Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 418 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    E8209683-A29D-4A38-9CF5-E99518B8D97A (resized).jpeg
    20200601_212757 (resized).jpg
    Tomy Atomic Arcade (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    435v4r (resized).jpg
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    P4240317 (resized).JPG
    There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 3 years ago

For me, probably Austin Powers. Was early on in my collecting and I bought it on Ebay. Supposed to be 100% working. Took me about two months to get everything working. The wife hated it. I was bored of it in two weeks. Took me almost a year of trying to sell it and I ended up losing a couple hundred bucks on it.

#102 3 years ago

I got 2 that I cant decide on. First was GOTG pro. I got it right away and the code was bad. I put it on location and the customers were asking for Transformers that I replaced with it back.
    Second was Wonka. Again, got it early and the pooling and chipping started.
    I guess in both cases it wasn't because the games were horrible, just bad experience. Nothing is worse then getting a new game and it takes over a year before the code makes it worth playing.

#103 3 years ago

Indiana Jones, Stern. I bought it NIB and what a horrible decision I made. I can't even describe how bad a game it is....... it's so bad on so many levels. Holy...... freakin........god....... it's bad. Just ask Pinlawyer, he'll back me up on how bad it is.

QSS

PS I just wanna scratch my eyes out just thinking how bad this games is. F#ck me........ it's bad!!!!

QSS

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I drink a lot of beer and these games are next to each other in my basement. . .

Mine are a good 12' away so I fall down sometimes on the journey.

#105 3 years ago

EM games where the drops don't reset during the ball. Like Out Of Sight, Target Alpha, etc. You have to make them brutally difficult and steep because if you knock all the targets down you've got little else to shoot for.
    A game that did it well is Royal Flush / Card Whiz, where all the drops down reveals a target behind them that gives big points AND is risky.

#106 3 years ago

Judge Dredd. That one tried to kill me.

LTG : )

#107 3 years ago

None of them

#108 3 years ago

Another vote for Hurricane.... Never buy buy a game for nostalgia's sake.

A close 2nd is Road Kings. I love System 11s...but not Road Kings.

#109 3 years ago

Super Straight as the cabinet just falls apart even looking at it

#110 3 years ago

Waterworld hands down. How bad do I think it was? I had 2 JDs and loved them compared to that pos. I have had friends talk me out of buying the Hobbit for all the reasons listed here yet I'd still buy one before I'd ever let Kevin Costner's waterlogged pos back through my door. My apologies to whoever I sold it to.

#111 3 years ago

NF = No Fear or No Fun

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

You think I don’t know how to setup a classic stern?!? Haha. It’s just overrated it all. Fun game that I enjoy competing on, but would have no staying power at home. Stars is worlds better imo.

Yeah, it's good but too many better classic Sterns out there. We had a super nice one but it just didn't compare to Nine Ball and Big Game.

#113 3 years ago

Thoro Bred EM. I bought it as a way to get my horse riding wife and daughter interested in pinball. I ended up donating it to a local college’s riding program.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

EM games where the drops don't reset during the ball. Like Out Of Sight, Target Alpha, etc. You have to make them brutally difficult and steep because if you knock all the targets down you've got little else to shoot for.

On Solar City I just start practicing shatzing the inlanes for the 1000 pts. That or trying to lob the 3pt shot into the 5K lane at the top.

Someone needs to design a target-reset circuit for these models. Series switch with the spot target in front of the pop: hit it to reset the targets when all are down.

#115 3 years ago

Kicker by Chicago Coin was my worst dud. Shoot the ball, wait for it to get through the pops and then past that center contraption that consumes a ton of real estate, then play the bottom 1/3 of the PF because there's really no way to shoot past that center contraption. Sold it at Pintastic a few years ago in a silent auction format. I did have it fully working and I hope it turned out well for the guy who picked it up.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

PS I just wanna scratch my eyes out just thinking how bad this games is. F#ck me........ it's bad!!!!
    QSS

Don’t sugar coat it..... tell us how you really feel.

#117 3 years ago

If you don't like Judge Dredd, well you can just....have that opinion. It's fine. But you're wrong.

I don't have any pins I regret buying, but I regret selling any and not just building an addition to my house.

#118 3 years ago

AFM LE. Great game but I bought it NIB, which for me was a mistake. By the time the seller added on PA sales tax and shipping, I was $8800 out of pocket. Again, its a great game but every time I see it standing there, I think holey crap! $8800 tied up! I'm buried in the game and will probably never get out from under it except at a significant loss. Maybe eventually I will work a trade for another game and cash or maybe two other games for one. But meanwhile, I'll personally never buy NIB again! If you're a keep it forever kind of person, it makes more sense. But for me, eventually everything goes!

#119 3 years ago

Slugfest. Enough said.

#120 3 years ago

Pirates of the Caribbean. Zizzle. Bought it for $75, sold it for $65. Ok, it was a bit of fun. At least $5 worth, but $10 might be stretching it

#121 3 years ago

Doodle bug. It horrible!

