Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DanMarino
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I’m a long time lurker, but first time poster. Going to buy my first machine soon, and have narrowed it down to four within my price range:

Taxi (Marilyn)
Demolition Man
Star Trek (2013, pro)
Centaur

I’ve played them all before, and enjoy them, but know that owning as an only machine is a different experience. So, that’s why I’m here. What pin should I buy?

#2 3 years ago

whichever one you think will sell the easiest for your initial spend. if you only have one pin, eventually you will want to swap it out for another

#3 3 years ago

If you don't know how to work on pinball machines, the star trek pro would be your best bet. If you do know how to work on machines, then try to play them all and get what you like the most.

#4 3 years ago

any of them will be a great one game collection

but they are all different and it comes down to the rules on how to play the game
Centaur is easy to learn in a couple of hours
Taxi
Demolition man
Star Trek will take weeks for you to learn the rules and play all its modes

#5 3 years ago

Depth of code on your four choices goes from newest to oldest:
#star_trek
Demolition Man
Taxi
Centaur
Centaur and Taxi you can learn all the rules in a few days. It comes down to execution. You’ll be doing the same thing a lot but they are both great games.
Demolition Man has many goals. With the latest code the claw is a fun and unique toy. You will not beat the Wizard mode in a month unless you’re a great player.
Star Trek is the deepest by far. Each of the six modes shown in the middle of the playfield has three levels. There is a mini wizard mode after you complete all six modes on any level. You will not beat the Five Year Mission (final wizard mode) within a year.

#6 3 years ago

Taxi
Star Trek
Demo Man
Centaur

#8 3 years ago

I would go Centaur. Maybe Demo Man

#9 3 years ago

If I'm choosing for myself:

Centaur
Taxi
Star Trek
Demo Man

If I'm choosing for you:

Star Trek
Demo Man
Taxi
Centaur

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

If I'm choosing for myself:
Centaur
Taxi
Star Trek
Demo Man
If I'm choosing for you:
Star Trek
Demo Man
Taxi
Centaur

My words coming out of your keyboard - scary!!

#12 3 years ago

All good to great games (I love Taxi) but I would say for a first game Star Trek.

#13 3 years ago

Star Trek pro is a great choice! My favorite stern layout

#14 3 years ago

meep, didn't think too hard before I spoke

(but also Taxi)

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

All good to great games (I love Taxi) but I would say for a first game Star Trek.

I think this is the way I'd go as well. If for some reason ST was not in really good condition and the Marilyn Taxi was, I'd take it.

#16 3 years ago

Is this the list you narrowed down to? ST Pro and, say, Taxi are widely different?

#17 3 years ago

If you can’t decide between these different styles of games, maybe consider who else will play them at your house.

#18 3 years ago

Wow, I didn’t expect this many replies! Thanks for the feedback, everyone! If everything were equal, I’d choose Star Trek purely for depth. However, I think Taxi is my best choice at the time. I don’t want to take a chance buying sight-unseen on the others during this pandemic.

#19 3 years ago

Go with ST Pro. It's the best of the choices by alot. I'd be concerned with staying power mainly with a first pin. ST will have the most staying power in a lineup. If I owned a ST Pro, I'd probably keep for more than a couple years before moving on. Plus, they hold their value pretty well, so you're not gonna lose much if you resell down the road.

Welcome to the addiction, friend.

#20 3 years ago

I have the same problem as the original poster. I need to buy my first pin and having a difficult time deciding what to get. Fortunately for him, his budget is larger than mine. haha.
Going with the Star Trek Pro sounds like a solid choice for the reasons people have already listed.
The last time I was at the arcade I played Taxi immediately after playing Led Zeppelin Pro. The difference in game play was astounding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 81.95
$ 109.00
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-should-i-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.