(Topic ID: 156579)

What pin squandered a potentially great theme....

By lowepg

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20160413-080937_(resized).png
robocop2-03_(resized).jpg

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Sopranos .... There are ledgions about it, but I have yet to see a sopranos where the safe closes to a point where it doesn't look broken

Must be a problem unique to the Southern Hemisphere...

When I first played Sopranos back in the day, I thought that the safe mechanism would never hold up. But after owning mine, I can see that it's built pretty well. I haven't had a single problem with the safe on my game. Knocking on wood.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I'd say Popeye. Python was in a "Save the Planet" mode and wrote a draft for a movie script that accompanied the game. I love his creativity, but I like classic Popeye (1930's) a lot more. It would have been better if it was based on the awesome Sinbad the Sailor cartoon.

I like Popeye.

A few people saying IJ4, but that movie was just as terrible as the pin.

I think all of the Harley Davidson and Playboy pins were squandered themes.

#53 7 years ago

Batman Dark Knight

#54 7 years ago

Besides the other aforementioned disappointing Stern pins, I wish they could have done more with great potential themes.
It would have been nice to add these titles to my collection, if it weren't for the limited gameplay:
- Mustang
- Transformers
- Monopoly
- CSI

#55 7 years ago

GOT

#56 7 years ago

I supose roller coaster tycoon could have had some cool stuff. Never before seen ramps and such, some cool things with magnet's

#57 7 years ago

I like the Rollercoaster Tycoon playfield well enough, but boy, everything else is about as exciting as as bologna loaf.

#58 7 years ago

It's the only game I have ever walked away from with a ball still to go.

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Avengers
It's not terrible by any stretch and has some unique rules, but imagine how well this evergreen franchise could be selling with multiple Vault Editions as the movies continue to do well, if only the machine were better.

Have to disagree there. Avengers is a great game and certainly not a squandered theme.
It was produced at a time where stern were cost cutting more than usual so the dial in factor is right up there.... but squandered theme? Far from it.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Have to disagree there. Avengers is a great game and certainly not a squandered theme.
It was produced at a time where stern were cost cutting more than usual so the dial in factor is right up there.... but squandered theme? Far from it.

Not according to most people who played it, just look at the Pinside top 100 list. It is not on it. There are a ton of comic book lovers who wanted to love it. X-Men, Dark Knight and even Transformers is still on the top-100 list.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

You mean produced at a time when Stern hoped to sell Avengers pins based on theme alone.
So they made avengers as cheap as possible.

Avengers was the biggest licenced theme going. And the game is a turd.

It has nothing to do with "cost cutting"
It has to do with producing a crap product with the thought that people won't notice because it's the Avengers. (The biggest movie and highest grossing at the time)

Pins produced around or at the same time as Avengers. Posted below.

Screenshot_20160413-080937_(resized).pngScreenshot_20160413-080937_(resized).png

#62 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I would argue that Avengers is the greatest licensed theme that Stern has ever been lucky enough to get. If you agree with that, then the greatest licensed theme was combined with a generally mediocre machine. That to me is a squandered theme.

#64 7 years ago

I really wanted to like "Who Dunnit?". The theme & sound are great, but the gameplay just did not match the same level of excitement. "Champion Pub" is another one I really wanted to like, but the gameplay gets old on that one fast too.

#65 7 years ago

Gottlieb Sys1 "Charlie's Angels"

#66 7 years ago

Surprised no one has mentioned Southpark.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

Oh, that because it hurts so much we block it out. But you're right.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Not according to most people who played it, just look at the Pinside top 100 list. It is not on it. There are a ton of comic book lovers who wanted to love it. X-Men, Dark Knight and even Transformers is still on the top-100 list.

Who is "most people"? I place little to no stock in the pinside top 100. in fact what is the pinside top 100?

#69 7 years ago

Yep avengers sucked balls

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Who is "most people"? I place little to no stock in the pinside top 100. in fact what is the pinside top 100?

The Pinside top 100 is simple. It is a bunch of people who run out and dump thousands into a game before they ever play it. They vote it to the top because they have thousands invested in it. They tell everyone how great it is because they don't want to admit they spent thousands on a turd.

Then they sell the game the first chance they get and fix their votes to reflect how they really feel.

#71 7 years ago

In no particular order...

- South Park (It could have been so much better... love how The Simpsons have been integrated into a pin)
- Harley Davidson.
- Star Wars (x3)

#72 7 years ago

Do yu realize how much JJP or Stern would have to pay Disney for a Star Wars themed pin.... cha ching.... Star wars is so popular that I am sure they would require a commanding price right now especially with the new movies coming out and the theme park expanding

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Do yu realize how much JJP or Stern would have to pay Disney for a Star Wars themed pin.... cha ching.... Star wars is so popular that I am sure they would require a commanding price right now especially with the new movies coming out and the theme park expanding

You do realize it has been done 3 times already right?

