(Topic ID: 198142)

What pin would you consider the most brutal and why?

By MK6PIN

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

darka  (resized).jpg
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I'll admit....I love most all machines I've played ( some more than others). I like pinball...is what it is.

Part of the fun for me is the "personality" of each title. Some flow great, some are target based. Long games, short games, billions or millions of points....on and on. It's specifically why I choose to play certain games at certain times. If I come home from work pissed, IMVE and I have it out. If it's a mellow night, maybe a long game of WOZ or TSPP, etc.

After my latest purchase, AFMRLE, I realized I added another " animal" to my lineup. Crazy fun, fast, and absolutely brutal w ball speed, blinding strobe, deadly drains, unforgiving post positions, etc. Blood pressure raises pretty fast. Same thing on Tron, when the disc comes into play...very, very brutal. Very little " down time" when playing these.

Given the above examples, which games do you consider the most brutal, and why? Shear torture, pain, and sweat, but you keep pushing the button. Curious about other titles I don't get to play as much.

#2 6 years ago

AC/DC. not because of brutal drains, but because of the brutal risk/reward. Having super lanes, targets, etc... all setup to go with a heavy song jp in the making and then getting a drain. Brutal.

TWD: being one weapon away from horde or even having it lit and get an ugly drain. Brutal.

#3 6 years ago

IMVE. I just played it and it kicked my ass as usual.

Why? You know the pin so I don't have to explain.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

AC/DC. not because of brutal drains, but because of the brutal risk/reward. Having super lanes, targets, etc... all setup to go with a heavy song jp in the making and then getting a drain. Brutal.
TWD: being one weapon away from horde or even having it lit and get an ugly drain. Brutal.

I've heard this about AC/DC.....have played a couple on location, but never had quality time on one....closest music pin I've come to owning....

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

IMVE. I just played it and it kicked my ass as usual.
Why? You know the pin so I don't have to explain.

Boy do I ever.....the thing is so simple in theory, but absolutely ruthless. It wins my " shortest game time" by a mile. Can you have a long game on IM? I've heard stories, never witnessed one....

#6 6 years ago

IM is by far one of the hardest games out there. Drain monster and you need to try to get everything done on the same ball. Forget about long ball times on IM, if the monger doesn't get you the outlanes will.

TWD just so much stuff to accomplish that trying to finish the game is next to impossible...unless you are called Keith Elwin.

#7 6 years ago

F - 14 is unsane.

#8 6 years ago

Let me be the first to say...BSD

#9 6 years ago

Paragon, you're rarely safe

#10 6 years ago

Owmed alot of pins over the years but my afm bsd are the most unforgiving and brutal of any. Probably why they are my favorite pins ever.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

...Part of the fun for me is the "personality" of each title...

If this is true get away from most newer games. No real heart to the games.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

After my latest purchase, AFMRLE, I realized I added another " animal" to my lineup....

Well, at least with this game you got the time tested personality right. But brutal? AFM, MM and MB are usually considered great games for personality, but a bit of puff pieces to attract the masses.

While I am typing this I see other games that can have long game times. Some need an hour to complete. How it that "Brutal"?

Brutal it Stars, Paragon or HGTOWT.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

F - 14 is unsane.

Man, I've always wanted to play one of those!!!

#13 6 years ago

Oops double post

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

F - 14 is unsane.

My f14 games don't last long. I've never enjoyed playing it.

#15 6 years ago

AFMRLE is very close to a " total package" for me, but still in honeymoon phase. But this thing hits very hard, and absolutely relentless if you don't hit your shots ( drain wise). Strobe multiball almost made me lose my balance. I agree with you on the other 2....have a MB at my office ( not in my lineup as it's not mine) and have played MM a lot. Those are very controllable games for me.....this thing, however....yikes!!!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Well, at least with this game you got the time tested personality right. But brutal? AFM, MM and MB are usually considered great games for personality, but a bit of puff pieces to attract the masses.
While I am typing this I see other games that can have long game times. Some need an hour to complete. How it that "Brutal"?
Brutal it Stars, Paragon or HGTOWT.

This dude's old, so he thinks wood rails are brutal. Your reflexes start seriously slowing down around the time you begin taking Metamucil.

As for me, I thought Tron was fast until I got ACDC, which I thought was fast until I got GOT, which I thought was fast until SWLE. THAT game is f**king brutal. The ball careens around that inner loop and is in the trough before you can blink.

#17 6 years ago

Darkar is also a SOB

darka  (resized).jpgdarka (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Mine are no older than TAF, but definitely have their own vibe ( mostly either cocky or friendly, actually)

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Darkar is also a SOB

So many pins....I've never even seen that one before.....

#20 6 years ago

Flash friggin Gordon.
Also, its my favorite machine at the moment.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

This dude's old, so he thinks wood rails are brutal. Your reflexes start seriously slowing down around the time you begin taking Metamucil....

Your ranking is over 8,000 while I am under 800. Let's play for cash

Quoted from beelzeboob:

As for me, I thought Tron was fast until I got ACDC, ...

I have an AC/DC you boob. I realized fast without heart is not brutal. It is just annoying.

Brutal is Centaur with the outlane save gates taped shut. Or what your wife has to deal with.

#22 6 years ago

F-14, because it likes to give out ass whuppings on the reg.

