Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 418 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    E8209683-A29D-4A38-9CF5-E99518B8D97A (resized).jpeg
    20200601_212757 (resized).jpg
    Tomy Atomic Arcade (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    435v4r (resized).jpg
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    P4240317 (resized).JPG
    There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.
    #151 3 years ago

Man so many pins listed so far I agree with. Especially Hobbit, X-Men, Austin Powers, Judge Dredd, Munsters, No Good Gofers, and Rob Zombie. All should have been a lot better. I will add World Cup Soccer. I played it at an arcade and couldn't hear the call outs . I bought it and found out the call outs along with shooting the goal constantly got old in a day. Not to mention worst back glass ever.

#152 3 years ago

I’m surprised at the hate for JD and RZ. I really enjoyed both and would own them again.

Hobbit is the only game I think I’ve ever actively disliked. Wide open playfield, no satisfying shots and games that last longer than calls with my mom. Ugh.

#153 3 years ago

Cybernaut. 800 miles round trip to get it, gameplay and sound were both boring. Didn't last long.

A close second would be the Who Dunnit/El Toro combo purchase, but I knew I wouldn't lose money so I took the plunge. Was really hoping to like Who Dunnit but didn't. El Toro doesn't even warrant discussion.

#154 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

... Hobbit is the only game I think I’ve ever actively disliked. Wide open playfield, no satisfying shots ...

Ok, to each their own and I realize that this isn't a Hobbit thread, but I can't let these criticisms (often heard from Kaneda as well) go unaddressed. Hobbit is actually CHOCK FULL of satisfying shots for me - hitting the sweet spinners/orbits, gobble holes, ramps, and the variety of targets are all great fun. Even more so when time or availability (moving drop targets) to do so is limited in the course of the many well coded modes available!

Like WPT (another game I have owned and enjoyed), Hobbit is a game with a lot of long shots requiring accuracy and skillful timing. As such, completing them and then experiencing the fabulous associated audio/video/lighting effects is immensely satisfying for me!

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Cybernaut. 800 miles round trip to get it, gameplay and sound were both boring. Didn't last long.
    A close second would be the Who Dunnit/El Toro combo purchase, but I knew I wouldn't lose money so I took the plunge. Was really hoping to like Who Dunnit but didn't. El Toro doesn't even warrant discussion.

And yet the guy down the street from me is holding onto one like it's some incredible collectors piece. I just want it one for the artwork.

-Hans

#156 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Ok, to each their own and I realize that this isn't a Hobbit thread, but I can't let these criticisms (often heard from Kaneda as well) go unaddressed. Hobbit is actually CHOCK FULL of satisfying shots for me - hitting the sweet spinners/orbits, gobble holes, ramps, and the variety of targets are all great fun. Even more so when time or availability (moving drop targets) to do so is limited in the course of the many well coded modes available!
    Like WPT (another game I have owned and enjoyed), Hobbit is a game with a lot of long shots requiring accuracy and skillful timing. As such, completing them and then experiencing the fabulous associated audio/video/lighting effects is immensely satisfying for me!

I'm honestly glad you like Hobbit, that's awesome. In fairness, I've never owned it, so it's probably unfair for me to add my $0.02. Having said that, it didn't connect with me for the reasons listed. I've played it on location and in a home environment, and I *tried* to enjoy it.

As you said, to each their own. Glad you're enjoying your game!

#157 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

In fairness, I've never owned it, so it's probably unfair for me to add my $0.02.

It's more than fair! Owners are often biased. Players, much less so.

#158 3 years ago

Fair enough and honestly, I think all JJP games - more so than others - are much more enjoyable in a home environment than on route. When Hobbit first came out and I played it in my favorite pinball bar (and with the original code) my appreciation for it was much less than it is now.

#159 3 years ago

For me, Pinball Magic. Prior to ownership, I only played it a handful of times at shows. As a lover of magic, unique themes, and gadgets-a-plenty, And it being so rare, I thought the game would be a slam dunk for me.

I had it for a few months, and it was simply too linear. No choices, and no real strategy other than to follow the same predetermined path set by the game. Also, the DMD animations seemed cluttered, difficult to follow, and there were other little refinements it lacked.

