(Topic ID: 336922)

What pinball machine is featured in the original Tommy album ?

By professorpinball

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Apollo 9 (resized).jpg
    Untitled (resized).png
    #1 11 months ago

The multi-page insert that was included in The Who's double album Tommy of 1968 features male and female, 50's-style, astronauts looking at each other on the plastics behind the short flippers. The flippers are set wide, with an island and two outlanes between them. Picture attached.

I've been researching for years without result.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
    #2 11 months ago

Here’s your answer from another thread.

Published on January 5, 2017
    Michael Gottlieb
    In the late 1960s, the management of The Who contacted my Father on behalf of Pete Townshend. He was writing a "rock opera" and he wanted approval of the lyric in "Pinball Wizard":
    "I thought I was The Gottlieb table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him."
    Well my Father was a WW2 Navy veteran and child of the depression. He did not understand "long hairs", "hippies", or even rock and roll for that matter so he said absolutely not.
    So the Who went to Bally and they were fine with it which is why in "Pinball Wizard" Roger Daltrey sings:
    "I thought I was The Bally table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him."
    But Pete Townshend's reference to one of his favorite pinball machines was left in the "rock opera" in the song "Acid Queen".
    Pete was born in 45' and Gypsy Queen was 55' so he would have been 10 or a little older when he started playing this game:
    Years later, the originator of pinball machine licensing, Tommy Nieman, did a licensing deal for the 1975 film Tommy and two legendary games came out of it. "Wizard" in 1975 and "Captain Fantastic" in 1976.
    This was the beginning of the golden era for Bally Pinball where they embraced licensing and had one hit after another.
    Of course, The Who themselves chose Gottlieb machines for the movie "Tommy" which is why Elton John and Roger Daltrey compete on a "Kings and Queens" and "Buckaroo".
    But at the end of the film "Tommy", a lot of Pinball Machines get destroyed:
    Ultimately, no matter how good of an opportunity, I could have never seen it working out between D. Gottlieb & Co. and The Who.

#3 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mikala:

Here’s your answer from another thread.
    Published on January 5, 2017
    Michael Gottlieb
    In the late 1960s, the management of The Who contacted my Father on behalf of Pete Townshend. He was writing a "rock opera" and he wanted approval of the lyric in "Pinball Wizard":
    "I thought I was The Gottlieb table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him."
    Well my Father was a WW2 Navy veteran and child of the depression. He did not understand "long hairs", "hippies", or even rock and roll for that matter so he said absolutely not.
    So the Who went to Bally and they were fine with it which is why in "Pinball Wizard" Roger Daltrey sings:
    "I thought I was The Bally table king, but I just handed my pinball crown to him."
    But Pete Townshend's reference to one of his favorite pinball machines was left in the "rock opera" in the song "Acid Queen".
    Pete was born in 45' and Gypsy Queen was 55' so he would have been 10 or a little older when he started playing this game:
    Years later, the originator of pinball machine licensing, Tommy Nieman, did a licensing deal for the 1975 film Tommy and two legendary games came out of it. "Wizard" in 1975 and "Captain Fantastic" in 1976.
    This was the beginning of the golden era for Bally Pinball where they embraced licensing and had one hit after another.
    Of course, The Who themselves chose Gottlieb machines for the movie "Tommy" which is why Elton John and Roger Daltrey compete on a "Kings and Queens" and "Buckaroo".
    But at the end of the film "Tommy", a lot of Pinball Machines get destroyed:
    Ultimately, no matter how good of an opportunity, I could have never seen it working out between D. Gottlieb & Co. and The Who.

But either way, that picture is not one of the mentioned games.

#4 11 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

But either way, that picture is not one of the mentioned games.

Yeah, I just realized that I misread his question, but still a good story to repost.

#5 11 months ago
    Quoted from professorpinball:

The multi-page insert that was included in The Who's double album Tommy of 1968 features male and female, 50's-style, astronauts looking at each other on the plastics behind the short flippers. The flippers are set wide, with an island and two outlanes between them. Picture attached.
    I've been researching for years without result.
    [quoted image]

It's quite possible this isn't a real game/ was a custom art job for the gatefold.

#6 11 months ago

What, no argument about the use of the word "table"?

#7 11 months ago

Thanks loads Mikala for that story - you are right, what a great story to learn !

Still, wish I could learn the name, or definitively that it isn't a real machine as suggested by @crazylevi. That would at least explain why I can't find it.

Perhaps after the D. Gottlieb episode, The Who's lawyers decided best not to have any allusion to a real machine - although since Bally was OK with being mentioned, maybe it's one of theirs. I will focus my search that way.

Thanks again all for the quick response !

#8 11 months ago

Challenge accepted:

Once I realized that image was too crisp for a drawing or painting by Mike McInnerney, and considering The Who was from Europe I went searching for rare games...

You were looking for "Apollo 9" by Automaticos
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5304&picno=72195&zoom=1

Neat bumper and flipper arrangement!

Apollo 9 (resized).jpgApollo 9 (resized).jpg
    #9 11 months ago

What a cool looking “table”!

#10 11 months ago
    Quoted from MrVern:

Challenge accepted:
    Once I realized that image was too crisp for a drawing or painting by Mike McInnerney, and considering The Who was from Europe I went searching for rare games...
    You were looking for "Apollo 9" by Automaticos
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5304&picno=72195&zoom=1
    Neat bumper and flipper arrangement!
    [quoted image]

Great detective work. That's a very cool looking foreign wedgehead. I wonder if any examples of this game still exist.

#11 11 months ago

My new favorite alternate term for flippers: defensas!

#12 11 months ago

Added it to my wish list, like that’s ever gonna happen!

#13 11 months ago
    Quoted from yancy:

My new favorite alternate term for flippers: defensas!

I had the same thought!

#14 11 months ago

From the mid 70s on Gottlieb couldn't get out of their own way.

#15 11 months ago

Nice looking Apollo 9 complete with Sing Along styled cabinet art.

#16 11 months ago

Tommy = 1969

#17 11 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time and finding this ! I *thought* the art didn't quite look like that from any of the big 3 around 1969.

#18 11 months ago

Don't look now, but the ipdb entry includes the line:

Photos in: "Tommy", 1969 vinyl LP by The Who, inside booklet (flipper area only)

Moreover, if you type Tommy into the Quick Search, the very first entry returned? None other than Apollo-9!

Good old hindsight!

#19 11 months ago

This UK radio programme is sometimes given another airing: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kfqmb
    The guy on the left came to my house to record my Kings & Queens for the soundtrack segments. Interestingly, he reckoned that the machine in the film, Buckaroo, I think, (with the extra score reel) was supposedly then owned by the widow of the film's director so at least it wasnt destroyed.

2 weeks later
    #20 10 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Don't look now, but the ipdb entry includes the line:

Photos in: "Tommy", 1969 vinyl LP by The Who, inside booklet (flipper area only)

Moreover, if you type Tommy into the Quick Search, the very first entry returned? None other than Apollo-9!

Good old hindsight!

I actually wrote them after I found it because I thought it was cool

I did use their database and sorted out foreign machines from the era, which is how and where I located the flyer. The search function is impressive at IPDB!

#21 10 months ago
    Quoted from MrVern:

I actually wrote them after I found it because I thought it was cool
    I did use their database and sorted out foreign machines from the era, which is how and where I located the flyer. The search function is impressive at IPDB!

Ah, very nice! Lucky it began with an A, eh? It must have saved you a bunch of time, assuming you went down the list in alphabetical order.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pinball-machine-is-featured-in-the-original-tommy-album- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.