Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 418 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    E8209683-A29D-4A38-9CF5-E99518B8D97A (resized).jpeg
    20200601_212757 (resized).jpg
    Tomy Atomic Arcade (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    435v4r (resized).jpg
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    P4240317 (resized).JPG

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
    #301 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Judge Dredd. Ugh, just thinking about that game makes me dry heave. I went to look at a Rollergames, but the playfield was too blown out and I didn't want to invest the time. However, he also had a Judge Dredd, and I ended up flinging it in my truck. What a mistake. I got it home and cured a few issues so it was fully playable, and I was going to give it a full shop job... but I decided to play it for a while first. I was a bit surprised how much I didn't like it. But I put that down to the fact that I was looking at it, and it was going to be a pretty involved shop job. But then as I played it more, I realized it wasn't the fact that it needed a full shop job, I hated the shots. I hated not being able to see the ball well, I hated the rules, I hated the inlanes, I hated everything about the game.
    Two weeks later, I hated pinball. I hated having them in my house. I wanted to quit the hobby by just owning this turd. That night, the ad went up. I put it up for the same price I paid, and sounded desperate to get rid of the load. Someone offered me $400 bucks less than I paid for it, and it was gone the next afternoon. It is the only pinball machine I've owned that I hated like that. Within an hour of it being gone I was happily playing pinball in my house again, and all was good with the world. I've played a few different copies of Dredd since then... and hated it each time. I can't look at that playfield without thinking a sledgehammer and a deep hole is the only fix for it.
    I only partially regret buying it. I did learn that it is a lot better to come back with an empty truck than a pinball machine you are not 100% on board with buying. And I also learned JD was the worst pinball machine ever made and every copy should be tossed in the bin.

Dave H. Thank you. One of the best posts I have ever read on Pinside. And I am a fan of JD! Well done! john

#302 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Judge Dredd. Ugh, just thinking about that game makes me dry heave. I went to look at a Rollergames, but the playfield was too blown out and I didn't want to invest the time. However, he also had a Judge Dredd, and I ended up flinging it in my truck. What a mistake. I got it home and cured a few issues so it was fully playable, and I was going to give it a full shop job... but I decided to play it for a while first. I was a bit surprised how much I didn't like it. But I put that down to the fact that I was looking at it, and it was going to be a pretty involved shop job. But then as I played it more, I realized it wasn't the fact that it needed a full shop job, I hated the shots. I hated not being able to see the ball well, I hated the rules, I hated the inlanes, I hated everything about the game.
    Two weeks later, I hated pinball. I hated having them in my house. I wanted to quit the hobby by just owning this turd. That night, the ad went up. I put it up for the same price I paid, and sounded desperate to get rid of the load. Someone offered me $400 bucks less than I paid for it, and it was gone the next afternoon. It is the only pinball machine I've owned that I hated like that. Within an hour of it being gone I was happily playing pinball in my house again, and all was good with the world. I've played a few different copies of Dredd since then... and hated it each time. I can't look at that playfield without thinking a sledgehammer and a deep hole is the only fix for it.
    I only partially regret buying it. I did learn that it is a lot better to come back with an empty truck than a pinball machine you are not 100% on board with buying. And I also learned JD was the worst pinball machine ever made and every copy should be tossed in the bin.

Interesting reading. Thanks for sharing. Now I want to test it at least once just to see. It is not the first time I read really bad comment regarding this pin.

On my side, I don’t regret anything, maybe a bit MB ( boring at the end) a bit of AC DC but I had fun anyway.

#303 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Indiana Jones, Stern. I bought it NIB and what a horrible decision I made. I can't even describe how bad a game it is....... it's so bad on so many levels. Holy...... freakin........god....... it's bad. Just ask Pinlawyer, he'll back me up on how bad it is.
    QSS
    PS I just wanna scratch my eyes out just thinking how bad this games is. F#ck me........ it's bad!!!!
    QSS

This may be the best post I've ever read. If I ever get anywhere near this pin I'm putting on my mask and gloves and giving it a wide berth...

#304 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So you're lukewarm on it?

#305 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I never played this machine, but I have heard so much HATE about it. All I know is he start of multiball looked cool.

