(Topic ID: 259826)

What other vintage game would you like to see STERN redo?

By Pinstein

38 days ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 days ago by yellowghost
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
    image-2 (resized).jpg

#1 38 days ago

I think Stern has done a great job with their new takes on Black Knight, Jurrasic Park, and reworked Seawitch (Beatles). Which vintage title would you like to see modernized? For me I would love to see an updated Flash Gordon! Same general PF artwork as the classic bally but a reworked shot map to include a couple of ramps. Such a great soundtrack to that movie and to see it's clips on an LCD display would make an instant buy from me.

#2 38 days ago

Nugent redone as old nugent

#3 38 days ago

I thought the rumors are Quicksilver will be Led Zepplin.
    Also I don’t think Bally can be redone by Stern. Pretty sure either Chicago Coin or Planetary Pinball have the Bally rights since Bally was bought by Williams in the 90’s

#4 38 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I think Stern has done a great job with their new takes on Black Knight, Jurrasic Park, and reworked Seawitch (Beatles). Which vintage title would you like to see modernized? For me I would love to see and updated Flash Gordon! Same general PF artwork as the classic bally but a reworked shot map to include a couple of ramps. Such a great soundtrack to that movie and to see it's clips on an LCD display would make an instant buy from me.

Why Stern?

#5 38 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Also I don’t think Bally can be redone by Stern. Pretty sure either Chicago Coin or Planetary Pinball have the Bally rights since Bally was bought by Williams in the 90’s

Quicksilver as Led Zeppelin I believe was a squashed rumor. Someone said Stern had thought about it and instead decided to do an original layout for Zeppelin. Hopefully it is an original layout with Lyman as coder or Elwin designed.

#6 38 days ago

I don't know any of the legal aspects but Black Knight was a Williams title. I'm sure they could purchase the rights if they were so motivated.

#7 38 days ago

The op was pretty clear..."I think Stern has done a great job with their new takes on Black Knight, Jurassic Park, and reworked Seawitch (Beatles)."

#8 38 days ago

Just because I hadn't seen anyone else do it yet. The CGC games are really just flat out reproductions. IMO

#9 38 days ago

I want a ton of classic Sterns redone but I don;t want them reskinned for premium prices.
    As for previous DE/Segas....maybe Robocop is the only one I would care aboot. Back to the Future is a classic franchise but doesn't interest me much.

#10 38 days ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

The op was pretty clear..."I think Stern has done a great job with their new takes on Black Knight, Jurassic Park, and reworked Seawitch (Beatles)."

I guess I missed that first sentence and focused in on Flash Gordon

#11 38 days ago

Let's not forget Star Trek In that instance, I actually prefer the original STTNG (and I've owned both...STLE long gone).

Oh yeah, KISS was also a modern take that paid homage to the original Bally. In that case, the modern version killed it (even if it took 3 years for the code to fully bake

Flash Gordon would be my top pick as well...

#12 38 days ago

Will be interesting to see JJP's take on GNR

#13 38 days ago

It may sound silly but a deeper coded Gilligan's Island could be pretty great too. After all . . . . Munsters.

#14 38 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I don't know any of the legal aspects but Black Knight was a Williams title. I'm sure they could purchase the rights if they were so motivated.

Yeah but Black Knight was a completely fresh layout with simply the name Black Knight: Sword of Rage. I’m pretty sure the legal name was skirted around because they added “sword of rage” so therefor it’s not Black Knight or BK2K. So essentially there’s nothing but the fact it’s the same designer and considered a successor to the other 2 but is completely unique.
    Same with KISS. However Seawitch was literally a Classic Stern design they reused. I’m surprised they didn’t have to credit Mike Kuben. They could reuse it
    because I’m pretty sure nobody currently owns Stern Electronic’s IP.

#15 38 days ago

Well that's great. Then all they have to do is call it "Flash Gordon Savior of the Universe." which will immediately be deemed FGSOU

#16 38 days ago

I would love if CGC remade the Bally class of '81

#17 38 days ago

Black Knight was licensed from CGC or PPS. Stern paid them to use the name music and what ever else.

#18 38 days ago

I'd like to see Flight 2000 get remade. Someone on Pinside is reworking new code for it right now and I think that is really cool. And way over my head.

