(Topic ID: 291050)

What other hobbies do you have that are as cheap as pinball?

By JohnTTwo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16197782667633124327064568005183 (resized).jpg
20200708_182436 (resized).jpg
20210321_150438 (resized).jpg
20210412_154616-1 (resized).jpg
machine_3c3f897e-d6c8-4fe0-86f0-57495cf582f6 (resized).jpg
field (resized).jpg
06EB8962-450C-4755-AADE-81EE14BD363B.jpeg
PXL_20201126_181902434 (resized).jpg
post1 (resized).jpg
porkribs7 (resized).jpg
porkbuns3 (resized).jpg
porkchinesebbq3 (resized).jpg
prawnspringrolls1 (resized).jpg
maitake2 (resized).jpg
lionsmane5 (resized).jpg
kingoysters2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hwyhed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

Actual cheap hobbies...
Darts - A top of the line bristle board and set of steel tip darts will cost you $250 at the most. It's free to use, and requires practically zero maintenance. It's social and pretty much anyone can play. I consider it to be the first thing anyone should add to their game room, even before pinball!
Board games (tabletop gaming) - I got into these in the last few years. There's something out there for everyone. The games themselves normally run about 60, but hold their value pretty well. I brought in more games than I need to try and find some staples, and I'll probably sell those others.
Video games - Think about the cost of a system and the amount of utility it offers over its useful life. It's really one of my biggest bang/buck hobbies. If you really want to make it a budget hobby, consider going back one generation and experiencing that huge catalog of games.
Pool - You can get a solid pool cue for less than $200, anything higher and you're typically paying for fancy inlays etc. Sure, there are some high end shafts that can run a bit of money (up to 500), but I don't think those are necessary for a hobbyist. You can rent a table by the hour at a lot of pool halls, or pay per game at a bar. Even a home table isn't all that expensive. If you're patient you can probably find a quality table anywhere from free to a thousand or so. Pay to have someone move it and set it up, and you can spend less than 2k on something that will last you a lifetime and again, require practically no maintenance. Not to mention the pool table itself offers a lot of utility as a work surface (wrapping presents, food for parties, shopping a pin, poker, etc)
Programming - I've been learning python here and there. I find it rewarding and challenging to plug away at my own programs - basically a puzzle for which there's no one answer. The PC requirements are minimal, so I'd consider this one to be practically free.
Education - There's a multitude of resources available for free... khan academy, mit.edu, etc etc. You can pick up any topic of interest and learn as much about it as you can possibly stand. If you enjoy learning, consider free resources first, and then dive into paid materials if you feel it would be beneficial. I obtained a degree from a traditional 4 year university, and I'll admit that I could have accumulated about as much useful knowledge for free.
Golf - It certainly has a reputation of being expensive, but there are a lot of cheap ways to enjoy the hobby. Buy a solid set of used clubs and they'll last you as long as you want them to (regrip every few years as needed). Buy cheap balls and focus on using one ball/round. Take advantage of twilight rates or loyalty memberships. Walk instead of ride (great exercise!).
Sim racing/flying - OK.. maybe not exactly cheap, but as an alternative to REAL racing, you're saving a ton of money. It's one of those hobbies you can sort of ease into. If you already have a gaming PC, your cost of entry could be as low as a few hundred dollars. Building out my rig has been a hobby in itself.
Fishing - The cost of good equipment and a fishing license every year and you're good to go. I sold my canoe a few years ago, so I'm not really bass hunting as much anymore, but shore fishing has been nearly as much fun. I love just hiking around lakes and tossing a line. I used to have several setups at the ready, now I just focus on a simplistic and easy to carry setup for maximum mobility.
Hiking - Some good footwear is really all you need to get started.
R/C - I used to be into this a long time ago and things have really changed. The same companies are still putting out products, and the prices don't seem astronomical to me. There are budget spaces in this, too. The mini R/C stuff is pretty intriguing to me. I personally have some Micro R/C and was running them in my garage with temporary 1/2" pvc tracks. It was loads of fun, and both vehicles and all the materials cost me less than 200.

I’m w you on this 1. Darts are fun and cheap. The flights/shafts can be had at a reasonable price. I use to play a lot of golf when I was younger, but not to many courses where the green fees were over 40/round. Nowadays, I’m happy playing an executive course, or even a par 3 while enjoying a few beers. Playing cards is a very cheap thing to do too.. hearts, rummy, blackjack..red dog/between the sheets and presidents n assholes, cards against humanity w drinks is always fun

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hwyhed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-other-hobbies-do-you-have-that-are-as-cheap-as-pinball?tu=hwyhed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.