Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 418 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    E8209683-A29D-4A38-9CF5-E99518B8D97A (resized).jpeg
    20200601_212757 (resized).jpg
    Tomy Atomic Arcade (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    435v4r (resized).jpg
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    P4240317 (resized).JPG
    There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
    #351 2 years ago

I am gonna be unpopular here but for me it was deadpool pro. I enjoyed the game but it just wasn’t the right fit for me and I should have bought a starwars premium instead. Haven’t been able to get my hands on starwars premium so I am hoping mandalorian premium will be a redemption.

#352 2 years ago

I haven’t regretted buying anything yet. The pin that lasted the least amount of time in the collection was Earthshaker. Went great with my Whirlwind but I just got bored of center ramp over and over again. Got out of it for what I had in it.

Now I just bought a Black Pyramid project for $300 that might make a good run at the title…

#353 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

I can understand the R911 hate if your helicopter was never 100%. It's the entire game, basically.
    Don't have a whole lot to say about Alien Star.
    I'm surprised that TSPP annoyed you for that reason. I guess I would suggest not buying Stern's POTC if you don't like that.
    Class of 1812 is most assuredly *not* all multiball...but it *is* all left ramp, all the time. That, I'll spot. Still, I really have a soft spot for that machine, especially for its (what I consider to be) fantastic music and voices. More fun than it really deserves to be, I think.

Funny, I almost included POTC as another regret. I traded for it and had never played it, just watched a few videos. The gameplay seemed to be all side-to-side. It didn't last long either. All of this negativity for a few well-liked pins, but I've enjoyed, more or less, Ghostbusters Pro and an LE when I had those at various times and was ok dealing with the frustrating drains from those two versions compared to the titles listed above.

1812 was just ramps and that giant saucer shot in the middle. I was always starting multiball as the ball would constantly fall into that saucer.

#354 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Well, I think both are terrific, so I'm not bagging on either (I own both as well).

Yes they are both terrific and Simpsons is the deeper game but it wasn't about the lack of flow for me. For me it was more of Bart's call outs. When in multiball he's directing you what to shoot at but you already know the shots and don't have to be told if you're that deep in the game. It would be nice if there was a setting that shut off Bart's advice.

#355 2 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

1812 was just ramps and that giant saucer shot in the middle. I was always starting multiball as the ball would constantly fall into that saucer.

I used to play 1812 when it was new on location. With proper Premier Gottlieb flippers, the game was leftrampleftrampleftrampleftrampleftrampleftrampleftrampleftrampleftrampleftramp, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. It was killable from the backhand, so making it consistently was the best/only way to play it. Yes, it would help if you were in multiball, since it was *always* lit during multiball, but even if you weren't in multiball: three consecutive shots to it (via backhand usually, of course) lit the Unlimited Million anyway. So it basically *was* always available, with a little bit of effort. Cactus Jacks is the same way, but slightly different (Jack's Pot is the third shot in a row on that one). Both are games that I enjoy for a bit when I see them...but yes: owning them might be a bit too much overkill for me.

The saucer shot doesn't *always* start multiball, you know. There are plenty of other awards it can (and does) give, probably settings-dependent.

#356 2 years ago
    Quoted from Enron64:

I am gonna be unpopular here but for me it was deadpool pro. I enjoyed the game but it just wasn’t the right fit for me and I should have bought a starwars premium instead. Haven’t been able to get my hands on starwars premium so I am hoping mandalorian premium will be a redemption.

You're not unpopular with me. I seriously do not understand the love for that machine. I find the playfield design to be too seriously flawed for me to enjoy in any meaningful way. Funny/Amusing? OK, I can spot that. Fun to play? Yeah...I'm not sure I can get there with you.

#357 2 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

The gameplay seemed to be all side-to-side.

Can you flesh that out a bit for me? I'm not grasping your meaning.

#358 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

You're not unpopular with me. I seriously do not understand the love for that machine. I find the playfield design to be too seriously flawed for me to enjoy in any meaningful way. Funny/Amusing? OK, I can spot that. Fun to play? Yeah...I'm not sure I can get there with you.

Yeah I don’t get the love for it either. I mean I did enjoy playing it but after 4 months it started to just sit there and I would just play the Atari Superman sitting beside it. That didn’t feel right to me so deadpool left the building. I liked the humour but the game just had a weird feeling to me and the shots were off for me. It was my first NIB and I really struggled with it not clicking haha.

