So as to what I am getting from your post, older machines are not as reliable and would probably need repairs and/or work done on them eventually? Also, what are the chances of finding older machines in new condition? Pretty much not existent?

Yes, nonexistent. No chance of finding a 90s game in new condition. You could get a fully restored like new one, but that's north of $10,000 and they aren't just gonna grow on trees. I know you say money is no object but I assure you that will factor in.

Older games CAN be reliable but let's face it, they are 20+ years old and the chance, even of a nice one, of issues is much higher than if you buy a brand new game. Any time you buy something used you really have no idea what your are getting.

As I said you can get a Medivial Madness (remake) brand new, these are easy to find and $8,000. This might be your best bet if you want a 90s game.

#19 3 years ago

Where are you? There are likely pinsiders in your area who have games you might be interested in and would let you check them out.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

If restored and bulletproofed, older games can be just as reliable as new machines, IMHO. There are plenty of hobbyists and retail shops that restore and sell older games.

Either new or old machines can have problems or fail completely. That's just the nature of pinball machines--they are complex pieces of equipment with lots of moving parts and a steel ball that smashes into everything.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Apology in advance for going off topic, but is there an app for this website or a dedicated mobile version. Also, is there a way to view notifications other than checking the website? Other forum websites I have visited have options to receive notifications via e-mail and such o know when forums you have started and/or favorited are updated and posted on.

No app, but the mobile responsive view should kick in automatically.

Unfortunately, there are no reply notifications. The closest you can get is either visiting the "topics" tab near the top of the page, or clicking the @ tab.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Where are you? There are likely pinsiders in your area who have games you might be interested in and would let you check them out.

twenty84 I am located in Raleigh, NC. The only local place I have been that has a pinball machine is a local sports bar. They had a T3 machine but replaced it with an Avatar game 2 years ago I believe. None of the so called "arcades" around me have machines either. They just have video games and attractions like Go Kart and mini golf.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

If restored and bulletproofed, older games can be just as reliable as new machines, IMHO. There are plenty of hobbyists and retail shops that restore and sell older games.
Either new or old machines can have problems or fail completely. That's just the nature of pinball machines--they are complex pieces of equipment with lots of moving parts and a steel ball that smashes into everything.

One thing to keep in mind is he isn't buying this game himself, and he'd probably rather have the machine sooner than later.

I think we'd all agree the easiest way to accomplish getting a reliable game in this case is to buy something new.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

One thing to keep in mind is he isn't buying this game himself, and he'd probably rather have the machine sooner than later.

I wasn't suggesting that he place an order for a restoration--some retail shops do have a few readily available and hobbyists lists games for sale all the time.

But yes, in this situation, a new one may be the best approach.

#25 3 years ago

Wow. One machine... so many to choose from.

If I had a one machine choice, I'd go Wizard of Oz. Just a personal preference.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

twenty84 I am located in Raleigh, NC. The only local place I have been that has a pinball machine is a local sports bar. They had a T3 machine but replaced it with an Avatar game 2 years ago I believe. None of the so called "arcades" around me have machines either. They just have video games and attractions like Go Kart and mini golf.

There are a bunch of collectors in that area that would gladly open up their gamerooms so you could try some pins out,
i bet. put up a new topic maybe when you have some time.

#27 3 years ago

I hope getting a pin helps take your mind off whatever health problems you're having. To echo what other people have been saying, while it's not absolutely true, in general getting a new game is going to be quicker and once you have the game you'll be able to spend more time playing it rather than fixing it. Given that and what you've written so far, I think there are two really good games to choose from; Medieval Madness Remake and Metallica. MMR plays like an 90s Williams game since it's a remake of one of if not the best. Since you like the band and it happens to be a great game MET is another really good option. Best of luck.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, nonexistent. No chance of finding a 90s game in new condition.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/40526

BBB (resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

First of all my prayers go out to you and your family. If I had one machine I could have that would be a tough question. For me it would be X-MEN LE Magneto because I really like the theme and gameplay. Second choice would be a tie between STTNG and Metallica. Third choice would be a NIB MMR, classic game with great layout and rules. Also rated #1 for some time now.
Again my prayers are with you.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes, nonexistent. No chance of finding a 90s game in new condition.

I have a NIB STTNG, I have not decided what I am going to do with it yet.

#30 3 years ago

Great, so this thread is turning into a show and tell thread on the 4 NIB 90s games in the world.

