(Topic ID: 291050)

What other hobbies do you have that are as cheap as pinball?

By JohnTTwo

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 116 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16197782667633124327064568005183 (resized).jpg
20200708_182436 (resized).jpg
20210321_150438 (resized).jpg
20210412_154616-1 (resized).jpg
machine_3c3f897e-d6c8-4fe0-86f0-57495cf582f6 (resized).jpg
field (resized).jpg
06EB8962-450C-4755-AADE-81EE14BD363B.jpeg
PXL_20201126_181902434 (resized).jpg
post1 (resized).jpg
porkribs7 (resized).jpg
porkbuns3 (resized).jpg
porkchinesebbq3 (resized).jpg
prawnspringrolls1 (resized).jpg
maitake2 (resized).jpg
lionsmane5 (resized).jpg
kingoysters2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnTTwo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I really do not understand how or why people say pinball cost so much or so high.

I currently have 5 dirt bikes and am selling one this week KTM 250 SFX for 5k paid just under 10k for it so a 5 loss

We belong to a boat club and it cost us about 6k per year plus gas every time out.

I enjoy hunting and it cost me about 5k a year.

We enjoy vacationing Morritts on Grand Cayman 20k per year

Pinball to date has had a capital out lay but a positive ROI over all. Even if prices were to fall in half it would still be by far my cheapest hobby on a annual basis. I honestly do not know how many kilowatts a pinball uses but I know it doesn't pop my 15 amp circuit breaker.

What other hobbie do you do that is as cheap as pinball on a annual basis.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Why is hunting so expensive? Are you including all the target practice supplies and travel maybe? Just curious as a long-time outdoorsman.

Mostly travel cost to other states (4-6), guided snow goose hunts, out of state licenses. Guns and ammo are cheap . I maybe shoot 3,000 12 gauge rounds a year.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from JBtheAVguy:

In response to the OP...you say

We don’t all have deep pockets. You’ve gotta purchase a machine first and a decent machine these days cost real money.
I’ll meet you at the boat club after we get back from our hunting trip so we can discuss our vacations then we’ll go rip it up at the track. Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Your in! I have a crf450 and a new Husky 450 your choice!!! Braaaaaaaaap! Love it!

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Could it be that there are people without 5 dirt bikes, boat clubs, 20k vacations which to whom pinball is indeed a relative large expense?

Sorry my point was with pinball the annual cost is not there, heck most guys on this site if they sold out would have a positive gain "from their hobbie" That was the point I was trying to make. Other hobbies cost money that is out the window. Pinball gives back when selling and gives back more in a lot of cases.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

OP is obviously waiving his dick around. Charming.

No no. No. That wasnt your point. It was to brag. An odd face save you attempted, but you can't fool us.

My apologies for coming across that way.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

I wasn't really offend buy the OPs post. Just figured it was more of a "pinball retains it's value compared to other hobbies" post than a flex. Which is absolutely true.
Fortunately pinball is a hobby you can enjoy at almost any tax bracket. I'm sure I'm kicking around in the lower end of the spectrum but am grateful to be in it and having fun. Most hobbies have their high rollers and that's ok.

Thanks for understanding

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I wasn't offended either, but then again, I rarely am. The OP does have more than a hint of him letting us know he's a "big baller". Maybe he could take some of his hobby money and take a class on tactfulness?

If you consider a construction worker a big baller guilty as charged I do have 2 other jobs as well. Being on welfare as child has taught me a lot about hard work. Starting to relax now and enjoy life as I get older. I laugh at Addams Family every time he screams "who says you can't take it with you" I yell back "me" as in, I say "you can't take it with you"

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

If that is the case then I genuinely owe you an apology. You must make good money though as you have a lot of expensive hobbies.

Being poor as child has taught me many valuable lessons in life about money. I would not buy my first home til I had 50%, no debt ever, no over spending, before this no debt Dave Ramsey craze, I was living that life. Still remember my buddy laughing at my toy truck, Ford Ranger, same guy with no retirement savings today. I am not a cheapskate but extremely frugal, and if we ever meet there is a 99% chance the pants I have on will be from Goodwill. Apology accepted, it is tough on line to know a person or their intent, I am a terrible writer who has over come dyslexia (computer help) so usually it is on me when a person gets a wrong read on me from my posts, my apologies for my poor grammer skill (e on purpose). Have a great day! John

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JohnTTwo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-other-hobbies-do-you-have-that-are-as-cheap-as-pinball?tu=JohnTTwo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.