(Topic ID: 67629)

What other titles would be good candidates for PPS to re-run?

By gweempose

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ShinyBall
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

horses-ass.jpg
kokokokokokoko.jpg
einstein.jpg
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

the more pins being made, the better.

The more NEW title pins being made, the better.

Some of JPop's patents that were leaked look very interesting. I'm excited to see what's in store!

Let's keep moving forward.

#102 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Remakes are $8K.
Nice CVs can still be bought for $7K.

More specifically, MM remakes are $8K. Future remakes will be whatever PPS decides to charge for them.

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Gene actually wanted to make more BBBs. Problem is, he ran out of parts.

Gene told me he made every BBB he had Capcom CPU boards for. He initially had 183 boards, so that's how many he sold as numbered games.

He did find a few extra boards late in the run, so those games had a serial number of EXP . This gave an additional 8 games to the run.

The Capcom CPU has a custom ASIC chip that would have minimum run of 100,000 to ever make again (again per Gene). This is the same reason that the MMr is not using the Williams CPU board, there are not 2000 Williams ASIC chips left on earth.

So just like the MMr, a new BBB would be using a modern processor emulating the old Capcom ASIC.

Everything else is just plywood, plastic and wire, lol.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well, since that's right down my alley I can enlighten and bore everyone to death but I won't
Suffice it to say that the profits of each entity are ending up in the same place.....

Yeah, but you don't need to know anything about business to know that the profits of each company are ending up in the same place...Jack's pocket...since he owns both companies.

But that's not the point. But again, you already know that too.

People are acting as though Pinballsales.com and JJP are one and the same. They are not (at least not as far as I know and nobody has said differently). So in theory JJP could go belly up, and Pinballsales.com could stay afloat and make healthy profits, or vice versa.

#105 10 years ago
Quoted from elZilcho:

Not yet *, but for example Alice.
Utracool theme (i like borderline light/darkness), custom art, jpop toys, nowadays not overly expensive, ect
And limited.
Sure jpop is an artist and its gonna take forever, but those are the real collectibles. ( imo offc
*totan is sexy too!

OMG the Cult of Jpop, I can't take it. You're talking about his 3rd game when the first one isn't even remote close to being finished!!! We'll all be dead by the time Alice ever shows up! Enjoy the present, stop swooning for vaporware.

For the record I love Jpop games...I have CV and TOM ...but we see how hard it is for companies like Stern and JJP to make a game with a full staff and support...I honestly don't see how he's ever going to get finished products out. If he does, rub it in my face later. Life's too short to put any faith in it now.

#106 10 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

No..........
The PPS MM remake is 8k.
Dont look surprised if other partys step in, we are not the only ones that notice remakes go out this fast for these prices.
Maybe some one or company steps in, buys bally rights, or gottlieb, Sega........ you never know.
I say: bring it on: the more pins being made, the better.

Bally is Williams. PPS has those rights.

Stern owns Sega. Data east, Sega, stern, same product line and evolution.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...I honestly don't see how he's ever going to get finished products out. If he does, rub it in my face later.

I need to save this off somewhere ...

#108 10 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Then you can't afford one. Either make more money or you can't have one. Simple. Hunt titles you can afford. Wow, that easy.

Wow, nice condescending statement and talk about being arrogant and big headed. Not surprised though considering you have all HUO and HEP titles. I already own a HUO MM so it's not a matter of me being able to afford one, so please get your facts straight before making assumptions. Unlike you I don't feel entitled to own games and welcome MMR so others can now get their hands on one. It's a great game so why shouldn't more collectors have the opportunity to own one in their collection and enjoy it? Isn't that what pinball is all about? Forums can bring out the best of people and thanks for confirming it.

#109 10 years ago

I'm holding out for "Popeye" and "Bugs Bunny's Birthday Bash".

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

And that would probably make more sense over other B/W titles in terms of being closer to a "sure thing" comparable to what happened with the MMr announcement. I.e., he would sell out very quickly and could easily charge $8k and probably more. I.e., lots of profit.
People are already talking about how they expect AFM to be priced at a minimum of $1k less than MM. I bet that doesn't happen. If not, the demand for AFMr won't be the same as MMr. Still, given how high the demand was for MMr, even at half the demand, AFMr might still make sense, especially since so many of the parts are already tooled.
BBB and Kingpin would require them to start from scratch.