Dude has fuckin cancer and you are gonna send him on a wild goose chase for a $15,000 NIB 90s game he might not even like, or some restored classic for the same price. And one lunatic even suggested a wizard of oz.

Big picture people. He should get an NIB Metallica or Star Trek and he should get it soon.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Great, so this thread is turning into a show and tell thread on the 4 NIB 90s games in the world.
Dude has fuckin cancer and you are gonna send him on a wild goose chase for a $15,000 NIB 90s game he might not even like, or some restored classic for the same price. And one lunatic even suggested a wizard of oz.
Big picture people. He should get an NIB Metallica or Star Trek and he should get it soon.

crazylevi I appreciate you trying to stand up for me but I would like the thread to stay as clean and polite as possible. I already have enough people being inconsiderate to me in real life.

I have discovered that I really like Medieval Madness. It is now my top choice as of now. I am not considering Star Trek: The Next Generation as much now and I have not really checked out Metallica yet. Is there any major differences between MM and the remake? I think I might start a new thread about the machine.

#32 3 years ago

No differences. Mmr plays the same. Except faster and newer.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

Is there any major differences between MM and the remake?

On the remake, there is an upgrade option for the display which uses high resolution graphics that aren't available on the original. It's a nice feature, but since you don't usually spend a whole lot of time watching the display, it probably doesn't matter all that much.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No differences. Mmr plays the same. Except faster and newer.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

On the remake, there is an upgrade option for the display which uses high resolution graphics that aren't available on the original. It's a nice feature, but since you don't usually spend a whole lot of time watching the display, it probably doesn't matter all that much.

crazylevi forceflow I made a thread earlier today about the differences between the machines. I got a lot of technical answers that I mostly did not understand. I did include a poll in the thread for which machine is preferred and last time I checked MM was at 60% and MMR was at 40%. So if I were to go with Medieval Madness, should I go with a NIB Remake model? I think it would be nice to have a unused model that should work perfectly. I don't know if this has been clarified but I am a minor living with my parents. So if I got a used machine that need repairs and/or restoration I don't know if my dad would be able to help and they are also usually busy. Plus I we would not have the time anyways due to treatments.

#35 3 years ago

I forgot to mention in the last post that wishes don't usually get processed through the system for at least half a year. I don't believe my wish is in the system since I haven't really clarified it and also because I am not 100% sure on what machine I want yet. So I think it is best to choose asap.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

So if I were to go with Medieval Madness, should I go with a NIB Remake model? I think it would be nice to have a unused model that should work perfectly.

Get the remake if you're going for Medieval Madness. I responded in your other thread not putting 2 and 2 together. In your case, the remake is what you'd want. Pull it out of a box, set it up, play the game. The fuss you'd experience with something used wouldn't be worth it.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I haven't really clarified it and also because I am not 100% sure on what machine I want yet. So I think it is best to choose asap.

Keep in mind that a lot of new and box games might have a waiting list as well. That'd be something to check on. The only reason I would go with an original game is because you could get it immediately.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Keep in mind that a lot of new and box games might have a waiting list as well. That'd be something to check on. The only reason I would go with an original game is because you could get it immediately.

There are distributors with new in box MMr

#39 3 years ago

Glad you got to play a Medieval Madness and liked it. You really can't go wrong with the remake. There are some technical differences between the remake and the original but from the perspective of a player the machines are identical. I was at a convention where I got to play an original Medieval Madness, a Medieval Madness Remake, and a Medieval Madness Remake with the upgrade graphics. My conclusion was that they all played identically as far as I could tell. I understand why some people might have a preference for the original as it's a little more mod-able, or that it's more "collectable" but if you just want to play the game MMr is the way to go.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from AVH7401:

I did include a poll in the thread for which machine is preferred and last time I checked MM was at 60% and MMR was at 40%.

Some of that has to do with the collectible aspects and the return of investment of a popular game. It's not necessarily reflective of only gameplay.

Strictly focusing on gameplay, I didn't really notice much of a difference between a well-tuned original MM and an MMr.

#41 3 years ago

Thank you to everyone who who recommended a machine. I finally decided to go with Medieval Madness Remake. I think the request has officially been put in Make-A-Wish but I have no idea when the it could arrive. Still waiting on updates. It might even take until the middle of next year to get to me At least it will be free.

#42 3 years ago

I think you made a great choice. Enjoy the holidays and best wishes with regards to your health. Props go out to the foundation making this wish possible for you.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside