(Topic ID: 255809)

What Part Would You Make With a CNC Machine?

By PinPilot

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2 inch Williams flipper (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

Dear Pinsiders:

My neighbor operates three large computerized CNC machines, mainly producing small-batch aviation and military contract custom aluminum parts. He just finished a batch of drone prop hubs for a military contractor.

I introduced him to pinball, and he offered to produce any rare or hard-to-find parts that would help the pinball community.

So my question is: What parts do we need produced? Keep in mind he only works with aluminum. That being said, he can produce very complex parts with extremely high tolerances.

Please share any ideas or concepts you may have. I hope we can make good use of his experience and equipment.

Thanks for your thoughts!

#2 4 years ago

What a considerate offer, he does understand his return on investment for pinball parts would be orders of magnitude smaller than for aviation?

#3 4 years ago

Anodized aluminum habitrails would be bad-ass.

#4 4 years ago

His machines sit unused 90% of the time. This would be a labor of love for the most part. I just thought it would be great if there were some un-obtanium type parts, or custom mod parts that he could make for the community. I've already had a PM for a custom mod part for Batman 66. We'll see how it goes!

#5 4 years ago

Does he work off of an existing part or does he need CAD files?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Anodized aluminum habitrails would be bad-ass.

I'll ask him, but realize he starts with a block of aluminum. There would be a great amount of wasted metal in creating habitrails, I would think.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Does he work off of an existing part or does he need CAD files?

CAD files are best. When he gets sent requests from contractors, they always send a CAD file. I understand that not everyone can do this, so the other way would be to send a part in to be copied. Understand I know very little about the process, other than having watched him work.

#8 4 years ago

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THE BRACKETS FOR MY ORBITOR 1 SPINNING BUMPERS!!!
    These things are freaking impossible to find. I’m pretty sure they can be CNC’d

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

PLEASE HELP ME MAKE THE BRACKETS FOR MY ORBITOR 1 SPINNING BUMPERS!!!
    These things are freaking impossible to find. I’m pretty sure they can be CNC’d

Drawing?

#10 4 years ago

Game Plan drop targets.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Game Plan drop targets.

Would aluminum drop targets operate properly? I would imagine they'd be a bit heavier. I have a Game Plan Coney Island in the resto que. If only my buddy could make an MPU-2!

#12 4 years ago

Metal 2” flippers? Metal flipper buttons and start button for Williams EMs? Paging Odin for ideas.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metal-flipper-bats

#13 4 years ago

The coin reject button for classic Bally solid state games.

#14 4 years ago

Does it have to be metal? I'd like to see wood stencils for repainting cabs. It seems like a lot of the fuss and bother of repainting cabs centers around stencil peel, and the lack of the proper overspray (which no one seems to want to replicate, because you really can't with a stick on stencil).

The factory used stencils made out of brass AFAIK and just held it up to the cab and sprayed away. I made a prototype a long time ago for the front of a countdown cab out of 1/4" plywood and just sprayed right through it, worked great, correct amount of overspray. Only problem is that I used semi-gloss so it didn't match the sides of the cab. (I'd prefer to use flat/matte paints when doing a cab anyway, and if you wanted the gloss, apply a clearcoat afterwards. I like original look, though.)

#15 4 years ago

Great ideas, one and all! If you're serious, get me drawings or an example to be 3-D scanned. I'm liking these ideas! The BM66 mod is gonna be sweet once I get the drawings, which my understanding is they are on the way!

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Does it have to be metal? I'd like to see wood stencils for repainting cabs. It seems like a lot of the fuss and bother of repainting cabs centers around stencil peel, and the lack of the proper overspray (which no one seems to want to replicate, because you really can't with a stick on stencil).
    The factory used stencils made out of brass AFAIK and just held it up to the cab and sprayed away. I made a prototype a long time ago for the front of a countdown cab out of 1/4" plywood and just sprayed right through it, worked great, correct amount of overspray. Only problem is that I used semi-gloss so it didn't match the sides of the cab. (I'd prefer to use flat/matte paints when doing a cab anyway, and if you wanted the gloss, apply a clearcoat afterwards. I like original look, though.)

While I love the concept, a CNC machine wouldn't be the right tech to produce something as large as a stencil. A laser-cutter with sheets of metal would be another thing altogether...

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Metal 2” flippers? Metal flipper buttons and start button for Williams EMs? Paging odin for ideas.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metal-flipper-bats

Yes, THIS. It seems perfect for a CNC application. And the word "FLIPPER" wouldn't get PPS lawyers in a tizzy. Understand I will reproduce parts, but I won't be able to add anything that would infringe on a trademark.

2 inch Williams flipper (resized).jpg2 inch Williams flipper (resized).jpg
    #18 4 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

The coin reject button for classic Bally solid state games.

I had no idea there would be a need for this, but it would very simple to reproduce.

#19 4 years ago

The aluminum dummy coin entry plate for the center chute on Williams silver coin doors.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I cut stencils with a laser cutter in 1/8” MDF, produces great results. I can cut it for free at my local library makerspace.

#21 4 years ago

There is a cad file for cutting four or five sets of mirror blades from a single 4x8 sheet...try that?
    Would make for some affordable mirror blades...

1 week later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-part-would-you-make-with-a-cnc-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.