I've only seen the few speculators on this, but I think the overall consensus is 8k is the price point of these remakes, regardless of titles. I definitely expect that, and if at the time I can't afford it, I just won't buy.

On another note it is getting old for people to be upset at the price since no one is forcing them to buy.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I've only seen the few speculators on this, but I think the overall consensus is 8k is the price point of these remakes, regardless of titles.

I think that would be a big mistake. MM is an anomaly. Yes, the game is incredibly popular, but there is more to it than that. Over the years, it has gained a mystique that is rivaled only by BBB. It goes beyond people simply liking the game. There is a perception among many people in the hobby that MM is the holy grail of pins; that no true collection is complete without one. This group think mentality is undeniably one of the main factors that has caused the price to sky rocket. None of the other games that have been discussed as potential remakes carry this same cachet.

#112 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I think that would be a big mistake. MM is an anomaly. Yes, the game is incredibly popular, but there is more to it than that. Over the years, it has gained a mystique that is rivaled only by BBB. It goes beyond people simply liking the game. There is a perception among many people in the hobby that MM is the holy grail of pins; that no true collection is complete without one. This group think mentality is undeniably one of the main factors that has caused the price to sky rocket. None of the other games that have been discussed as potential remakes carry this same cachet.

A big mistake to charge 8k for the other remakes? Sorry, not 100% sure what you are saying here since I agree on most of the rest of your post.

#113 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

A big mistake to charge 8k for the other remakes?

Yes. I don't think charging $8K for every remake regardless of the title is a smart business move. MM, BBB, MB and possibly CC (if it can run CCC) are the only games that I think warrant such a high price tag. AFM, while popular, should not be priced as high. I broke it down in another thread, but here it is again ...

Quoted from gweempose:

The key for PPS going forward is to pick the right price point in order to maximize profits. I think they were spot on charging $8K for MM. Other than perhaps BBB, there is no other game with such a high demand. I'm sure they would still sell a bunch of AFMs at $8K, but they would probably sell at least double that amount if they were priced at $6K. I'm no expert in economics, but there has to be a lot more profit in selling 2000 AFMs at $6K vs. 1000 AFMs at $8K. I don't think it would cost anywhere near 4 million bucks to build 1000 extra AFMs. Hypothetically, let's say each machine costs them $1,000 to build. That would leave an extra $3M in profits.

#114 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm no expert in economics, but there has to be a lot more profit in selling 2000 AFMs at $6K vs. 1000 AFMs at $8K.

Nope. You don't know that at all, and it could actually be very far from the truth. That is making all kinds of assumptions that simply cannot be made.

If it costs them $5500.00 to make AFM, they earn $1 million selling at $6k if they sell 2000 of them.

At $8k, they earn $2.5 million in profit if they sell 1000 of them. So in that case, selling half the units for more money earns them significantly more profit.

So my example makes a big assumption too (and I don't think it will cost that much to make it), simply for the sake of making the point. It all comes down to what their cost analysis is.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nope. You don't know that at all, and it could actually be very far from the truth. That is making all kinds of assumptions that simply cannot be made.

If it costs them $5500.00 to make AFM, they earn $1 million selling at $6k if they sell 2000 of them.

At $8k, they earn $2.5 million in profit if they sell 1000 of them. So in that case, selling half the units for more money earns them significantly more profit.

So my example makes a big assumption too (and I don't think it will cost that much to make it), simply for the sake of making the point. It all comes down to what their cost analysis is.

You are absolutely correct that my numbers are based on assumptions, and they may be way off, but I don't see how it can possibly cost them anywhere near $5,500 a game to make AFM. I'm sure it will cost a lot to develop the emulation board and get the factory up and running, but that should all be covered by the MMR profits. Once the infrastructure is established, they should be able to churn out future games fairly cheaply.

#116 10 years ago

I sorry to much SWAG going on here.(Scientific Wild Ass Guessing)

1 None of us have any clue what the profit margin is vs actual cost.
2. If there is a good profit, Are they looking to reinvest?
3. Do they wish to become a fulltime Pinball manufacturing Co.
4. What will the future market hold?

