(Topic ID: 173055)

What other GTB EM's used a B-8091 transformer?

By pocketscience

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinhead52
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20161120_111407_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161120_103845_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161120_102436_resized_1 (resized).jpg
20161109_214111_resized (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 11.00.29 pm (resized).png
IMG_0268 (resized).JPG
IMG_0267 (resized).JPG

#1 3 years ago

The transformer in my Strange World went up in a large puff of smoke and heat on the weekend mid-way through my wife's 40th party. I've confirmed that at least one other SW in Australia has the exact same setup as mine, B-8091 with a jones plug on the motor board to select between 115 or 230VAC. So I'm wondering what other machines used this setup to aid my search for a replacement transformer...

Pic is not my B-8091... mine is as black as the inside of a large German Shepherd.

IMG_0267 (resized).JPG

IMG_0268 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

oh dear.. you'll be needing this.

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 11.00.29 pm (resized).png

#3 3 years ago

Yeah, I figured that Doug. Any thoughts on whether I could get the ruined one rewound? I've put some feelers out to sparkys contacts.

#4 3 years ago

no thoughts sorry. hard item to find here.

#5 3 years ago

Dear pocketscience,
If it's hard to find this transformer, just buy 2 new ones, one of 240 - 24 V 360 VA and the other 240 - 6 V 200 VA
Success

#6 3 years ago

thanks for the power figures.. whats your source for them ? is it for single player games? you saved me measuring them before getting them made

#7 3 years ago

Why not install a readily available B6183 & run it through a 240-110v step down transformer.

#8 3 years ago

lol .. theres always someone who doesnt have tech ocd.

its like an electric chainsaw.. it probably works but .. it .. just .. isnt .. right..

#9 3 years ago

Bottom line: would rather keep it factory... but if all else fails I'll look at other options.

#10 3 years ago

Hi pocketscience +
What Voltage / Hertz do You have in Australia ? 220 VAC and 50 Hertz ? Or 230 VAC and 50 Hertz ? Or what ?

It is not easy to look up in Gottlieb schematics --- ipdb is not allowed to show Gottlieb paperwork. I could find in my schematics the "Spirit of 76" having an transformer "B-8091". The schematics says ("Spirit of 76") FOR US-Market: Transformer "B6183" to be used.

I say: EVERY pin beeing imported to Australia has an transformer "good to use in Australia" - to find a replacement transformer - two questions:
- DOES the "Strange World schematics" shows "stuff like an motor for a swinging target operated by 110 VAC, stuff like some Relay-Bank resetted by coils actuated by 110 VAC" ?
- DOES the "Strange World schematics" shows "an High-Tap-Lug on the 25 VAC-Side" ?

Depending on Your answers: My "Gottlieb Orbit" has an "Transformer B-10932" for 110VAC / 220 VAC most likely for "50 to 60 Hertz" - it has the possibility to have it run by 220 VAC - BUT grab 110 VAC for "(huge) Control-Bank Reset-Coil" --- and it has an "High-Tap-Solder-Lug" to make the playing "more lively" --- what do You really NEED, greetings Rolf

P.S.: In Switzerland we used to have 220VAC with 50 Hertz - nowaddays it is rather 230VAC with 50 Hertz.

#11 3 years ago

the standard is 230V 50Hz here rolf but it usually runs a bit hot and is widely called '240v'

#12 3 years ago

I just lifted the hood on my re-imported Far Out and noticed a B-8091. I dont ever envision sending this back overseas any time soon. How desperate are you? (Dallas Texas) ie I could swap it out for a regular transformer spare I have.

20161109_214111_resized (resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

PM coming your way!

#14 3 years ago

Strange World will live again, heart transplant in the works.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Strange World will live again, heart transplant in the works.

he is VERY lucky to find that. they are rare state side. not sure how hard to find elsewhere.
i only had 1 in 20 yrs. and that was in a parts machine

#16 3 years ago

Ive got an OuterSpace 2p parts machine, Im guessing its a suitable replacement for the transfomer in my FO?

Or I have a DropACard bottom board parts... same transformer used between single player and multiplayer?