#19 38 days ago

I know it will never happen but I'd still like to see Total Recall made.

image-2 (resized).jpg
    #20 38 days ago

That thing reminds me of a two-headed calf at some midwestern county fair.

#22 38 days ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I know it will never happen but I'd still like to see Total Recall made.[quoted image]

I’m glad I’m not the only one. It’s claimed to have been destroyed after that Expo but I believe some collector has it squirreled away somewhere. Even though it undoubtably plays like garbage, I’d love to see it just for the novelty and the original design

#23 38 days ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I know it will never happen but I'd still like to see Total Recall made.[quoted image]

Oh, shite! That is tight!
    How do you move a tandem pin, anyway? Like, how do you get it on a dolly? Heaven forbid you would split the thing in half for each move!

#24 38 days ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

I would love if CGC remade the Bally class of '81

If there are eight in this class, which are you choosing?

#25 38 days ago

Nine Ball

#26 38 days ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Oh, shite! That is tight!
    How do you move a tandem pin, anyway? Like, how do you get it on a dolly? Heaven forbid you would split the thing in half for each move!

My guess is the engineers designed it to break down into three different sections. Another flaw about it is floor space.
    I still enjoy the movie and think it would translate well into a pinball theme.

#27 37 days ago
    Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

If there are eight in this class, which are you choosing?

Centaur, Fathom, or EBD. I have FG, but would love any of them tbh.

I think Fathom and Centaur would probably sell the best based on their popularity though. And both are original themes, so they would only need to get the rights from whoever owns them. Talk about a great year in pinball!

#29 37 days ago

Yeah but Black Knight was a completely fresh layout with simply the name Black Knight: Sword of Rage. I’m pretty sure the legal name was skirted around because they added “sword of rage” so therefor it’s not Black Knight or BK2K. So essentially there’s nothing but the fact it’s the same designer and considered a successor to the other 2 but is completely unique.
    Same with KISS. However Seawitch was literally a Classic Stern design they reused. I’m surprised they didn’t have to credit Mike Kuben. They could reuse it
    because I’m pretty sure nobody currently owns Stern Electronic’s IP.

I thought Gary's ex wife held the classic Stern games i
    IP?

#30 37 days ago

Orbitor 1, do a limited run of 100.

#31 37 days ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Black Knight was licensed from CGC or PPS. Stern paid them to use the name music and what ever else.

I didn’t know Stern needed to license BKSOR

Quoted from chad:

I thought Gary's ex wife held the classic Stern games IP?

(Fixed the spelling)
    That I’m not sure

Quoted from Darcy:

O1 CREW REPRESENT!!!
    Orbitor 1 was wildly popular and Stern had over 4K orders for the game, but the went under before its full potential was realized and unfortunately the complete lack of parts and its extremely short run ended up warping the games original reception.

#32 37 days ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

I'm pretty sure Pinside would complain about a bad playfield. LOL

#33 37 days ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm pretty sure Pinside would complain about bad playfields. LOL

And the game plays after 4 games.
    Great idea, but what a dud

#34 37 days ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

It may sound silly but a deeper coded Gilligan's Island could be pretty great too.

YES.

Either a re-design with some "real" episode tie-ins and toys, or a re-release with software updates that remove 50M, Gift of Gods, and the lack of ramp operation in the ball search.

I distinctly remember reading somebody suggesting an "Escape the Island" wizard mode that you can never quite reach/complete.

#35 37 days ago

I didn’t know Stern needed to license BKSOR

Yep, all the "original none license" Williams, Bally games are licensed by their company.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #36 37 days ago

Fathom and Centaur.

The majority of old Sterns aren’t that good.

#37 37 days ago
    Quoted from Methos:

The majority of old Sterns aren’t that good.

There a nice chunk that are though. For sure stinkers in there though.

#38 37 days ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

There a nice chunk that are though. For sure stinkers in there though.

Agreed. The ones that are good are good, but there are a lot of dogs. If they made the same amount as the ballys, they would not nearly be as high market wise.

#39 37 days ago

I'd love to see paragon or hot doggin. A new fast ,wide body with many ramps would be great

#40 36 days ago

How about Meteor?

#41 36 days ago

Split second?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    MicksPinball
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 3.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Game Room Info Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Meph's Mods
    $ 130.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Rods Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 21.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside