Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 418 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    E8209683-A29D-4A38-9CF5-E99518B8D97A (resized).jpeg
    20200601_212757 (resized).jpg
    Tomy Atomic Arcade (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    435v4r (resized).jpg
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    P4240317 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The Hobbit. ... After getting it fixed, it really is slow and monotonous in the home environment. Multiball after multiball with random modes thrown in. Not much fun. Great sound and theme integration though... beautiful machine, great theme... just not fun for me after a few weeks.

Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I wanted The Hobbit to be a good game so bad. I love the theme, but reviews like this have put me off from buying one.

Quoted from metallik:

Hobbit was a pin we almost regretted buying.. was in on preorder but didn't like the direction the game was going and bailed just before orders locked in. Very glad we did; I find it the weakest JJP title by far. Just a terrible playfield... no code could save that game

Quoted from RTS:

Another vote for Hobbit.
    It looked great at first and it took a couple of weeks before i was convinced it was a mistake. It was a piece of multi ball crap due to the layout and monotonous multiballs.
    I tried to mercy play it but that eventually became impossible.
    Like many others who have owned games that didn't click, the game became a symbol. Just looking at it made me feel shitty that I bought it.
    I sold it quickly enough and learned a lesson.

All interesting, as I love my Hobbit! While different from that of most games, I find its gameplay to be both fun and immersive. The current code, including being able to set it so that Smaug and Beast multiballs don't play simultaneously, is a big improvement over earlier editions. Absolutely beautiful playfield and lighting too!

No regrets at all. Just sayin'.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I feel the same way, but there will always be lovers and haters of this pin. I don't blame them for not liking it, it just isn't what they like and that's cool. If you buy a pin and hate it then it would be a regret. I've seen some mention Monster Bash, which I would love to own. Different strokes...

Absolutely - to each their own! Just wanted to put in a good word in The Hobbit's defense.

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

... Hobbit is the only game I think I’ve ever actively disliked. Wide open playfield, no satisfying shots ...

Ok, to each their own and I realize that this isn't a Hobbit thread, but I can't let these criticisms (often heard from Kaneda as well) go unaddressed. Hobbit is actually CHOCK FULL of satisfying shots for me - hitting the sweet spinners/orbits, gobble holes, ramps, and the variety of targets are all great fun. Even more so when time or availability (moving drop targets) to do so is limited in the course of the many well coded modes available!

Like WPT (another game I have owned and enjoyed), Hobbit is a game with a lot of long shots requiring accuracy and skillful timing. As such, completing them and then experiencing the fabulous associated audio/video/lighting effects is immensely satisfying for me!

#158 3 years ago

Fair enough and honestly, I think all JJP games - more so than others - are much more enjoyable in a home environment than on route. When Hobbit first came out and I played it in my favorite pinball bar (and with the original code) my appreciation for it was much less than it is now.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

It's more than fair! Owners are often biased. Players, much less so.

Yeah ... no. More often than not, a typical player's limited gameplay experience (and knowledge) on a game seems to lead to more bias than actually owning it.

1 year later
    #377 2 years ago

I don't exactly regret buying them, but two games that didn't live up to my pre-purchase expectations were TSPP and Batman 66.

On both, I not only found myself not playing them as much as my other games (a sure indicator of lacking fun for me), but also not finishing adding the crapload of quality mods I had purchased for them.

I mainly attribute their lack of play appeal for me to them being less than satisfying (somewhat clunky) shooters.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tuna_Delight.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-regret-buying?tu=Tuna_Delight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.