Flash Gordon is also a genuine sonufabitch.

Either of these games will give you a good nipple twisting

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from radium:

F-14, because it likes to give out ass whuppings on the reg.
Flash Gordon is also a genuine sonufabitch.
Either of these games will give you a good nipple twisting

Yes, FG is one of those games!

#24 6 years ago

Jurassic Park: Lost World deserves a spot on this list. Those targets are brutal. By the time you can react, your ball has already drained. You are lucky if you can even get one mission completed / lit and getting to the wizard mode seems impossible.

#25 6 years ago

Flash Gordon. Everyone naming a game with a ball save timer is cute though.

#26 6 years ago

I'm still getting my ass kicked by martians at the moment....how anyone considers AFMRLE not brutal is beyond me....miss a shot or 2...drain city. Even the damn spaceship throws the ball sdtm, or at insane speed off axis until you can get the target down.....

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Your ranking is over 8,000 while I am under 800.

I don't compete, doofus. I did it once just so I could find out what overcompetitive douchebags with no life look like. (And it wasn't everybody, btw...just enough to spoil the experience for me.) While you're busy trying to earn $10 in prize money at shows, I'm meeting the people that make this hobby great. Like you, for instance.

#28 6 years ago

A clean/waxed black hole is no picnic. But, my overall vote goes BSD!

#29 6 years ago

F-14 and Nugent are very hard. My average game times when I owned them were less than 2 minutes. Whereas I can play games like KISS Pro and Austin Powers for 20-30 minutes.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't compete, doofus. I did it once just so I could find out what overcompetitive douchebags with no life look like. (And it wasn't everybody, btw...just enough to spoil the experience for me.) While you're busy trying to earn $10 in prize money at shows, I'm meeting the people that make this hobby great. Like you, for instance.

See, there you go lying again. I won $40 last time

#31 6 years ago

I remembered F-14 and Flash Gordon being tough back in the day when I was a young buck and by chance played them back to back over a two weekend period last year. I might have well been flipping with my toes.

#32 6 years ago

Sounds like an F14 or FG for the win....sadly, I've played neither.....

In my lineup, IMVE for the win, followed closely by Tron. Cursed my AFMRLE endlessly before turning off tonight, however....tomorrow another day....

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sounds like an F14 or FG for the win....sadly, I've played neither.....
In my lineup, IMVE for the win, followed closely by Tron. Cursed my AFMRLE endlessly before turning off tonight, however....tomorrow another day....

You have a very nice lineup to be bitch slapped by. Not sure if I've ever said that to anyone before lol.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm still getting my ass kicked by martians at the moment....how anyone considers AFMRLE not brutal is beyond me....miss a shot or 2...drain city. Even the damn spaceship throws the ball sdtm, or at insane speed off axis until you can get the target down.....

But it is so fun . I bought mine new in 1996 . I did extend the ball save timer . That is when I go for the center three bank shot . I play in the dark/lights out. Strobe multiball is insane lights out. Good purchase .

#35 6 years ago

Of the newer games I have played and owned, GB and TWD are both nut crackers. Love them both though.

#36 6 years ago

I agree with a lot of the posts here - F14 & Iron Man especially. A couple others that haven't been mentioned yet... On the classics side, Taxi! Gotta get all the passengers on one ball to get the jackpot, else it's back to square one. On the newer side, Ghostbusters. Man, you really have to concentrate on controlling the ball to tame that one. Brutal!

#37 6 years ago

IM and Tron for sure
but, in all honesty, at my skill level any game can be brutal at any given time...

#38 6 years ago

Robocop. Set up waxed and steep, we had on average 30 sec balls.

#39 6 years ago

BSD!

#40 6 years ago

Interflip Dragon. The most brutal and shortest ball times of any pin ever made. And yes, it's an EM.

I miss mine.
BAO!

#41 6 years ago

F-14 Tomcat is just vicious. My buddy had a clearcoated one that was merciless.

#42 6 years ago

Iron Man and Avatar. Very similar games and both are brutal.

#43 6 years ago

Yeah, yeah. I used to say the same ol' popular thing, IM, BSD, then graduated to Flash Gordon, but after a league season I now know what brutality really is, and its name is..
Sinbad.
The beginning and the end of the story. Why?
Well, for a start, there are three or four different ways for it to drain from the plunge without you even touching it. Then there's that novel idea about if you flip, you're dead. Oh, and try catch the ball and you'll just open up the flipper gap and voluntarily hand the ball to the drain gods.

#45 6 years ago

Every Flash Gordon I have ever played left me whining and cussing, all the while I am digging for more quarters.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

You have a very nice lineup to be bitch slapped by. Not sure if I've ever said that to anyone before lol.

Too funny, and yes, I believe you"re right!!!

#47 6 years ago

Gottlieb Central Park. Thread can close now.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

Gottlieb Central Park. Thread can close now.

Most difficult game I have ever played to avoid house balls and to cash in both specials.

#49 6 years ago

Bally Bus Stop is the toughest EM in my collection. Small flippers and brutal outlanes.

Errant shots almost always cause a quick outlane death and you better make the collect bonus shot or the ball will roll right down the center drain unimpeded after teasing you..

#50 6 years ago

I've played most of the above and I can't believe nobody has said MET! Fastest drains for me next to SW.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-would-you-consider-the-most-brutal-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.