(Topic ID: 292336)

What pin made you fall in love with pinball?

By Scoot

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-26 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I remember what started my craze for pinball. It was a single machine I stumbled upon at my college campus back in 1989. It was a brand new Earthshaker Pinball machine. I have been hooked ever since.

What's your story?

#2 2 years ago
    #3 2 years ago

I played a lot of pinball in the 90s at bowling alleys while my parents bowled. Fast forward 2009 going through divorce questioning life. Came back to Utah to visit played Medieval Madness at a bar with my dad. Best time I had in years!!! That game and moment gave me hope that everything was going to be ok. Vowed one day I was going to get Medieval Madness and finally did.

#4 2 years ago
    #5 2 years ago

Aztec in the 70s, TAF in the 90s and WOZ in the past decade. I’m a bit of a tart obviously

#6 2 years ago

The epic journey that is Lord of the rings! Such an awesome machine <..>

#7 2 years ago

the new Stern Star Trek got me back into it. I played it on location at Hotel Hershey. Didnt even know they made new pinballs anymore. Finally just got my own Star Trek Vault Premium.

#8 2 years ago

I've always played and owned 1 pin at a time over 30 years. Buy once I played metallica , I was hooked. 31 pins in 3 years now here, only room for 7. Have 4 keepers and like to rotate other spots.

#9 2 years ago

I hadn't played in years, then I ran into a Ghostbusters at a movie theater. That day I decided I was going to get some sterns. The flipper gap sucks and the coding isn't the best, but I still think GB is a good one with a lot of fun factor. I Never got a GB because I prefer others, but it definitely kicked it back off for me.

#10 2 years ago

TOTAN on Pinball Arcade, and on location, Iron Man. Previously, I only played at events like Midwest Gaming Classic, but never enough to get hooked on a single game because I had no skills.

#11 2 years ago

There was an arcade in the lower level of Cinderella City..an amazing shopping mall in Denver.It was 1972.I was 10.Fireball was brand new.And I was hooked.

#12 2 years ago

Humpty Dumpty when it first came out! JK

Aquarius

#13 2 years ago

When I was 10, at JM Fields in Natick Massachusetts, I played pinball. Some EM space themed pinball machine. It was amazing. Just the noise and the fun.

#14 2 years ago

GTL Buckaroo was the first I remember playing - mid 1960’s in a roller skating rink in Wichita,KS.

#15 2 years ago

I was a mall rat and hung around the arcade as much as possible - the truancy officer always knew right where to find me.

I was more interested in video games but TFTC got me hooked on pinball. It only took three decades before I wised up and started bringing them home.

#17 2 years ago

I was 12 years old, and on a cub scouts camping trip one summer weekend at a lake.

It was swelteringly hot, and I had horrendous sunburn—so I really couldn’t find more relief swimming. It was just all around miserable.

The campground had a little storage container turned into a makeshift arcade. It had a gumball machine, claw game, and a Whirlwind. There were 3 things that hooked me: the fan felt AMAZING that hot day, the music the machine pumped out was invigorating, and little 12 year old me *really* wanted to know what would happen if I shot the left ramp when it was lit for the jackpot during multiball (spoiler: I never found out that day because I ran out of quarters).

Since then, I never cared too much what my collection consisted of, just as long as I had a Whirlwind in it.

#18 2 years ago

I've always enjoyed finding neat old stuff thats broken, worn out or neglected
    and restoring it. Over a third of a century ago, a Gtb Spiderman showed up
    in the classified ads and thats all she wrote. Have been hooked ever since. It helps
    that my wife enjoys playing as much as I like restoring and playing.
    Steve

#19 2 years ago

I played pinball in the arcades when I was little but never really appreciated it until just a couple years ago. For me, its not just playing pinball, its repairing machines that are 50, 60, 70 years old. I love that I can tinker around with a game and modify it if I so desire. I guess playing the first TMNT in the early 90’s helped a lot as well. Love those turtles!

#20 2 years ago

Fishtales

#21 2 years ago

TOTAN at our local arcade.

#22 2 years ago

Space Shuttle and Pinbot

#23 2 years ago

I was probably 8 years old and my grandpa pulled a chair up and set a roll of nickels in front of me and let me play a bingo pinball and the EM pinball next to it. The year would have been 1976. It wasn’t the specific machine it was just a complete fascination with that steel ball bouncing around under the glass!

It wasn’t until 1989 that I owned my first machine.

#24 2 years ago

BOP and FH at Putt Putt golf and games!

#25 2 years ago

TAF and MM

#27 2 years ago

I can't remember which games I liked back when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s. But it was WOZ that dragged me kicking and screaming into this sickness.

