(Topic ID: 292336)

What pin made you fall in love with pinball?

By Scoot

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-26 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

Sorcerer and High Speed in 1986 at Tilt in Laguna Hills Mall. Then they got a Devil Riders in around '87. That thing was so weird and hard. Became obsessed.

#52 2 years ago

Cyclone.

I'd been playing pinball since the '70s, but to a teenage kid in the '80s, video games were more attention grabbing. But as I was constantly in the arcades I'd keep up with pinball as well, just secondary to video games. Cyclone was the first game I really noticed with a big personality and sense of humor, that had something more than targets to hit, and I became obsessed with it. Of course it wasn't the first pinball to have these traits, it was just the first one I noticed. And then shortly after that came Funhouse, and Addams, and so on with the great humor and presentation, while video games were going heavily towards fighters and away from classic arcade action, and pinball felt more exciting and unique and fun.

#53 2 years ago

My love affair with pinball began with Data East Guns N Roses.
    To this day it’s still one of my favorite pins.
    It’s like peanut butter and jelly in as far as what you see is what you get.
    Simplistic, yet complex.
    Most of my brother in laws and my wife’s brother are Guns N Roses fans and we have spent many a night drinking and playing that pin until the sun has come up.
    I look forward to the next time they are out so we can do it again. Especially so because I now have a JJP Guns N Roses to put alongside it.

#54 2 years ago

No Fear

#55 2 years ago

F-14 tomcat, Hook and DE Simpsons are the pins that it it going for me in the early 90s. Had to get them and will always have them in the collection. Oh the memories they bring back.

#56 2 years ago

The Shadow.

I always liked pinball, but didn’t seek it out. I always wanted a machine, but it was never the right time.

When COVID hit I became obsessed with the idea of pinball (I have NO idea why). I played on my phone, watched videos, and read a lot on Pinside. After lots of research I decided the Shadow was likely the best bang for my buck. I found one not too far away (but the border was closed) and had it shipped. I had played it at least once in my childhood, and remembered enjoying it.

It was the first machine I played while knowing what the objectives were. That, coupled with how great the machine feels, and I was completely sold. Can’t wait until I can join a league and go to tournaments.

#57 2 years ago

Lord of the rings.

#58 2 years ago

I cant really say exactly which pin, but I for sure know which pin got me starting to really enjoy EMs. And it was my good buddys Bow and Arrow. Just love those spinners and the bonus collect. Mmm

#59 2 years ago

Gogar

#60 2 years ago

Williams Flash (it was so different and "flashy"), then original Black Knight (two levels!), then I really got into video games, but have now come full circle and am back to pinball.

#61 2 years ago

HS2 at a local bowling alley just came out and was the new game. I just graduated HS and was where we went to go almost every night to smoke and play. Good times! Finally 10 years ago it circled back and was my first pin.

#62 2 years ago

Some EM game a friend of the family had in their basement growing up in the mid-70s. I still don't remember to this day what game it was but I'd spend the whole day down there playing it when we were visiting.

#63 2 years ago

Stargate really got me hooked. We were on family vacation at some beach. Went to a boardwalk arcade and I saw the row of pins. I feel like I spent hours playing that game, in reality it was probably close to 45min. My siblings and cousins blew through all of their quarters almost immediately, but I was able to hold onto some change and I've loved pinball ever since. I play Stargate any chance I get now, and eventually I will buy a really nice one.

#64 2 years ago

Bally Eight Ball and Playboy at a bowling alley when I was a kid

#65 2 years ago

I don't know a specific one, but I think I played High Speed early on, but mostly remember games like TAF, Guns 'n Roses, Jurassic Park and TFTC from the snackbar and DrWho and other 90's games: in the snackbars, campings and in the pub when I was 12 to 16 years old.

#66 2 years ago

For me it was not one pin but many...

STTNG at believe it or not-Red Robin restaurant lobby

WH20 at my local bowling alley

Adams, TZ, and Tommy at Tilt arcade

We had a crew that would take our lunch breaks from school and go & play. Those were the days

You can probably guess what year the pinball bug bit me?

#67 2 years ago

Funhouse

#68 2 years ago

no one game, but the good friends and many pinball acquaintances

#69 2 years ago

Got bored of a bowling trip as a small child, and my dad suggested I play something in the arcade area. They had a Rollergames, and I lost my first ball through the left INlane because I didn't know I was supposed to press the flipper button.

Then a ball trough switch malfunctioned and gifted me with an endless game. The rest is history.

#70 2 years ago

Dixieland in 1969!

#71 2 years ago

Gorgar at the local mini mart first.
    Then High speed in the blowing alley in 80s. I would stop by after school almost everyday and see how long I could make 75 cents last. I was wowed by it and knew I would have one someday. I just didn’t know HS would end up along side 19 others in my house!

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from jgelman:

Humpty Dumpty when it first came out! JK

Well not when it first came out, but it sat next to a Gottlieb Hurdy Gurdy in '68 at Pasttimes Lanes bowling alley back in Dayton Ohio, where my Dad had league bowling every Wednesday night. The HG was $0.25 a play for 5 balls, the Humpty Dumpty was $0.10 for 5 balls. The change from a beer frame (after buying a round for everyone) was $0.35 and my Dad would give it to my brother and I, and Mitch would drop a quarter in HG and I would play Humpty Dumpty. I was just tall enough to see over the lockbar. My Dad figured my Mom needed one night off a week so he took us with him and gave her Wednesday nights to herself. Big part of why they had good relationship, I think.

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

Stargate really got me hooked. We were on family vacation at some beach. Went to a boardwalk arcade and I saw the row of pins. I feel like I spent hours playing that game, in reality it was probably close to 45min. My siblings and cousins who blew through all of their quarters almost immediately, but I was able to hold onto some change and I've loved pinball ever since. I play Stargate any chance I get now, and eventually I will buy a really nice one.

Did you shoot the pyramid?

#74 2 years ago

WCS94

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

Did you shoot the pyramid?

You know it I was stoked when I saw that thing open up. I think the main reason that game drew me in was the seemingly endless multiballs.

#76 2 years ago

Several. Gorgar, Black Knight, Paragon, Flight 2000, Close Encounters, Totem, Silverball Mania, and many others from that era.

#77 2 years ago

Whatever game the bar had in it in the back corner when my parents would take me in the 80s. Then in the 90s it was Medieval Madness at the bowling alley. Then the recent one was Ghostbusters.

#78 2 years ago

I had access to a Gilligan's island as a kid. My best friend had one in his bedroom. Awesome times ! Also had taf at the arcade and t2 which really lit my fire !!

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-made-you-fall-in-love-with-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.