The game is okay, the rules are a bit brutal..... Hit this shot 14,000 times, now hit this shot 20,000 times.... Just, very uninspired. I don't even mind the Crystal Skull references, as I am apparently the only person on earth who didn't mind the 4th movie at all.

#306 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Indiana Jones, Stern. I bought it NIB and what a horrible decision I made. I can't even describe how bad a game it is....... it's so bad on so many levels. Holy...... freakin........god....... it's bad. Just ask Pinlawyer, he'll back me up on how bad it is.
    QSS
    PS I just wanna scratch my eyes out just thinking how bad this games is. F#ck me........ it's bad!!!!
    QSS

Especially if your comparing it to the Williams IJ, which is an incredible pin (IMHO)

#307 3 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Especially if your comparing it to the Williams IJ, which is an incredible pin (IMHO)

Williams IJ is a great pin if you aren't the one maintaining it.

Many an intrepid operator has been felled by the Path of Adventure.

#308 3 years ago
    Quoted from KickahaOta:

I can totally see that.....It took me a while to dial in the POA, but once thats done its a blast to play....In a home environment its not that hard to maintain, but I can see it being a challenge on location....that being said there are several games that fall into that category i.e. TZ, STNG

#309 3 years ago
    Quoted from KickahaOta:

My first pin was Williams IJ 20 years ago. Owned it for 5 years. Only thing i had to fix in that time was replace a microswitch in the Path of Adventure. I fixed it myself without much problems. Guess i got lucky.

#310 3 years ago

Here I go again with the back in the old days speech.
    If I remember correctly, the wms indy had a code update to help with path of adventure. The original code moved to far left and right causing the gears to grind as the playfield hit back and forth. I remember replacing almost every gearbox and motor on indy when it came in. Most operators didnt even look at service bulletins. This was great for me because I bought all these "troubled" games for 600 bucks.

#311 3 years ago

Bought a Monopoly because I (1) wanted an affordable modern Stern (2) like the theme and the game looks very pretty (3) think Pat Lawler is a genius (4) thought the layout with 3 flippers and lots of ramps was awesome..... But Holy $#!+ is this game underwhelming. Zero strategy, zero risk/reward, and not really any "oh wow, this is awesome" moment while you're playing. Shopped mine out thoroughly and sold it to break even. Never again

#312 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigBangBack:

Bought a Monopoly because I (1) wanted an affordable modern Stern (2) like the theme and the game looks very pretty (3) think Pat Lawler is a genius (4) thought the layout with 3 flippers and lots of ramps was awesome..... But Holy $#!+ is this game underwhelming. Zero strategy, zero risk/reward, and not really any "oh wow, this is awesome" moment while you're playing. Shopped mine out thoroughly and sold it to break even. Never again

Not to mention that little Water Works rotating flipper that was constantly getting stuck against the ball or just breaking entirely. Leading to Service Bulletin 130, with one of the more dubious opening sentences in service bulletin history: "This is a very simple and reliable design that can take a beating, thanks to it’s unique clutch design." Yeah, because simple and reliable designs always have to have a service bulletin released just for them. Also, somewhere my fourth grade English teacher is reading this and grinding a pencil on his desk.

Other Monopoly engineering innovations included the excitingly-miswired Electric Company sign, the sound system that Stern never dreamed anyone would want to turn down, the spine-chilling Center Ramp Airball Ride, and the amazing self-destructing autoplunger.

#313 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lame33:

I wouldn't say I regretted buying it as I only intended to keep it for a year, but I think liked the idea of owning Swords of Fury more than actually owning one.

I own SoF and I can never sell it because it's the one machine that all of my friends enjoy, but I get what you mean. It would benefit enormously from an eight digit display; I rolled it in the first couple months of owning it. I still enjoy it, but once you roll a machine, there isn't much else to shoot for.

Although I will say that aiming for the jackpot never fails to get my pulse pounding. It's just hard to get to that point because the ball lock is such a bizarrely tight shot, at least on mine.

#314 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Honest Question:
    If JD had pop bumpers would you have liked it more?

#315 3 years ago

I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about JD as a whole, but I can't look at the playfield of an unmodded one without being sad at the utter waste of time and money and effort that Deadworld wound up being once it was nerfed to no longer physically lock balls.

#316 3 years ago

What pin do I regret buying?
    Well, my answer is either: "the first one" or "none of them".