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You are absolutely correct that my numbers are based on assumptions, and they may be way off, but I don't see how it can possibly cost them anywhere near $5,500 a game to make AFM. I'm sure it will cost a lot to develop the emulation board and get the factory up and running, but that should all be covered by the MMR profits. Once the infrastructure is established, they should be able to churn out future games fairly cheaply.

Right, it's all pure speculation at this point. Like I said, it comes down to their cost analysis.

It's fun to speculate and predict though. If AFM cost them $4000.00 to make, and they sold 2000 of them in your example at $6000.00, they would have a profit of $4 million.

If they sold half as many (1000) at a price of $8000.00, they would also have a profit of $4 million.

Of course none of that takes into account the fact that they could earn additional profit by selling more units because that means that they can sell more replacement parts in the future when the pin breaks down. And from what I understand, pins break down.

#118 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. I don't think charging $8K for every remake regardless of the title is a smart business move. MM, BBB, MB and possibly CC (if it can run CCC) are the only games that I think warrant such a high price tag. AFM, while popular, should not be priced as high. I broke it down in another thread, but here it is again ...

Got it. Yeah, regardless it just won't happen. Always best to sell a handful less for a higher dollar amount.

Quoted from RobT:

Right, it's all pure speculation at this point. Like I said, it comes down to their cost analysis.
It's fun to speculate and predict though. If AFM cost them $4000.00 to make, and they sold 2000 of them in your example at $6000.00, they would have a profit of $4 million.
If they sold half as many (1000) at a price of $8000.00, they would also have a profit of $4 million.
Of course none of that takes into account the fact that they could earn additional profit by selling more units because that means that they can sell more replacement parts in the future when the pin breaks down. And from what I understand, pins break down.

Sorta. Might come down to larger discounts for 2000 as opposed to 1000 and if assembly line is up then keep that bad boy going since there is a fee for simply setting it up to make the games. Might be minimal, but could always be hundreds of thousands of savings in the end.

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Sorta. Might come down to larger discounts for 2000 as opposed to 1000 and if assembly line is up then keep that bad boy going since there is a fee for simply setting it up to make the games. Might be minimal, but could always be hundreds of thousands of savings in the end.

I kind of doubt that there would be any significant savings. They are the ones already making most of the parts. Not sure what kind of volume discount you could get on the other stuff (cabinets?)

#120 10 years ago

Centaur - $5-6k, could be run on a teensy or arduino or something. Heck, just make a kit with PF and harness/hardware/transformer. Please...

#121 10 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

I sorry to much SWAG going on here.(Scientific Wild Ass Guessing)
1 None of us have any clue what the profit margin is vs actual cost.
2. If there is a good profit, Are they looking to reinvest?
3. Do they wish to become a fulltime Pinball manufacturing Co.
4. What will the future market hold?

I have been in the finance/accounting world for over 25 years. Have worked for Mom and Pops to Fortune 500 companies.

Even then - I could only guess at the actual cost. Unless you have ever operated a business, your lack of knowledge is so high - it's off the charts. I'm sure there are costs to this project that even I can't think of let alone try and figure out their overhead or indirect costs.

Unless they are a public company or you have a financial interest in their capital - you have neither the business, nor the right to be privy to any of their margins, OCF, tax liabilities, or how to choose their reinvest their profits.

That's their business.

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Yes. I don't think charging $8K for every remake regardless of the title is a smart business move. MM, BBB, MB and possibly CC (if it can run CCC) are the only games that I think warrant such a high price tag.

BBB sold for $4500 with the end cost actually being $7300 and that was with 70% of the game already in stock.

So if BBB was remade, now with *nothing* on hand, the selling price would probably be $10K or more.

Keep in mind, Kingpin was slated to cost $8K......five years ago!

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

So if BBB was remade, now with *nothing* on hand, the selling price would probably be $10K or more.

I agree, and they would sell a bunch of them at that price.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I agree, and they would sell a bunch of them at that price.

Maybe, maybe not.