I value the history and what it did for Pinball, and the incredible amount of work that was put into it to avoid litigation, but I’ll just value it at shows, not in my collection.

#160 3 years ago

For us it was RRWOZ.... we found it boring and confusing. I probably had less than 100 plays on it before we sold it.

Also, one of the first pins I bought was an IJ:TPA from a very well known distributor. They claimed that the game was better than new with new decals, a color DMD, and more. What I got was a game that had corrosion issues and some planking on the playfield (the game definitely had a period of being stored in a high humidity environment) .... all for about $10k. That game is now in line with HEP to get a proper restoration.

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Shoot the Ion Cannon!!

Laser War is a damn fine DE...although Torpedo Ally is #1 for me .

Really? Better than Tommy and Tales From The Crypt? If so i'll have to keep an eye out for one.

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

For me, Pinball Magic. Prior to ownership, I only played it a handful of times at shows. As a lover of magic, unique themes, and gadgets-a-plenty, And it being so rare, I thought the game would be a slam dunk for me.
    I had it for a few months, and it was simply too linear. No choices, and no real strategy other than to follow the same predetermined path set by the game. Also, the DMD animations seemed cluttered, difficult to follow, and there were other little refinements it lacked.
    I value the history and what it did for Pinball, and the incredible amount of work that was put into it to avoid litigation, but I’ll just value it at shows, not in my collection.

I'll give you the complaint on linearity of gameplay but the dots are some of the best I've ever seen in a game and especially with the ColorDMD, I try to get all the disappearing acts just to watch them!

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Was really hoping to like Who Dunnit but didn't.

Yep,that's the one I regret for me.It didn't last long and took a hit when I sold it.I had the option for a nice Cyclone at the time,Oh well.New to pinball in 2006 and too hasty about it.

#164 3 years ago

Haven't hated any i've owned. Had the Munsters here for a rental for a month and couldn't wait to see the back of it (code only, liked the shots and animations). I wouldn't care if i never played Jurrasic Park rental again either and won't be sorry when it goes back into the pub at the end of the month. While i like the shots the callouts and theme suck, that fat Nedry prick going ahahahhh every time i move the machine wants a punch in the throat.

The ones i either have let go or would let go are Genie (gone) and Flash (still here) on condition only. Pinball Magic (still here) on the repetitiveness and callouts over and over.
    Spiderman (gone) because i just didn't love it.

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Biased maybe, but there is an element of owners being informed too. I that it's often the case with Hobbit.

I had played it dozens of times on older versions of code and it just didn't stick. I could absolutely relate to the criticisms I read on Pinside.
    Only once I bought it, played it enough to learn the rules and progression did it become one of my favorite games. I like that it's quite different from my other games. The code is just fantastic as well.

#166 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

but the dots are some of the best I've ever seen in a game

I don’t disagree, but the animations are just so fast, and there’s so much going on, it just seems excessively “busy.” I had a colordmd on mine too. Almost felt like they were cramming stuff in just because they could, not because they should. But that’s just my opinion!

#167 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hands down. Vector.

Hit the showers!

#168 3 years ago

It's always funny when the 5 people in the world who like The Hobbit are in the same thread

#169 3 years ago

This is tough, as I find so many times, people bash a game without really understanding or having it set up really well.

I also have favourites from all eras.

That said, for me, I guess Jokerz was the most disappointing. It has a few things that could have gone well, but it is just generally annoying for me.

#170 3 years ago

I also rarely think of swapping my Hobbit out for something else. i buy games that are different from everything else. Different makers, different playfield setups and rules. Hobbit is the most immersive machine i've ever played and new players as well as dedicated gamers who want to learn the rules can both enjoy it.
    There are many paths you can choose to play the game, but if you are a points player who likes to find a system and play the same each time it may seem repetitive.

I really don't understand the empty playfield comments, it's like saying a Snooker table is too big and open and they should play snooker on a pool table. Different skills come into play, long range angles etc, but there's still the same number of pockets folks.

I don't play it much anymore, but for the reasons above it's staying.