#122 3 years ago

Houdini. What a poorly designed turd, I did not enjoy it. So fortunate I was able to trade it for a medieval madness.

#123 3 years ago

Batman Forever. Worked great for about 2 weeks, then the problems started. Board issues, switch issues, etc. Every time I’d fix something, it’d work for a few days and then something else would break or stop working. Had 4 other pins, so it would sit until I felt like working on the next problem. I lost count how many times I fixed it. Happy when I sold it.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

The Hobbit. ... After getting it fixed, it really is slow and monotonous in the home environment. Multiball after multiball with random modes thrown in. Not much fun. Great sound and theme integration though... beautiful machine, great theme... just not fun for me after a few weeks.

Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I wanted The Hobbit to be a good game so bad. I love the theme, but reviews like this have put me off from buying one.

Quoted from metallik:

Hobbit was a pin we almost regretted buying.. was in on preorder but didn't like the direction the game was going and bailed just before orders locked in. Very glad we did; I find it the weakest JJP title by far. Just a terrible playfield... no code could save that game

Quoted from RTS:

Another vote for Hobbit.
    It looked great at first and it took a couple of weeks before i was convinced it was a mistake. It was a piece of multi ball crap due to the layout and monotonous multiballs.
    I tried to mercy play it but that eventually became impossible.
    Like many others who have owned games that didn't click, the game became a symbol. Just looking at it made me feel shitty that I bought it.
    I sold it quickly enough and learned a lesson.

All interesting, as I love my Hobbit! While different from that of most games, I find its gameplay to be both fun and immersive. The current code, including being able to set it so that Smaug and Beast multiballs don't play simultaneously, is a big improvement over earlier editions. Absolutely beautiful playfield and lighting too!

No regrets at all. Just sayin'.

#125 3 years ago

I vote also for Stern Indiana Jones circa 2008. Great theme, right? 8-ball multiball stored in the Ark? Beautiful machine all around. No way this can lose. Then I played it . . . .

#126 3 years ago

That ball-barfing ark is a spectacle that everyone must behold at some point...

...just on location or in someone else's collection!

Aerosmith toybox is a good facsimile and in a much better game.

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

All interesting, as I love my Hobbit! While different from that of most games, I find its gameplay to be both fun and immersive. The current code, including being able to set it so that Smaug and Beast multiballs don't play simultaneously, is a big improvement over earlier editions. Absolutely beautiful playfield and lighting too!

I feel the same way, but there will always be lovers and haters of this pin. I don't blame them for not liking it, it just isn't what they like and that's cool. If you buy a pin and hate it then it would be a regret. I've seen some mention Monster Bash, which I would love to own. Different strokes...

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

I feel the same way, but there will always be lovers and haters of this pin. I don't blame them for not liking it, it just isn't what they like and that's cool. If you buy a pin and hate it then it would be a regret. I've seen some mention Monster Bash, which I would love to own. Different strokes...

Absolutely - to each their own! Just wanted to put in a good word in The Hobbit's defense.

#129 3 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I'm currently at the point where I'd only really regret buying a machine if I could not make my money back. If I always know I can make my money back on it or more, then even if I dislike the machine I can tolerate it.

More frustrating is when you loose 1/4 of the value of a Nib as soon as unboxed. I got the feeling to buy a car! If so has an explanation, would happy to hear it!

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballTilt:

Houdini. What a poorly designed turd, I did not enjoy it. So fortunate I was able to trade it for a medieval madness.

The milk zone is badly designed coz impossible to get this shot loop. All others shots are doable but many of them are tight.
    But I really dislike the LCD, poor animations..a DMD would have been enough!

#131 3 years ago

gottlieb hulk, what a skidder

#132 3 years ago

You win

#133 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I’m with ya! Kinda crazy to hear negative feedback from The Hobbit. All I can think is old code as I have only played the newest code. This game is bolted to the floor for me. Love flow and quick games on other machines but nothing beats a 2 hour Hobbit Adventure every once in a while.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

AFM LE. Great game but I bought it NIB, which for me was a mistake. By the time the seller added on PA sales tax and shipping, I was $8800 out of pocket. Again, its a great game but every time I see it standing there, I think holey crap! $8800 tied up! I'm buried in the game and will probably never get out from under it except at a significant loss. Maybe eventually I will work a trade for another game and cash or maybe two other games for one. But meanwhile, I'll personally never buy NIB again! If you're a keep it forever kind of person, it makes more sense. But for me, eventually everything goes!

...If you want to recover some of that cost I would be super keen to buy the topper

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLRage:

...nothing beats a 2 hour Hobbit Adventure every once in a while.

2 hours!? If you can really play one game for that long then it shouldn’t be called a “pinball machine” IMO.

#136 3 years ago

ACNC
    No Fear
    Gottlieb James Bond.

#137 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Jurassic Park Pro, I should’ve got a premium....