As of December 2012, less than 150 people had signed up for Kingpin.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

BBB sold for $4500 with the end cost actually being $7300

That number is often called into question.

We all know how Gene likes to quote big numbers.

MM is more complicated than KP, and probably on par with BBB.

The only thing "different" on BBB is the lighting on the tube ramp, and the tube dancer herself. Otherwise it's all plywood, plastic and wires.

#126 10 years ago

I've edited my original post. I think AFM would be Planetary Pinball's next remake if they do one at all.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#127 10 years ago

No more remakes please... let have new games.

#128 10 years ago

More remakes please... Let have finished games.

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

No more remakes please... let have new games.

One has nothing to do with the other. Planetary was never gonna make new games and their remakes won't stop Stern, JJP, Heighway and others from making new games.

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One has nothing to do with the other. Planetary was never gonna make new games and their remakes won't stop Stern, JJP, Heighway and others from making new games.

Not enough money to go around! If remakes continue to be made it will definitely hurt and maybe even kill Stern and/or JJP. If it continues you would be talking about millions and millions of dollars a year going to PPS for remakes... how do these other companies make up for those lost sales? Something will give so yes it could easily stop Stern, JJP and others from making new titles.

#131 10 years ago

It will put definitely more pressure on them to deliver TOP machines.
"If" I could spent 8k on a new pinball machine.... which one would I take...
- WOZ
- Star Trek LE
- MM

MM at this time...

And next time????
- Hobbit
- Whatever Stern LE
- CC, AFM, MB or... CV, TOTAN, SS

That will be a tough question! Not good for JJP or Stern! There is NOT endless money in the market (my opinion).

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from frg:

"If" I could spent 8k on a new pinball machine.... which one would I take...
- WOZ
- Star Trek LE
- MM
MM at this time...
And next time????
- Hobbit
- Whatever Stern LE
- CC, AFM, MB or... CV, TOTAN, SS
That will be a tough question! Not good for JJP or Stern! There is NOT endless money in the market (my opinion).

Exactly... many can't seem to understand this. I would much rather see Stern and JJP competing for people's money with new, cool titles as well as seeing what some of these other groups continue to produce like JPOP, Spooky etc.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from frg:

Competition is generally a good thing. Look how Stern stepped up their game after WOZ was announced. MMR will force them to step it up even more if they want to survive.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Look how Stern stepped up their game after WOZ was announced.

Honest, not trolling question: How exactly did they step their game up?

#135 10 years ago

Then Stern and JJP need to step it up and put out some great games so people buy them over remakes. There is a lot of money to go around in this hobby and just look at some peoples collections. Collectors would be selling their older games if there was something worth buying that is new. Plus the unfinished code gets old after a while and people are fed up. With duds like TF, XMEN, and AV it's a crap shoot if you will get one like that or good game like Tron or AC/DC.

#136 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well, they hired back both Lyman and Ritchie. Need I say more?

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Then Stern and JJP need to step it up and put out some great games so people buy them over remakes.

If they are losing sales and not making money that's the last thing they will do is 'step it up'... more apt to 'step it down'

But at least we'll have our twenty year old originals and twenty year refakes! HIP HIP HOORAAY!

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gene told me he made every BBB he had Capcom CPU boards for. He initially had 183 boards, so that's how many he sold as numbered games.
He did find a few extra boards late in the run, so those games had a serial number of EXP . This gave an additional 8 games to the run.
The Capcom CPU has a custom ASIC chip that would have minimum run of 100,000 to ever make again (again per Gene). This is the same reason that the MMr is not using the Williams CPU board, there are not 2000 Williams ASIC chips left on earth.
So just like the MMr, a new BBB would be using a modern processor emulating the old Capcom ASIC.
Everything else is just plywood, plastic and wire, lol.

Wayne had 10,000 ASIC chips made. He was selling them on his site a few years ago.

#139 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Not enough money to go around! If remakes continue to be made it will definitely hurt and maybe even kill Stern and/or JJP. If it continues you would be talking about millions and millions of dollars a year going to PPS for remakes... how do these other companies make up for those lost sales? Something will give so yes it could easily stop Stern, JJP and others from making new titles.

If they produced better games at a decent price point, then no one would want the older remakes would they?