2 months later
    #317 3 years ago

Haunted House, because once I got it home it stopped working and I have not been able to get it fully working. Mr. Mrs. Pac man, all I did was put LEDs in it and it stopped working. Ever since I have not been able to get it going. Both good condition, but both are currently sitting collecting dust....

#318 3 years ago

4 months later
    #319 3 years ago

WOZRR - looked amazing and such a stinker game play wise. Sold it 2 weeks later.

#320 3 years ago

No Fear
    Judge Dredd
    Junk Yard
    they have in common no bumpers

#321 3 years ago
    Quoted from wellarmed:

No Fear
    Judge Dredd
    Junk Yard
    they have in common no bumpers

I have yet to put time in on Judge Dredd, but I agree with you on the other two.

#323 3 years ago

Raven was the game I shouldn't have bought. I bought a semi-working project. I assumed getting it working wouldn't be a problem, and even though I read many reviews, I thought, "How bad could it really be?"

Well, it was a bitch to haul downstairs and even more of a bitch to repair. It had more problems than I thought, uncommon problems that I spent a lot of time troubleshooting, plus a couple hundred bucks in parts.

Once I got it working, THAT'S when I found out how bad it was. The gameplay was fun, but the rules were awful.....AWFUL! The game needs multiball, badly. And the ramp, it’s a narrow shot that you have to make squarely or the ball won't make it all the way up and around. Once you've hit the required targets to lower it and you make the shot you get, what, a 50% chance at a bonus multiplier? Are you kidding me?

And trying to sell it? Nobody wanted it at a reasonable working-game price. I ended up taking a loss and selling it slightly above project-game price.

#324 3 years ago

X-Men has been mentioned several times...still a no-go or does later code redeem it?

#325 3 years ago

viper night drivin'

loved it for a day. lost my ass on the resale. never again.

i suppose its a lesson. we must learn!

#326 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I have yet to put time in on Judge Dredd, but I agree with you on the other two.

NF is really a dud, i agree.
    JY is same as NF. just a bad design

JD though, thats a good game! I had one for a long time. No regrets!

#327 3 years ago

Spy Hunter was a dud for me, and was it hard to sell in the 90's. Almost parted it out.

#328 3 years ago
    Quoted from BigBangBack:

Yeah, I feel you on this one. I bought one a coupple months ago. let me say the design is pretty good, not perfect or amazing, but pretty good. the problem is the CODE is so shallow. I never criticize code. this is the first game i have criticized code in a real way on.

I'm selling it soon hopefully. hope to just make my money back. we will see.

#329 3 years ago

Gottlieb Time Line
    Hated concept, game play , sound and tic tac toe thing.
    Bought 2 to make one back when i thought any game that was a good deal was worth owning.
    My strategy on aquiring games now is much different.

#330 3 years ago

Road Show

#331 3 years ago

Tee'd Off and Hobbit

#332 3 years ago

Motordome and judge Dredd.

#333 3 years ago

Bally Fore!
    Thought it would be kewl with the golf course theme and the weird little rollovers for each "hole." But I guess there was a reason they only made 80 of them. The "rules" never made any sense, and it was hard to tell if the game was actually working correctly because, well the scoring was WTF?
    Luckily I traded it to Michael S. from the Pacific Pinball Museum for a Heat Wave which is a dream machine for me! PPM is where a game like Fore belongs!

#335 3 years ago

I got a Beatles Platinum and quickly regretted it. The games flew by so fast I knew I was going to out 1k games on it pretty quickly, which kind of shoots holes in the whole 'collector' concept of owning the Platinum.

#336 3 years ago
    Quoted from Photopin:

I got a Beatles Platinum and quickly regretted it. The games flew by so fast I knew I was going to out 1k games on it pretty quickly, which kind of shoots holes in the whole 'collector' concept of owning the Platinum.

Is the collector concept to keep the game count low?

You can just switch out sd cards.

It's a better game using one of the other song sets anyway.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/beatles-sgt-pepper-s-lonely-hearts-club-retheme

#337 3 years ago

I'm getting a lot better at only keeping/buying games that I know I appreciate and enjoy playing. Many of the B and C tier games I have gotten rid of, and won't pick up again. Some are popular, some are not. I used to pick up games that were good deals, now I just pass on them as it isn't worth the effort.