Why do you think you should have bought the premium? Is there that much of a difference? From what I read the major difference is the moving trex

#138 3 years ago

Black Rose. It's a great game, but it was my third machine, I didn't have much repair experience, and it was a basket case. I got a good deal on it, but I ended up breaking even on it by the time I'd fixed everything. By that point, just looking at the damn thing gave me anxiety. I never want to adjust another Boack Rose cannon...

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Thoro Bred EM. I bought it as a way to get my horse riding wife and daughter interested in pinball. I ended up donating it to a local college’s riding program.

Wow, really? It has an interesting ruleset, it's visually appealing, and is one of only a few games with six pop bumpers. Plus, those metal jewel posts.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Indiana Jones, Stern. I bought it NIB and what a horrible decision I made. I can't even describe how bad a game it is....... it's so bad on so many levels. Holy...... freakin........god....... it's bad. Just ask Pinlawyer, he'll back me up on how bad it is.
    QSS
    QSS

Sounds like you’re on the fence there...

#141 3 years ago

I only regret not buying my pins 10 years ago, man I had saved sooo much money compared to now.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLRage:

I’m with ya! Kinda crazy to hear negative feedback from The Hobbit. All I can think is old code as I have only played the newest code. This game is bolted to the floor for me. Love flow and quick games on other machines but nothing beats a 2 hour Hobbit Adventure every once in a while.

To be fair, yes it was old code. But that open layout held much blame, I couldn't see code helping.

I've played it with new code and it still didn't win me over. But my early disdain was deeply rooted.

I've owned many JJP games, and their crowning jewel is POTC. Deep as hell, challenging yet attainable goals, masterful playfield, and simple enough to figure out. The rules just tie it all together so well.

#143 3 years ago

Don't regret any of them.

Got sick of most of the pins I sold though: POTC, BTTF, ID4, Cyclone, F14-tomcat, The Munsters.
    The only pin I regretted selling is Earthshaker. Need to have one in my collection eventually.

#144 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jasenwm:

Why do you think you should have bought the premium? Is there that much of a difference? From what I read the major difference is the moving trex

Moving t-rex and raptor pen gate for locking multiball. The raptor pen makes the play a little different so you could argue either way. The way the ball bounces off the gate makes it a little harder in premium/le than the pro.

#145 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Someone needs to design a target-reset circuit for these models. Series switch with the spot target in front of the pop: hit it to reset the targets when all are down

A recent thread about this exact thing. Resetting the targets is one thing, but retaining your bonus adds another level of complexity. Lots of good links in that thread.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

For me, probably Austin Powers. Was early on in my collecting and I bought it on Ebay. Supposed to be 100% working. Took me about two months to get everything working. The wife hated it. I was bored of it in two weeks. Took me almost a year of trying to sell it and I ended up losing a couple hundred bucks on it.

This was one I almost bought because I love the movies but luckily I got to play it first and dodged that bullet. It doesn't help it's from that really clunky-feeling Stern era but the game just fails to be enjoyable like it should be. However it did make me vow to never buy a game I've never played and that rule has saved me multiple other times since.

#147 3 years ago
    Quoted from bigbadmiker:

Batman Forever. Worked great for about 2 weeks, then the problems started. Board issues, switch issues, etc. Every time I’d fix something, it’d work for a few days and then something else would break or stop working. Had 4 other pins, so it would sit until I felt like working on the next problem. I lost count how many times I fixed it. Happy when I sold it.

I had the same exact situation with a Congo. Problems started within a few days. Same thing. Boards, battery corrosion, switches, shorts, stuck coils, you name it. Game would play perfect for about 2 days after fixing one issue and then a completely different issue would pop up. It sat for months basically unplayable and I was ready to be done with it. Eventually, I did get it working 100% and never had any more issues. Once it was working, it was fun again. I don't really regret buying it but did learn to be more discerning when buying pins, especially online.

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Hobbit was a pin we almost regretted buying.. was in on preorder but didn't like the direction the game was going and bailed just before orders locked in. Very glad we did; I find it the weakest JJP title by far. Just a terrible playfield... no code could save that game

This is the common review that kept me away from Hobbit. I had played a bunch of games without knowing the rules and found it a bit boring. Took a risk with an epidemic rental, learned the rules, and it's my favorite game right now. The game rules make you feel like you're on a quest and I love that. The playfield is unique and actually feels right for the game rules and design. I love it.

Biggest regret was the $1200 I lost on a Wonka LE that the seller jamesbon1 lied about being HUO.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

Biggest regret was the $1200 I lost on a Wonka LE that the seller jamesbon1 lied about being HUO.

Just read your story, that sucks man. Don't know how fired up you're feeling about it still, but did you consider taking him to small claims court?

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Just read your story, that sucks man. Don't know how fired up you're feeling about it still, but did you consider taking him to small claims court?

If it's amy consolation his local rep was definitely damaged. There are multiple dudes who won't deal with him.

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-regret-buying/page/3?hl=jesperpark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.