You don't see anybody remaking old EM games now do you?

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

You don't see anybody remaking old EM games now do you?

They remade King of Diamonds, but I don't think they were very successful with it.

#141 10 years ago

For years Gary said that home buyers were not his target market, operators were. Well during that time things slowly changed and I think the home buyer became more important than was let on.

The home market is not the same as the operator market. Home buyers DO care about unfinished code, they DO look at the value proposition differently, weighing game fun factor and replayablity of the title in lieu of earning potential.

The hobby part of this market is heading more and more to boutique games, and that includes remakes like it or not. It's what the hobby part of the market is demanding. The dollars will flow. Everything is changing. Compete or die.

#142 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I don't think enough people will pay $8k for TZ (a licenses theme) or TOTAN. It's possible mb would cost and extra $500 or $1000 per game due to licenses also.

how much can a license be if skit b got the license for predator, and according to something i read his mother said they have already secured 2 other licenses.

maybe kevin can give some insight on the cost of a license.

thanks ed

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Wayne had 10,000 ASIC chips made. He was selling them on his site a few years ago.

**if** that is true, then somehow it was less money for PPS to redesign a whole new board, than buy Wayne0's 10,000 ASICs....

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

They stepped it up to $8,000.00

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from edcianci:

how much can a license be if skit b got the license for Predator, and according to something i read his mother said they have already secured 2 other licenses.
maybe kevin can give some insight on the cost of a license.
thanks ed

I truly believe people have crazy overblown notions about how much licensing something like this costs. I believe part of the Skit B license deal was the 250 machine limit though, so I imagine the size of the run affects the cost structure. Can you honestly see more than a couple thousand MB machines selling? That's still small potatoes in the world of licensing.

All I have is informed guesses though, so who knows!

#146 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

512 pinsiders own MM and it used to sell for 13k491 pinsiders own AFM and it sells for 8k410 pinsiders own MB and it sells for 10k113 pinsiders own CC and it sells for 12K61 pinsiders own BBB and it sells for 19K
Gene owns the rights to BBB and, obviously is open to remake.
I'm sure his fee to license the title would be much less than Williams charged for MM
BBB is the obvious next choice.

If it's really BBB I see the prices not much higher than currently for the Airborne by the end .
Furthermore BBB's gameplay isn't that impressive ... its just the figure of having some special / rare which is keeping the price up. That would be a small desaster for the current BBB owners.

#147 10 years ago

Stern could remake IM, POTC, SM, LOTR would all probably sell if priced under $6K

#148 10 years ago

All of these Stern/JJP doomsday scenarios assume that a.) all of the remake sales are cannibalized from other sales and b.) that Stern/JJP won't benefit from the remakes bringing net new purchasers into the hobby. The first of those points is TBD; certainly some percentage of MMR sales will be made with existing pinhead money that would have gone to other manufacturers, we just don't know how much.

I think the second of those points hasn't gotten enough consideration. I'd bet that right now, there is a not insignificant number of people who get into pinball via Pinball Arcade on their mobile device (on which MM/MB/AFM are catnip), get the thought that maybe they could own a MM, go to ebay, get their hair blown back by a 15K price, consider the difficulty of supporting an old machine, and decide it's not worth pursuing. Consequently, they never enter the hobby.

What'll happen when they instead see an 8K warrantied NIB MMR available instead? Some of them are going to buy. And we all know that once you get a machine in the house -- it's not alone for long. Some of them are then going to make a Stern or JJP their second purchase. It's hard to say how many, of course, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the new money that comes into the hobby as a whole as the result of the remakes balances out the cannibalized sales.

#149 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Obviously you would simply prefer "new" games and that's fine, but...it can't really be about competition. If it was you would have to apply the exact same argument about Jersey Jack Pinball or any of the smaller start up companies. The market will dictate the future of pinball. In the mean time an increase in supply will benefit the consumer, period. As a consumer this is great news.

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from c3trey:

What'll happen when they instead see an 8K warrantied NIB MMR available instead?

That is still a sizable purchase.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Thornton, CO
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 21.50
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 1,059.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 9.95
There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-other-titles-would-be-good-candidates-for-pps-to-re-run/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.