(I own games like Spy hunter, Orbit1, Whirlwind and many others that are hated. I'm waiting on an Orbitor 1 plastic playfield Stern to be delivered atm)

#171 3 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

That said, for me, I guess Jokerz was the most disappointing. It has a few things that could have gone well, but it is just generally annoying for me.

Yeah, gameplay is rote & unbalanced like many system 11 pins. Really wears thin in no time at all. I bought a prototype Jokerz because it was cheap & close to home. Fixed it up and was done with it by the time Expo rolled around.

#172 3 years ago

As a newbie i bought a $400 project Big Guns. I thought, "how can you lose with a $400 System 11?"

I used it as my restoration learning machine (glad i didn't learn those lessons on my Taxi). Ultimately i can't say whether I like the game or not, but I don't feel great about the countless hours of repair and restoration that went into a game that just isn't that fun (for me).

#173 3 years ago

space jam...couldn't get rid of it fast enough

#174 3 years ago

Striker Xtreme.

Had to go to ER due to 906 lamp crumbing into my fingers and they spent 15 minutes digging glass out of two of my fingers.

Years later same machine feel off the truck. No injuries or damage to machine other than some missing paint.

I hope the current owner is live and well.

#175 3 years ago
    Quoted from Crile1:

Stranger Things Premium. Fun to play on location, sucks to own at home.

Why is that? Can you elaborate this a bit, please?

#176 3 years ago

Ice Fever, Bronco, Vector and Checkpoint!

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

Really? Better than Tommy and Tales From The Crypt?

Easily!

Quoted from grantopia:

Ok I gotta ask...all the shots besides the ramp just dead end into a saucer and spot targets are all just deadly and not really worth shooting for since you can just get them spotted with no risk of a bad bounce off a target...what do you like about this game, I was bored with it VERY fast...

I like the layout & the (horribly great) audio. Shit can get hectic in the PF hitting those target banks for me, but true that goddamn center saucer dribbles out and screws you plenty. I don't know...it's juts a fun little game. I mean it's a fucking DE, it's garbage, but good for them.

#178 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Yeah ... no. More often than not, a typical player's limited gameplay experience (and knowledge) on a game seems to lead to more bias than actually owning it.

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

...a typical player's limited gameplay experience (and knowledge) on a game seems to lead to more bias than actually owning it.

Agree to disagree.

It's a whole weird set of factors though on both sides. Problem is a game that gets a lot of flack like Hobbit or GB, kind of gets a real rimjob from owners to try to equal it out. The higher the dollar amount and trim levels, the deeper the tonguing it seems.
    Now of course, even though I'm a "scientist," my ass eating scale isn't exact.

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree.
    It's a whole weird set of factors though on both sides. Problem is a game that gets a lot of flack like Hobbit or GB, kind of gets a real rimjob from owners to try to equal it out. The higher the dollar amount and trim levels, the deeper the tonguing it seems.

I think it is more just different opinions, some like it some don't. It is more of that than people trying to tear it down and others trying to counter by raising it up. Though I certainly think some of the latter is happening, but to a lesser extent than just people liking different things.

Also I have never thought about it based on rimjob scientific calculations, but I guess anything that can be said is said on pinside...

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree to disagree.

Call it whatever you want. I am never selling The Hobbit so I could not care less the re-sale. My opinion of The Hobbit is that if you have never had an extended game that you most likely will never have on location, you won’t appreciate the game.

When I played it on location I was less than impressed. Got one in the home environment and have been hooked.

What you are hearing from owners who have spent considerable time with the game is that is is one of the best games out there.

It’s different yeah, tons depth, tons of multiball but Kill Smaug, complete wizard modes, get to There and Back Again and tell me how it compares to higher ranked games.

If your not into long adventure games then stay away but if you don’t own one with the latest code, you just won’t get it.

Really sorry most people won’t really get to see what JJack and Company achieved.

#182 3 years ago

I don’t get the crusade with certain games. Shit, I owned ACDC Pro for five years and got to hear about the ass terrible art and stripped down features on a daily basis. I just kind of shrugged and enjoyed my game.