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The Pinside top 100 is simple. It is a bunch of people who run out and dump thousands into a game before they ever play it. They vote it to the top because they have thousands invested in it. They tell everyone how great it is because they don't want to admit they spent thousands on a turd.
Then they sell the game the first chance they get and fix their votes to reflect how they really feel.

Funny post. Could be true in some cases for sure. On the flip side there are a bunch of folks who give the games bad ratings because they want to buy the game at a slightly lower price or are annoyed at folks who can afford such high priced pins.
Also for every rating of a 10 "best game ever!" There is a 1 rating "just could not get into it.". It all balances out.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

You do realize it has been done 3 times already right?

And Stern did make POTC so Disney licensing IS possible.

#76 7 years ago

Just based on what has been shown so far, Alien (Aliens?) pinball.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

And Stern did make POTC so Disney licensing IS possible.

And Disney owns Tron.

#78 7 years ago

For me it's Star Wars (all of them) and GOT on artwork.

#79 7 years ago

Popeye (and I speak as a long-term Popeye owner) - could have been really amazing. If they had just stuck with Classic 1940s-era Popeye, using all of the weird stuff from the old show, and maybe even taken the bold step of doing the entire machine in Black & White. This bizarre modernized eco-warrior Popeye. Feh. (I still like to play the game)

The Flintstones - same argument. Should have ignored the hideous, un-funny movie with Rosie O'donnell et al and just went 100% with the old 1960's cartoon. There are like a million classic lines and situations from the old show, and it would have been a timeless theme, not tied to the turd of a movie, but tying in with the movie's release.

Gilligan's Island. This is a beloved show, many awesome episodes (cheesy, but awesome) and how could they have fucked it into a cocked hat? Yet, they did. The bad cartoony art, the lackluster gameplay, weird shot layout - I HATE this game. It could have been sooooo much fun. Should have used art and photos right from the show, callouts from show dialog, and have the modes based on the best classic episodes; the Wizard Mode - Escape From The Island. Collect all of the Castaways, collect all of the raft parts, build the raft, avoid sharks, bad weather, and Russian Cosmonauts.

RussMyers

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

from the first post:

Quoted from lowepg:

So, while it would seem we could just say South Park, and drop the mic, what others come to mind?
personally. Im thinking:
but South Park is really painful.
Love the series, it was a fantastic opportunity for a great, adult-ly funny pin.....

I think SP is assumed to be the WORST theme fail of all time and not really needing discussion, hence its omission

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

And Disney owns Tron.

Oh sorry I didn't realize POTC and Tron had the following that Star Wars has

also I didn't realize Disney owned the rights to star wars when the other star wars pins were made thanks for clarifying

#82 7 years ago

Gonna go with Swords of Fury - Great theme, great art, great music, playfield looks awesome - but the gameplay gets old real fast and this is coming from a system 11 fanboy...

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

from the first post:

I think SP is assumed to be the WORST theme fail of all time and not really needing discussion, hence its omission

Another Balcor classic!

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Oh sorry I didn't realize POTC and Tron had the following that Star Wars has
also I didn't realize Disney owned the rights to star wars when the other star wars pins were made thanks for clarifying

Disney Bought Star Wars In 2012

#85 7 years ago

Who Dunnit.

Really liked the idea of a "Clue" themed game. Good art, music, theme and terrible software. The guilty person is *always* the first person suggested by the person speaking unless it is them. The weapons on the playfield have nothing to do with solving the mystery. Also the scoring is terribly unbalanced. Wanted to like this game but it was just a horrible implementation of a murder mystery theme.

#86 7 years ago

Stern Rolling Stones. The moving Mick target annoys me. It's an ok machine, but I'd rather have the old Bally.........

#87 7 years ago

Transformers. End of discussion.

#88 7 years ago

Raven.

Squander never more.

LTG : )

#89 7 years ago

Although the product/theme is great I don't know how they would make a good Harley Davidson game. That's a big steaming boring pile. Maybe a biker show around Harley Davidson lifestyle like sons of anarchy would work although tv show themes seem to be duds. 24, CSI, etc...

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Raven.
Squander never more.
LTG : )

Quoth the raven

#91 7 years ago

KISS. When you look at what was done with ACDC and Metallica, KISS just sucks in comparison. They have a bunch of campy songs/themes that could have really worked into the the artwork. But it seems that someone sold Simmons on putting his big painted head in it and it seems totally uninspired - looks like a rushed job for some quick cash...

#92 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Transformers. End of discussion.

Dreams of a G1-themed machine with a hand-drawn art package...

#93 7 years ago
Quoted from Number41:

Dreams of a G1-themed machine with a hand-drawn art package...

That would make for a killer Vault edition. I'd heavily consider it.

#94 7 years ago

The Gay 90s...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carol Stream, IL
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus
Lighting
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
6,575 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet Parts
Gameroom Mods
Cabinet parts
There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-squandered-a-potentially-great-theme/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.