Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by TheRudyB
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

BK2K has 25. that was just a little curiosity I figured for a game that is often maligned as having 2 shots.
    I think the biggest thing is how they are used in the rules.

[WARNING - slight tangential diversion ahead]

BK2K get maligned a lot because folks can't help but separate their thinking along the natural lines between the upper playfield from the lower playfield. While the music was (and still is IMHO) the best in any pin, I hated the game when I encountered it in the wild over its first year it because of this split. But the music kept drawing me back to it

Then one day my thinking about it changed dramatically. I was talking to a friend as we were playing BK2K and for whatever reason I called it the "raised" playfield instead of the "upper" playfield as I always did. If I had done that with anyone else, that slight one-time change of terms I was using would not have affected me at all.

But what it did was make me realize that *ALL* pins have an upper and lower playfield - it's just that, in the overwhelming majority of them, the upper and lower playfields are in the same plane. Go back and look at all the rules, reviews, etc. you've read. You'll see "upper" and "lower" used in reference to games without a BK-style upper playfield. And while I'm not quoting these from any particular source, I have heard things like "on TZ the lock shot is tucked away between the right ramp and the piano on the upper playfield" - meaning the TOP part of the playfield, not a physically separate playfield in a raised plane to the main playfield. The are plenty more examples out there.

What that did was shift my philosophical approach [Rudy just interjected and said "Hey, it's only pinball!" in my head as I wrote that] and make me treat BK2K as if both playfields were in a single plane. My outlook changed. The game was instantly and infinitely more enjoyable to me and ultimately became one of my favorites.

When thinking of a single-plane playfield, how much stuff do you really want on the "lower" playfield anyway? The more stuff on the "lower" playfield, the more dangerous the shots. Doesn't most of the good stuff tend to be on the "upper" playfield to begin with? And isn't the "upper" playfield where the most satisfying shots tend to be?

Steve Ritchie loves (and one of the reasons I love Steve Ritchie games is because they frequently include) around-the-cabinet shots. And there is a GREAT around-the-cabinet shot in BK2K - you just have to consciously make the decision NOT to flip the upper flipper after shooting the skyway. The ball leaves and returns to a single plane during the shot, but the shot is there.

This has gotten way too long, so I'm intentionally cutting myself off. But next time you play BK2K or any game with what we traditionally call an "upper playfield" think about it as a single-playfield game when you play it a few times. It made a huge difference for me.

#52 4 years ago

If by "shots" were counting every target, hole, ramp, loop, VUK, etc., that the player can shoot from a flipper, then JJPPOTC has 35 by my count. I'm only counting the five star map targets as one since they only count as a single target shot from the player's standpoint. The magnet hits them uniquely. If you count the cannon shot to the British ship, that's 36, though it's not from a flipper.

#53 4 years ago

I've played it and yes that's a lot of shots. I'd be curious what the number is.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from JWJr:

I'm counting 18 on my TZ (6 from each lower flipper, 3 from each upper flipper) without_ counting GREED target shots.
    Realistically, I count 11 of those, making 29 total.

What about bank shots? My favorite shot in the entire game is (from bottom left or right flipper) the upper middle post to piano bank shot during multi-ball.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

[WARNING - slight tangential diversion ahead]
    BK2K get maligned a lot because folks can't help but separate their thinking along the natural lines between the upper playfield from the lower playfield. While the music was (and still is IMHO) the best in any pin, I hated the game when I encountered it in the wild over its first year it because of this split. But the music kept drawing me back to it
    Then one day my thinking about it changed dramatically. I was talking to a friend as we were playing BK2K and for whatever reason I called it the "raised" playfield instead of the "upper" playfield as I always did. If I had done that with anyone else, that slight one-time change of terms I was using would not have affected me at all.
    But what it did was make me realize that *ALL* pins have an upper and lower playfield - it's just that, in the overwhelming majority of them, the upper and lower playfields are in the same plane. Go back and look at all the rules, reviews, etc. you've read. You'll see "upper" and "lower" used in reference to games without a BK-style upper playfield. And while I'm not quoting these from any particular source, I have heard things like "on TZ the lock shot is tucked away between the right ramp and the piano on the upper playfield" - meaning the TOP part of the playfield, not a physically separate playfield in a raised plane to the main playfield. The are plenty more examples out there.
    What that did was shift my philosophical approach [Rudy just interjected and said "Hey, it's only pinball!" in my head as I wrote that] and make me treat BK2K as if both playfields were in a single plane. My outlook changed. The game was instantly and infinitely more enjoyable to me and ultimately became one of my favorites.
    When thinking of a single-plane playfield, how much stuff do you really want on the "lower" playfield anyway? The more stuff on the "lower" playfield, the more dangerous the shots. Doesn't most of the good stuff tend to be on the "upper" playfield to begin with? And isn't the "upper" playfield where the most satisfying shots tend to be?
    Steve Ritchie loves (and one of the reasons I love Steve Ritchie games is because they frequently include) around-the-cabinet shots. And there is a GREAT around-the-cabinet shot in BK2K - you just have to consciously make the decision NOT to flip the upper flipper after shooting the skyway. The ball leaves and returns to a single plane during the shot, but the shot is there.
    This has gotten way too long, so I'm intentionally cutting myself off. But next time you play BK2K or any game with what we traditionally call an "upper playfield" think about it as a single-playfield game when you play it a few times. It made a huge difference for me.

This does not fix the main flaw in the game though...you can play the game one-handed and still get high score.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from freakandgeek:

This does not fix the main flaw in the game though...you can play the game one-handed and still get high score.

And that's exactly the way I used to think and I'm talking about. Anytime you want to play the game one-handed against me playing it two-handed just let me know. We'll start low - how about only $100 a game?

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.