#359 2 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Judge Dredd. Ugh, just thinking about that game makes me dry heave. I went to look at a Rollergames, but the playfield was too blown out and I didn't want to invest the time. However, he also had a Judge Dredd, and I ended up flinging it in my truck. What a mistake. I got it home and cured a few issues so it was fully playable, and I was going to give it a full shop job... but I decided to play it for a while first. I was a bit surprised how much I didn't like it. But I put that down to the fact that I was looking at it, and it was going to be a pretty involved shop job. But then as I played it more, I realized it wasn't the fact that it needed a full shop job, I hated the shots. I hated not being able to see the ball well, I hated the rules, I hated the inlanes, I hated everything about the game.
    Two weeks later, I hated pinball. I hated having them in my house. I wanted to quit the hobby by just owning this turd. That night, the ad went up. I put it up for the same price I paid, and sounded desperate to get rid of the load. Someone offered me $400 bucks less than I paid for it, and it was gone the next afternoon. It is the only pinball machine I've owned that I hated like that. Within an hour of it being gone I was happily playing pinball in my house again, and all was good with the world. I've played a few different copies of Dredd since then... and hated it each time. I can't look at that playfield without thinking a sledgehammer and a deep hole is the only fix for it.
    I only partially regret buying it. I did learn that it is a lot better to come back with an empty truck than a pinball machine you are not 100% on board with buying. And I also learned JD was the worst pinball machine ever made and every copy should be tossed in the bin.

How about some thoughts on demolition man?

#360 2 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

How about some thoughts on demolition man?

I know I'm not the one you asked, but Demo Man is five times the game that Dredd is. Not that that's sending DM into the stratosphere or anything, but DM is a much, *much* better machine all-around than Dredd is. DM has its issues, but they're nothing compared to Dredd's. That being said, Dredd is still far better than Popeye. I believe that being burned with cigarettes is likely better than Popeye.

#361 2 years ago

SWEP1...got a good deal but did not like it at all. What a lame game. Should have thrusted the ratings. I do enjoy my RFM way more.
    Sold it for the same price to a friend who enjoys it

#362 2 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic - The feed from the pops straight into the right sling-shot made me instantly hate it.

Earthshaker - It was cool having Whirlwind and Earthshaker side by side but it the gameplay is nowhere near Whirly.

Robocop - The music, theme and call-outs are amazing but the extremely basic gameplay meant it left after two weeks.

#363 2 years ago

What pin do I regret buying ?? I win .. lol .

IMG_0251 (resized).JPGIMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    #364 2 years ago
    Quoted from MIL:

What pin do I regret buying ??
    //<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"829b1c47e0c7274cdf33ae7df3f92f1ad69ae7b3-1624961019-1800"};
    //]]>

I win .. lol .[quoted image]

Yes you do......win, Er I mean lose

#365 2 years ago

This might not be a popular choice...for me it was MB LE. Collect the monsters, the instruments, monster bash, monsters of rock and mosh pit. Hit the scoop and yawn. Bought it as a family pin, even the family got bored with it and 10 months later it was gone...

#366 2 years ago
    Quoted from Angel:

This might not be a popular choice...for me it was MB LE. Collect the monsters, the instruments, monster bash, monsters of rock and mosh pit. Hit the scoop and yawn. Bought it as a family pin, even the family got bored with it and 10 months later it was gone...

Had you not played it beforehand? There are a lot of those around.......

i love the theme and people like it because it's not tooo hard to understand so we've had ours forever.

#367 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Had you not played it beforehand? There are a lot of those around.......
    i love the theme and people like it because it's not tooo hard to understand so we've had ours forever.

The family played it several times at the distributor and all of us liked it. It was entertaining. The fun factor of the machine ended too quickly for us although, other pins in the collection were more challenging...and the MB was played less and less

#368 2 years ago

#NBAFB (traded a fish tales) No matter how good I play and how high my score is, I just don't feel like I've accomplished anything.
    Should have just sold fish tales and bought something on my whishlist...

#369 2 years ago

Theatre of Magic. Only because I have to admit to buying it three times now.

#370 2 years ago

I would have to say 3 machines.
    Munsters: code didn’t meet my expectations.
    The Hobbit: I hurt my back on that pig setting it up by myself in my basement. Wow! What a tank.
    Ball times were just incredibly too long.
    Capcom game wit the a lot of metal ramps. It was a jet fighter type theme. Can’t remember the name of the game right now but I just couldn’t get into it.

#371 2 years ago

Wizard of Oz. A collection of some great ideas thrown onto the Playfield like a pair of dice. Snake eyes. The King of no flow.

#372 2 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

Capcom game wit the a lot of metal ramps. It was a jet fighter type theme. Can’t remember the name of the game right now but I just couldn’t get into it.

