Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 418 posts
  • 232 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by boagman
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0251 (resized).JPG
    E8209683-A29D-4A38-9CF5-E99518B8D97A (resized).jpeg
    20200601_212757 (resized).jpg
    Tomy Atomic Arcade (resized).png
    images (resized).jpeg
    435v4r (resized).jpg
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    P4240317 (resized).JPG

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #51 3 years ago

I have really enjoyed every game I’ve had except BM66. Just couldn’t click with it.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I actually think Laser War was one of the better DE games of that time period along with Robocop and Time Machine. It's way better than BTTF!

Quoted from TheLaw:

Shoot the Ion Cannon!!

Laser War is a damn fine DE...although Torpedo Ally is #1 for me .

Ok I gotta ask...all the shots besides the ramp just dead end into a saucer and spot targets are all just deadly and not really worth shooting for since you can just get them spotted with no risk of a bad bounce off a target...what do you like about this game, I was bored with it VERY fast...

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Stellar Wars and Meteor, I just don't get it.
    John
    [quoted image]

You and me both on Meteor.

#54 3 years ago

you laughing at how bad that pin is? Yeah, it does suck. good call.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from cscmtp:

My game worked perfectly new in box and it still is a snooze fest. That and Avengers LE are the 2 biggest disappointments I've purchased in this hobby (out of dozens of machines I've owned)

I wanted The Hobbit to be a good game so bad. I love the theme, but reviews like this have put me off from buying one.

#56 3 years ago

It was years ago but Gold Strike was my greatest disappointment. A the time I thought it was going to be my grail. I liked the theme and the layout looked really creative. It was going to be drop target nirvana! And it was for about a week, until I realized games could linger on forever.

I remember getting bored one day and turning it off as I just wanted a game to end but I kept earning more balls. It has a such a good reputation I really questioned if selling it was a mistake. Then I'd play it some more and be like nope still not getting it. Sometimes now I'd like to play it again just to see if I could see it's supposed charm. And I bet it would be fun again for a couple games...

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John
    [quoted image]

It plays better with legs.

#58 3 years ago
    Quoted from bitternerd:

It plays better with legs.

Dang it, I knew I was missing something.....LOL.

John

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I wanted The Hobbit to be a good game so bad. I love the theme, but reviews like this have put me off from buying one.

I realize everyone has opinions (one guy said he couldn't get into MB66, its one of my favorites) but when you see a pin lose value the way that has, you know something is up. Its just boring...very few satisfying shots...unless you like MM trolls and multiball over and over. No doubt game is gorgeous, so if you buy pins for furniture you're set...but if you like playing them....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

#60 3 years ago

Freddy:Nightmare on Elm Street for me. Was my first pin and I cut my teeth on it so to speak learning the ropes on maintaining and repairing pins. That pinball machine is boring as hell and I loved the theme but it's just not a good pin to own unless you have a larger collection.

#61 3 years ago

It's good this topic was made because as a newbie to owning these machines, the last thing I want is to buy a machine I regret later!

#62 3 years ago

Millionaire and Hurricane hated both.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

It was years ago but Gold Strike was my greatest disappointment. A the time I thought it was going to be my grail. I liked the theme and the layout looked really creative. It was going to be drop target nirvana! And it was for about a week, until I realized games could linger on forever.
    I remember getting bored one day and turning it off as I just wanted a game to end but I kept earning more balls. It has a such a good reputation I really questioned if selling it was a mistake. Then I'd play it some more and be like nope still not getting it. Sometimes now I'd like to play it again just to see if I could see it's supposed charm. And I bet it would be fun again for a couple games...

That's a common complaint with "Gold Strike". It's a great game, but once you reach "critical mass" on it, the game can go on too long. When I was a kid playing it in the arcade, it was, of course, the ultimate. I still really like it, and there are some fairly easy ways to "tame" it, so that winning balls isn't quite as easy.

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

It's good this topic was made because as a newbie to owning these machines, the last thing I want is to buy a machine I regret later!

Everyone’s different though. A game you love could be hated by everyone else. Always best to play something before you buy unless it’s just a crazy good deal.

I bought vector because the deal was so good I knew I’d be able to get my money back if I wanted to sell it soon. I didn’t have any good time on one, i knew i was taking a risk. Turns out I hated it and got all my money back on sale luckily.

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Everyone’s different though. A game you love could be hated by everyone else. Always best to play something before you buy unless it’s just a crazy good deal.
    I bought vector because the deal was so good I knew I’d be able to get my money back if I wanted to sell it soon. I didn’t have any good time on one, i knew i was taking a risk. Turns out I hated it and got all my money back on sale luckily.

agreed. The game that got me back into pinball was The Avengers. Hated by many on this site.