#28 2 years ago

The first pinball machine I played was a Williams ding dong at an old theatre. Ding dong sparked my interest, but Tron was really the game that got me into pinball.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nstone4425:

I played a lot of pinball in the 90s at bowling alleys while my parents bowled. Fast forward 2009 going through divorce questioning life. Came back to Utah to visit played Medieval Madness at a bar with my dad. Best time I had in years!!! That game and moment gave me hope that everything was going to be ok. Vowed one day I was going to get Medieval Madness and finally did.

Nice.

For me it was Space Cadet on windows 95 in 1995. I was 8 lived in the country and had no video games or cable, just stock windows 95 games. Our bowling alley we had for a few years before it burnt down had an Adam's family I got to play a few times but that was it till I was an adult when a local place got an EST and it got our of control then.

#30 2 years ago

It wasn't necessarily a specific pin as much as enjoying the ones that were at the bowling alley every Wednesday night of my Dad's bowling league. Sinbad was one I remember by name I guess, but what hooked me was just having a chance to play pinball.

#31 2 years ago

King Rock

#34 2 years ago

Bally Strikes and Spares

#35 2 years ago

Elvira and the party monsters

#36 2 years ago

Harlem Globetrotters! First game I ever won a free game on. What a feeling when you only have one quarter to your name.

#37 2 years ago

Motordome!!!!!! Absolutely not.
    In college, pizza place had Fire! Got me hooked. Started working, moved for jobs a lot, started attending TPF in the early 2000s when relocated to Dallas, wanted a pin. Transferred to Houston and found Poison Girl with a bank of pins when spider-man came out. Justified coin drop and beer cheaper than owning. 2017 SMVE first purchase and never looked back.

#38 2 years ago

1978 Playboy

#39 2 years ago

1995:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#40 2 years ago

I played a lot of EM pinballs in college 1972 (Melbourne Florida) Pizza place. I can remember them costing a quarter and making alot of bell sounds (tink, tink, tink). However, I really got into pinball after graduation. The one I played the most was in a rock n roll live music bar in Houston TX called DOME Shadows. The machine was a 1978 Playboy. I probably put enough quarters in it to buy it.

#41 2 years ago

F14 Tomcat was the first. Bought it used in 1991. Stayed up all night with my little brother and played till my fingers were sore. Went to bed when the sun came up.

#42 2 years ago

Bally circus
    Brought back memories of playing pins

#43 2 years ago

There was a Creature from the Black Lagoon in the lobby of my dorm freshman year of college. I spent most of my laundry quarters there

#44 2 years ago

Aladdin's Castle at the Myrtle Beach board walk in 1977. I was 11 going on 12. Which was just old enough to be able to process what I was looking at

image-26 (resized).jpgimage-26 (resized).jpg

#45 2 years ago

I was into retro-gaming on my NES and SNES back in 2014 and came across a game called "Super Pinball: Behind the Mask". It had three different playfields to choose from. I took a liking to it over the course of several months and found myself always coming back to play that game. It is what inspired me to give real pinball a try and the rest is history. Never was into pinball when I was younger and now I know what I was missing out on.

#46 2 years ago

As a kid, Paragon, which my Dad had in our home.

Later, Data East Simpsons and Twilight Zone.

Then Addams Family, TOTAN, and Hook.

Finally, after a pause, TSPP, LoTR, RBION, and then WOZ.

Now have nine at home and played (pre-COVID) in leagues and events. Can’t wait to get back to that.

Giddyup!

#47 2 years ago

That’s the one. My uncle had this one in his basement. During holidays I would play this machine, much to my mother’s dismay. Then he moved, and the next thing I knew there was a Twilight Zone and a Funhouse instead. Needless to say it was mind blowing to play both games. And I asked him, if he ever thought about selling them, to give me first dibs. Now the TZ is in my basement. TZ in the family since 1993.

#48 2 years ago

Woz, prior to that I dormant for years. Primary game was Pin Bot, then T2.

#49 2 years ago

Don’t have huge memories of playing as a kid but pinball started creeping into my life about 20 years ago. Played a South Park at the Bellagio arcade and then in 2006 a Striker Xtreme at hotel bowling alley. But the games that really got me hooked were at our favorite pizza place about 10 years after that... T2 and Funhouse. Hitting Rudy in the face to get a reaction, Arnold call outs and pop bumper sounds and music on both games are still my favorite.

#50 2 years ago

Original Black Knight slayed me first.

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-made-you-fall-in-love-with-pinball?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.