Airborne. Just for reference.

#373 2 years ago

I have a few regrets from pinball purchases... Johnny Mnemonic re-import that the slow glove drove me crazy(could not wait to get rid of it), Slugfest was a snoozefest and lasted only a couple weeks(made me realize I do not care for novelty games), Star Wars Episode 1 (realized the pinball 2000 system was not my cup of tea), Iron Man Classic (most difficult game to resell due to missing magnet), Skateball (thought the theme would help me like classic single level games and realized TNA(SS on steroids) is all I need for that fix).

Overall I really do not have regrets because I learned lessons from them and it helped me realize what games I truly care for.

#374 2 years ago

stern TMNT, I hate that game so much

#375 2 years ago

What about it, music? Shots? Theme? Its too easy?

#376 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

I know I'm not the one you asked, but Demo Man is five times the game that Dredd is. Not that that's sending DM into the stratosphere or anything, but DM is a much, *much* better machine all-around than Dredd is. DM has its issues, but they're nothing compared to Dredd's. That being said, Dredd is still far better than Popeye. I believe that being burned with cigarettes is likely better than Popeye.

Thats nice to hear, but i always see these 2 compared against each other but never played dredd in real life and own a dm. But i dont understand peoples preferences one over the other.

#377 2 years ago

I don't exactly regret buying them, but two games that didn't live up to my pre-purchase expectations were TSPP and Batman 66.

On both, I not only found myself not playing them as much as my other games (a sure indicator of lacking fun for me), but also not finishing adding the crapload of quality mods I had purchased for them.

I mainly attribute their lack of play appeal for me to them being less than satisfying (somewhat clunky) shooters.

#378 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

games that didn't live up to my pre-purchase expectations were TSPP

Funny how opinions differ.

TSPP is one game I have never regretted buying. I find it brilliant on all levels, layout, rules, dots and callouts.

#379 2 years ago

I dont overpay for games sp i dont regret buying any of them . when it comes time to sell. I ways make money or break even. And i know better than to buy a sf 2 or xfiles. Could have bought 3 diff sf2s for $600 . $400 and $500. Glad i passed on all 3.

#380 2 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

What about it, music? Shots? Theme? Its too easy?

the art is great, sure, but....
    the terrible use of assets, cringe worthy call outs, clunky animations that are nothing like the turtles and all over "mehh" feeling game play, leaves me sore about dropping $12.5k(aud) on what was a dream theme over the much more fun and overall better package of deadpool.
    it just doesn't make me want to play another game.
    I got that stinker out of my house and stuck it out on site at a pub with high radio of little kids with their parents going for pub lunch on weekends and, it does alright. I just turned the ball save up to maximum and they bash the flippers and watch the lights and dance to the song at the end and I went and got a deadpool and everybody is happy.

#381 2 years ago

I have never kept a game, as I use collecting as a way to learn a game and move it on. Game that left the collection quickly:
    Sting Ray
    DE TMNT

#382 2 years ago

Bally Elektra
    In my opinion it’s the runt of the 1981 litter.
    Didn’t expose myself to her radiation too long. Maybe two weeks and she was gone.

#383 2 years ago

So far i haven't regret buying a game because it was bad to play. Just frustrated with the issue on fixer ups. I have been lucky to play so many games and some stinkers that i know to steer clear of.

#384 2 years ago

The Lost World:Jurassic Park. Beautiful machine, not a mark on it. Gameplay, though...chopping wood. It sits unplugged in a spare room, I don't think I could give it away.

#385 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rik_:The Lost World:Jurassic Park. Beautiful machine, not a mark on it. Gameplay, though...chopping wood. It sits unplugged in a spare room, I don't think I could give it away.

Id have it shipped to canada and rid you of its foul memories and free up all kinds of room in your residence!! I heard if you keep it unplugged its worse than owning it at all! Let me free you of its presence!!

#386 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rik_:

The Lost World:Jurassic Park. Beautiful machine, not a mark on it. Gameplay, though...chopping wood. It sits unplugged in a spare room, I don't think I could give it away.

I'll take it!

#387 2 years ago

I couldnt resist a decently priced nice original Medieval Madness back in the day when it was a tough one to get...

I have no idea what people see in that game... corny humor and bored me to death.

best game of all time?? uh huh.

Wh20 is another one.. kinda fun but fugly and gets old quick.

#388 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I couldnt resist a decently priced nice original Medieval Madness back in the day when it was a tough one to get...
    I have no idea what people see in that game... corny humor and bored me to death.

Wow. Do you come from Bizarro World or something?