#66 3 years ago

I'm currently at the point where I'd only really regret buying a machine if I could not make my money back. If I always know I can make my money back on it or more, then even if I dislike the machine I can tolerate it.

#67 3 years ago

Regret might not be the right word, but the pin I've owned I'm least likely to reacquire would be X-Men LE. Bought without playing, last time I did that, and everyone knows the story of this title. The voices were so bad, the rules seemed half baked. There were some really cool ideas in this game, most of the villain modes and the two mini-wizard modes, for example. And it was a bonkers packed play field, certainly for a modern Stern. But it's a game for me that ultimately was less than the sum of its parts.

#68 3 years ago

Judge Dredd - call outs/humor were good but the shots fell short for me. No satisfaction, aside from the sniper tower.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

I'm currently at the point where I'd only really regret buying a machine if I could not make my money back. If I always know I can make my money back on it or more, then even if I dislike the machine I can tolerate it.

My regret came because I spent good time shopping it out and got little to now enjoyment after I was finished. That and the quickest I had sold a game before vector was like almost two years. Haha. Selling vector inside of 6 months was insane to me.

#70 3 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Judge Dredd - call outs/humor were good but the shots fell short for me. No satisfaction, aside from the sniper tower.

I’ve seen a lot of people say Dredd. It seems like this is one of the most polarizing love it/hate it WPC games out there.

#71 3 years ago

Twister .... I Can't say I regret buy_N it , but I'm Glad I did ,, cause I will Never Own it again ... P.O.S ,, HaTed iT ,, Paid $ 750 for it back N the day at the Pin auction

TWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpgTWISTER ,,,,,, (resized).jpg
    #72 3 years ago

Regarding not playing before buying with Xmen le this was just after acdc and Tron LEs had been such big hits. I was not active on pinside for those pins but just got into pinside as XM was being hyped.

Also recall no premium ever for XM so it was Pro or LE. That’s the only other pin was Tron with no premium. I was worried that XM might go like Tron LE and i could miss out on a big hit. I was unaware about coding issues at the time.

Tron was not in production anymore and I took a chance on XM. Lucky tho after getting my fingers slapped with XM I didn’t bite on Avengers.

#73 3 years ago

Pinball Magic for me. I was really jonesing for a new game, had money burning a hole in my pocket... Drove down south to do the trade with a great pinsider who sold me a very well maintained game. Had a good time shopping it, but just... the game is kind of boring and the audio drove me CRAZY!

Another one was Iron Maiden. I just could NOT get into that game! I still to this day have not really figured out why.

#74 3 years ago

All of them.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hands down. Vector.

Cosigned! I grabbed one cheap because a friend was selling it. Every time I hit the Y target the game would yell "WHY?!?" and I was like, indeed. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Great backglass, though.

#76 3 years ago

Houdini because Kaneda hates it...

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

My god that first run of SB-100 sound boards is awful to hear.

Yea we have a Stern Dracula with that board... game is fun to shoot but the beeps and boops are awful. At some point the board started making random sounds so I just unplugged the speaker. Would love to find a chime kit for these SB-100 games.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Not rare enough for you?

(For those who don't know, John's collection is jaw-dropping.)

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Hobbit was a pin we almost regretted buying.. was in on preorder but didn't like the direction the game was going and bailed just before orders locked in. Very glad we did; I find it the weakest JJP title by far. Just a terrible playfield... no code could save that game

#80 3 years ago

SWE1. But I definitely don't regret selling it. Got a RFM and traded that for a Shadow and T2.

#81 3 years ago

"you shore need that ramp shot!"

Ugh. I don't so much regret bringing home Cue Ball Wizard as it was part of a 2-fer deal that became a fun project... but man I did not expect to be so disappointed in a game, nor did I miss it at all. The "skill-less" shot and that entire 8ball mech is such a waste of space.

And it's not that it's a hard shot - quite the opposite in fact! - but I'm fairly certain if I die in my sleep the last words I'll hear are "you shore need that ramp shot!"

#82 3 years ago

Flame suit on...

Medieval Madness original. Have owned 3 now, 1 the best Ive ever seen or played, purely because it rates so high and is a fun shooter and my mates rave about it, but literally cannot stand the theme at all.

#83 3 years ago

Controversial but I’ll say JP. The theme just isn’t all that fun. I like the shots but the original has better call outs and theme. Way worse shots.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John
    [quoted image]

Quoted from chuckwurt:

You and me both on Meteor.

Meteor has to be set up right - it’s literally all or nothing. Once you do that it’s a great game.