Many of the Ballys/Gottlieb SSs are long gone. Have a few left, but only the ones I really like (Fathom, Frontier, etc).

#338 3 years ago

I would not buy a game that i didnt intend to play a lot

1 week later
    #339 3 years ago

MMr NIB, I was so stoked waiting for it. Love the theme, sidedoor, call-outs, even the draw-bridge, until it goes down...then all the SDTMs - SDTMs that is a dealbreaker for me...traded it with 6 months...

#340 3 years ago

Stern Indiana Jones was a disaster. Game is horrible and took a bath on selling it. Over time became a high priced game because it was so rare because it was so bad and the timing when was when Stern was starting to strip down thier games...So I kind of got screwed twice there.

The other turd was Jackbot...man I hated that game so much...hard to put a finger on why but the music sucked, the game just had no draw or character at all. I got bored after like 10 plays.

#341 3 years ago

Metallica and Batman66.

Both were expensive reminders of how out of touch pinball has become. But, a couple months having each saved me from buying anymore like them. One should have been enough though. My bad.

5 months later
    #342 2 years ago

WOZ. The prettiest but most boring machine in pinball. I wanted to get rid of it after a week but thought I just needed time to learn the game and it would grow on me.

Sold it after 10 months and have never missed it or wanted to play one again. A maintenance nightmare as well.

#343 2 years ago

A Bally bingo machine. That's how you know I hated it, I can't even remember what the &^#$ title was. Oh wait, it just came to me. Zodiac. I think. I googled it and I'm still not sure. The head alone was so heavy I couldn't lift it off the cabinet without help. The grease used all thru the EM mechanics smelled like garlic mixed with skunk. Found out bingos are just boring to play to me, more like owning a slot machine. A really really big heavy stinky slot machine.

#344 2 years ago

Water world, played it for a week and new it had to go ASAP

#345 2 years ago

Hot Wheels is the only pin I regret buying so far(should of went with Houdini) . Those RPM targets toss more air balls than Shaq at the free throw line…..plus the layout is pitifully basic.

#346 2 years ago

Rescue 911 - I never could get the helicopter to work properly even after rebuilding every part of it.

Alien Star - Boring layout, but apparently a shooter's game and loved by tournament players.

TSPP - Annoying callouts (and I like the show) and the shots aren't that fun--nearly every shot has to have a stoppage for some callout.

Class of 1812 - It's all multiball. Thankfully, a lot of people want this title so it was easy to unload.

#347 2 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Rescue 911 - I never could get the helicopter to work properly even after rebuilding every part of it.
    Alien Star - Boring layout, but apparently a shooter's game and loved by tournament players.
    TSPP - Annoying callouts (and I like the show) and the shots aren't that fun--nearly every shot has to have a stoppage for some callout.
    Class of 1812 - It's all multiball. Thankfully, a lot of people want this title so it was easy to unload.

I can understand the R911 hate if your helicopter was never 100%. It's the entire game, basically.

Don't have a whole lot to say about Alien Star.

I'm surprised that TSPP annoyed you for that reason. I guess I would suggest not buying Stern's POTC if you don't like that.

Class of 1812 is most assuredly *not* all multiball...but it *is* all left ramp, all the time. That, I'll spot. Still, I really have a soft spot for that machine, especially for its (what I consider to be) fantastic music and voices. More fun than it really deserves to be, I think.

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from boagman:

I'm surprised that TSPP annoyed you for that reason. I guess I would suggest not buying Stern's POTC if you don't like that.

I agree with Agent Hero, I couldn't tolerate Bart with those annoying callouts. I even tried TSPP a second time only to sell her again. I owned Stern's POTC before I had both TSPP's and POTC still rules the waves in my arcade.

#350 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

I agree with Agent Hero, I couldn't tolerate Bart with those annoying callouts. I even tried TSPP a second time only to sell her again. I owned Stern's POTC before I had both TSPP's and POTC still rules the waves in my arcade.

Well, I think both are terrific, so I'm not bagging on either (I own both as well). But if it's the stop-the-ball-to-hear-a-quote thing that bugged him/you so much, POTC is far, far more prolific in its "guilt" in this way. Half the shots in TSPP will stop the ball for one reason or another. 90% of the shots in POTC will do that.

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-regret-buying/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.