I mean, okay, MM bored you...I cannot relate at all, but to each his own, you know?

Here's what I'm absolutely gobsmacked about: WH2O being *fugly*??!?!??!?? Honestly: the machine is, what, about 30 years old now, and this, this right now is the absolute *first* critique of that game's artwork I have ever heard in my life. I think that machine is an absolute *stunner*, top-to-bottom!!! John Youssi did a *terrific* job on that machine!

There are machines which are highly regarded for their artwork in which I don't care for that particular style, myself: TOTAN would definitely qualify for this. Tons of people rave about the art on that machine...and I just cannot appreciate it. I don't say it's fugly, though, I just realize that that particular style isn't for me. There's a big old difference.

#389 2 years ago

Vector tops the list for me, with X’s & O’s a close 2nd. NGG was my least favorite DMD, but at least I didn’t lose money selling it.

#390 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

Wow. Do you come from Bizarro World or something?
    I mean, okay, MM bored you...I cannot relate at all, but to each his own, you know?
    Here's what I'm absolutely gobsmacked about: WH2O being *fugly*??!?!??!?? Honestly: the machine is, what, about 30 years old now, and this, this right now is the absolute *first* critique of that game's artwork I have ever heard in my life. I think that machine is an absolute *stunner*, top-to-bottom!!! John Youssi did a *terrific* job on that machine!
    There are machines which are highly regarded for their artwork in which I don't care for that particular style, myself: TOTAN would definitely qualify for this. Tons of people rave about the art on that machine...and I just cannot appreciate it. I don't say it's fugly, though, I just realize that that particular style isn't for me. There's a big old difference.

Why yes I did.

I guess I dont have the required Sasquatch fetish?

Its cartoony and all that but yah I suppose just not my style. Game is way overrated in general... its unique Ill give it that.

#391 2 years ago

Why yes I did.
    I guess I dont have the required Sasquatch fetish?
    Its cartoony and all that but yah I suppose just not my style. Game is way overrated in general... its unique Ill give it that.

See, I can live with that a lot more than calling it fugly. I do not agree with the idea that it's overrated, as I think it deserves all the accolades that it gets, but to each his own. Nothing is for everybody. And you're right: its uniqueness is paramount.

#392 2 years ago

FWIW, I regret selling my WhiteWater, especially for $2500 with new boulders. I enjoy playing it my friend’s house now.

#393 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

FWIW, I regret selling my WhiteWater, especially for $2500 with new boulders. I enjoy playing it my friend’s house now.

Oh, my gosh...I regret it *for you*. Man alive, I love that game.

#394 2 years ago

Please rate the game here on pinside. This game does not belong in the top 10 in my opinion. Based on nostalogical value it has the no 1 position. I can’t rate the game because i dindt play enough and won't be fair to rate it…

#395 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

Please rate the game here on pinside. This game does not belong in the top 10 in my opinion. Based on nostalogical value it has the no 1 position. I can’t rate the game because i dindt play enough and won't be fair to rate it…

Medieval Madness is an all-time great. Not just a Hall of Famer. A legend. It continues to shine like a National guitar, even today. Few games compare.

#396 2 years ago
    Quoted from Munsters:

Oh I dont care enough to do that.

It is interesting that I love AFM but MM bores me to tears...

Not really sure why that is as they are both in the same ballpark game playwise. AFM just works for whatever reason.

#397 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

See, I can live with that a lot more than calling it fugly. I do not agree with the idea that it's overrated, as I think it deserves all the accolades that it gets, but to each his own. Nothing is for everybody. And you're right: its uniqueness is paramount.

Its fun but there is a big difference between fun and great.

There are a ton of games Ill play and have a great time but Im good after a play or two and thats one of them.

BOP is awesome also but I dont need to own one.

#398 2 years ago

I think if the castle scoring in MM was nerfed, and instead going for the super stack mb was the better scoring option, my opinion of it would improve greatly.

I used to love the game... when I could find one that actually worked. By the time the remake was everywhere, I had played in too many tournaments at which point the game is almost always, shoot the castle.

#399 2 years ago

Its Houdini for me!! Loved the theme, but didn't get into those close middle shots at all!!Traded it for a RZ! I like that title a lot more!!

#400 2 years ago

Houdini. Way too difficult for me, dreadful animations. Such a waste of a fantastic theme and incredible artwork. Also didn't help i ended up selling it to pretty much the only douchebag i have encountered in this hobby so far.

Also Wonka, but only kind of. Just expected more toys/mech wise. Sold it for decent profit though, so all is good.

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-regret-buying/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.