I like to hear all kinds of opinions. That’s why I enjoy Pinside. If you like or dislike a game, that’s interesting, but at the end of the day, it’s my decision, gameroom and money.

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLRage:

My opinion of The Hobbit is that if you have never had an extended game that you most likely will never have on location, you won’t appreciate the game.
    When I played it on location I was less than impressed. Got one in the home environment and have been hooked.
    What you are hearing from owners who have spent considerable time with the game is that is is one of the best games out there.

I understand your your point completely, but I think it's a common trope that JJP is somehow diff'rent than other makers; ALL machines are better to play in your home whenever you want, naked, drunk whatever way you like etc.

I'm a little insulted you think people can't have an extended game on location also; don't quite get that one.

#184 3 years ago

For a pin to qualify as a regret, it would have to be one that I didn't like and I lost money on after I sold it. For me, that game is RFM.

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I understand your your point completely, but I think it's a common trope that JJP is somehow diff'rent than other makers; ALL machines are better to play in your home whenever you want, naked, drunk whatever way you like etc.
    I'm a little insulted you think people can't have an extended game on location also; don't quite get that one.

Who told you about me playing drunk and naked! Damn it Pinside!

#186 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLRage:

Yeah maybe some of y’all have had extended games on location but for me at least it took several months at home to really break her in and see how intense the games get.
    I get it though different strokes for different folks

#187 3 years ago

Indy 500, Munsters LE , junkyard

#188 3 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Pretty much any game I purchased NIB and/or jammed a bunch of mods onto and then sold for a crippling loss.

This for sure.

Also, Party Zone. Those ramps suck and are expensive to replace, if you can even find new ones.

#189 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLRage:

McConaughey style.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/celebrity/mcconaughey-nude-bongo-bust-anniversary-205129

#190 3 years ago

No regret buying any pin, old, new, or different manufacturers. I just like some pins more than others.

#191 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

No regret buying any pin, old, new, or different manufacturers. I just like some pins more than others.

Spot on. I'm happy to play any pinball. I've never found one I "hate."

I suppose regret is different altogether. I try to be smart with my purchases, having played them and getting a good value...so I don't really have many regrets.

#192 3 years ago

NBA fastbreak.

Saw one come up and had never played it, "what the hell" I thought, looks interesting. I was on the fence when I got it at the time as i'd already driven 1000KM for two other machines.

Sold it at a loss and yet was still glad it was gone. A good lesson for me.

#193 3 years ago

Black Knight 2000 for me. Loved playing it on location. Got bored of it by day 3 at home. Sold it 10 days after I bought it for a loss

#194 3 years ago

Funhouse. Hyped up by a lot of friends with nostalgia for it and when I finally got hold of one found the rule set kinda shallow with not much to do. Sold it in 3 months of buying it. I think to enjoy this game you had to be around when it was new.

Second would be 007 Goldeneye. Was bought because I needed money for a new car and had to trade down. I can't believe I traded my mint Twilight Zone for it but I needed the money at the time.

#195 3 years ago

Vector here and Popeye, sound effect still haunts me. Launch wheel one I think.

#196 3 years ago

Having owned about 100 games, dont actually regret buying any But I decided quickly to let Jack in the Box, Space Odyssey, Dragon SS, Vector and No Good Go(l)fers find a new owner.

#197 3 years ago

For me, I regretted buying Barb Wire, not sure why I didn't like it, it had a lot of shots, I just couldn't get into it.

#198 3 years ago

Shaq Attack and Thomas baseball (forgot the full title). Bought them cheap (as-is
    needing work) to put in a crummy location. Game play was horrible. Dumped them
    as soon as they came off of the route. Sold the Shaq to Shaquille O'Neil via
    the guy that ran his bar in Arizona. May still be on display there.
    Steve

#199 3 years ago

Medieval Madness Royal Edition

I canceled and got refunded. Too many issues I’ve seen in thread for that money.

#200 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Medieval Madness Royal Edition
    I canceled and got refunded. Too many issues I’ve seen in thread for that money.

That’s surprising. I thought CGC was pretty rock solid. Bummer.

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-regret-buying/page/4?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.