#85 3 years ago

My first NIB game .Wizard of no flow.

#86 3 years ago

Hurricane.
    Bought it at the game auction for 1000.00 back about 15 years ago. Mainly because I didn’t want to leave empty handed and it was the cheapest one there.

Got it home and played it and was bored after an hour. Couldn’t wait to trade it.

Plus the call outs were SUPER annoying.
    “Thrills chills magic prizes!!!” Over and over and over and over. Omg shut up.

If I remember right I traded it for a pretty sweet High Speed.

#87 3 years ago

Avengers.

Clunk.
    Fest.

#88 3 years ago
    were-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpgwere-the-millers---movie-tattoos (resized).jpg
    #89 3 years ago

Another vote for Hobbit.

It looked great at first and it took a couple of weeks before i was convinced it was a mistake. It was a piece of multi ball crap due to the layout and monotonous multiballs.

I tried to mercy play it but that eventually became impossible.

Like many others who have owned games that didn't click, the game became a symbol. Just looking at it made me feel shitty that I bought it.

I sold it quickly enough and learned a lesson.

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

Agree on Torpedo Alley. Probably the best of the bunch!

Shhhh! I've been hunting for one. Let's not pump it too much.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar666:

Jurassic Park Pro, I should’ve got a premium....

I love my pro. Also now want a premium. This game is fire!

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Meteor has to be set up right - it’s literally all or nothing. Once you do that it’s a great game.

You think I don’t know how to setup a classic stern?!? Haha. It’s just overrated it all. Fun game that I enjoy competing on, but would have no staying power at home. Stars is worlds better imo.

#93 3 years ago

Regretted buying:

Batman Dark Knight
    Dialed In LE

Dark Knight is incredibly boring. And super easy. I was just suckered in by it's theme/condition.

Dialed In: I was SO ready to fill the final spot in my lineup. It lasted 10 days. Lacks emotion/excitement. Completely bummed me out. Selfie mode. Ugh.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

...fun game that I enjoy competing on, but would have no staying power at home....

Meteor and Stars are great late night/super drunk games.

#95 3 years ago

Rob Zombie (stay away unless you love RZ)
    Hobbit (bash beasts, multiball, repeat)
    Ghostbusters Premium (infuriating cheap drains)
    Medieval Madness Remake (clunky and didn't play like the original)
    BM66 (great...except the minor point that it's an absolute clunk fest)

#96 3 years ago

None.I only regret not having enough room to keep them all.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Rob Zombie (stay away unless you love RZ)
    Hobbit (bash beasts, multiball, repeat)
    Ghostbusters Premium (infuriating cheap drains)
    Medieval Madness Remake (clunky and didn't play like the original)

Preach!

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Meteor and Stars are great late night/super drunk games.

I drink a lot of beer and these games are next to each other in my basement. . .

#99 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Judge Dredd. Ugh, just thinking about that game makes me dry heave. I went to look at a Rollergames, but the playfield was too blown out and I didn't want to invest the time. However, he also had a Judge Dredd, and I ended up flinging it in my truck. What a mistake. I got it home and cured a few issues so it was fully playable, and I was going to give it a full shop job... but I decided to play it for a while first. I was a bit surprised how much I didn't like it. But I put that down to the fact that I was looking at it, and it was going to be a pretty involved shop job. But then as I played it more, I realized it wasn't the fact that it needed a full shop job, I hated the shots. I hated not being able to see the ball well, I hated the rules, I hated the inlanes, I hated everything about the game.
    Two weeks later, I hated pinball. I hated having them in my house. I wanted to quit the hobby by just owning this turd. That night, the ad went up. I put it up for the same price I paid, and sounded desperate to get rid of the load. Someone offered me $400 bucks less than I paid for it, and it was gone the next afternoon. It is the only pinball machine I've owned that I hated like that. Within an hour of it being gone I was happily playing pinball in my house again, and all was good with the world. I've played a few different copies of Dredd since then... and hated it each time. I can't look at that playfield without thinking a sledgehammer and a deep hole is the only fix for it.
    I only partially regret buying it. I did learn that it is a lot better to come back with an empty truck than a pinball machine you are not 100% on board with buying. And I also learned JD was the worst pinball machine ever made and every copy should be tossed in the bin.

Lol. I’d say that too if my experience was the first one I ever played. Then I ran into one someone shopped and added stadium lights to. Wow talk about night vs day. JD is amazing when you can see the shots.

#100 3 years ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

[quoted image]

Scotty P, be rockin that monkey maze down at C&J amusements, "Na'm sayin"?

There are 418 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pin-do-you-regret-buying/page/2?hl=smognote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.