(Topic ID: 173055)

What other GTB EM's used a B-8091 transformer?

By pocketscience

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161120_111407_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161120_103845_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161120_102436_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161109_214111_resized (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 11.00.29 pm (resized).png
IMG_0268 (resized).JPG
IMG_0267 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pocketscience.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

The transformer in my Strange World went up in a large puff of smoke and heat on the weekend mid-way through my wife's 40th party. I've confirmed that at least one other SW in Australia has the exact same setup as mine, B-8091 with a jones plug on the motor board to select between 115 or 230VAC. So I'm wondering what other machines used this setup to aid my search for a replacement transformer...

Pic is not my B-8091... mine is as black as the inside of a large German Shepherd.

IMG_0267 (resized).JPGIMG_0267 (resized).JPG

IMG_0268 (resized).JPGIMG_0268 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

Yeah, I figured that Doug. Any thoughts on whether I could get the ruined one rewound? I've put some feelers out to sparkys contacts.

#9 7 years ago

Bottom line: would rather keep it factory... but if all else fails I'll look at other options.

#13 7 years ago

PM coming your way!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

he is VERY lucky to find that. they are rare state side. not sure how hard to find elsewhere.
i only had 1 in 20 yrs. and that was in a parts machine

Agreed! Mr pinhead52 is indeed one of the good guys! Strange World will indeed live again!!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

yea this is a 2p to a 4p, should be fine. the 230v xformer is a beast! Pocketscience will pick it up and hand carry home from LA. Cant wait to see how well it goes thru xray

I've taken weirder things through x-ray over the years... 3D printers, playfields and backglasses come to mind..

1 week later
#30 7 years ago

Legend. Massive massive thank you to Ken!!

2 weeks later
#32 7 years ago

I've received the B-8091 transformer Ken removed from his FarOut. I'm currently in CA, and will be flying back home to Sydney to complete the second half of the transplant surgery over the weekend!

4 months later
#33 7 years ago

I never did follow up on this... the transformer from Ken is working flawlessly in my Strange World. However, it wasn't the end of the problems that I think went to cause the transformer to let go in the way it did. Two of the pop bumper coils were a mess - like the coil sleeves were melted, jamming them completely! I think one of the pop bumper switches got stuck on, and whoever was playing the game didn't realise (combo of newbie, party noise, etc) and the coils jammed on and went into meltdown, which subsequently caused the transformer to bail. All without blowing a fuse. After replacing all the coils, sleeves, stops, etc and fixing up the switches everything now plays perfectly. Thanks again Ken!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pocketscience.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-other-gtb-ems-used-a-b-8091-transformer?tu=pocketscience and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.