#17 3 years ago

far out and outer space should have the same xformer

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

he is VERY lucky to find that. they are rare state side. not sure how hard to find elsewhere.
i only had 1 in 20 yrs. and that was in a parts machine

Agreed! Mr pinhead52 is indeed one of the good guys! Strange World will indeed live again!!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Ive got an OuterSpace 2p parts machine, Im guessing its a suitable replacement for the transfomer in my FO?
Or I have a DropACard bottom board parts... same transformer used between single player and multiplayer?

i often use the (physically) larger one from a 4 player game to replace the small single player one. works fine just doesnt sit on the same bolts.

#20 3 years ago

yea this is a 2p to a 4p, should be fine. the 230v xformer is a beast! Pocketscience will pick it up and hand carry home from LA. Cant wait to see how well it goes thru xray

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

yea this is a 2p to a 4p, should be fine. the 230v xformer is a beast! Pocketscience will pick it up and hand carry home from LA. Cant wait to see how well it goes thru xray

I've taken weirder things through x-ray over the years... 3D printers, playfields and backglasses come to mind..

#22 3 years ago

You're very lucky to have another matched transformer....
If I were you, I would tie up the Jones plug with cable ties or have 110v wires capped for safely.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Shiny_balls:

You're very lucky to have another matched transformer....
If I were you, I would tie up the Jones plug with cable ties or have 110v wires capped for safely.

I will probably just remove all the extra stuff and just "convert" to NA 115v

1 week later
#24 3 years ago

Ok here's the before I yank the 8091

20161120_102436_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago

And then after. Replaced with an Outerspace transformer. 8091 was slightly larger but Gottlieb gave me the extra holes for the smaller transformer. Outerspace had a 5v tap that FarOut doesnt use.

I left the jumper block in place because the wires would be too short otherwise, Did remove the extra blue wires that would be just hanging loose.

Did power it up without any of the Jones plugs inserted and verified the voltages, all good. Plays just fine.

Now to box up the 8091 for shipment

20161120_103845_resized_1 (resized).jpg

20161120_111407_resized_1 (resized).jpg

#26 3 years ago

Hi pinhead52
in post-12 You write "... my re-imported Far Out ... B-8091" --- I wonder "HOW / WHY" Your Far Out had to travel this long distance --- nor "Far Out s" around in the USA ?

In post-24, picture I see "blue wires and an Adjustment plug" - a better view is post-25, second JPG --- we had an discussion - I show the two ways this adjustment plug can be used - "110 VAC the two primary windings mounted 'parallel' " - "220 VAC the two primary windings mounted 'in series' ": https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-dodge-city-doingjust-weird-stuff#post-3304560 . Greetings Rolf

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

Hi pinhead52
in post-12 You write "... my re-imported Far Out ... B-8091" --- I wonder "HOW / WHY" Your Far Out had to travel this long distance --- nor "Far Out s" around in the USA ?
In post-24, picture I see "blue wires and an Adjustment plug" - a better view is post-25, second JPG --- we had an discussion - I show the two ways this adjustment plug can be used - "110 VAC the two primary windings mounted 'parallel' " - "220 VAC the two primary windings mounted 'in series' ": https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-dodge-city-doingjust-weird-stuff#post-3304560 . Greetings Rolf

Yes the FO went to France and back, I actually found a Franc in it and mounted it on the apron. I picked it up off of ebay (Houston) and put a NOS pf it it and its a very sweet game.

But yea did see the wiring and made the appropriate connections for a standard transformer thus freeing up the 8091 to ship down under to a game that needs the 240 volt primary.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Yes the FO went to France and back, I actually frond a Franc in it and mounted it on the apron. I picked it up off of ebay (Houston) and put a NOS pf it it and its a very sweet game.
But yea did see the wiring and made the appropriate connections for a standard transformer thus freeing up the 8091 to ship down under to a game that needs the 240 volt primary.

Such interesting travels for the Far Out, and very nice of you to provide a solution with the transformer swap, Ken!

#29 3 years ago

What a class act by Ken. Great "teamwork"! I'm a picky SOB and love all original parts so I admittedly can't say I would do the same, so kudos to him!

#30 3 years ago

Legend. Massive massive thank you to Ken!!

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

What a class act by Ken. Great "teamwork"! I'm a picky SOB and love all original parts so I admittedly can't say I would do the same, so kudos to him!

Hey GTB even provided the alt mounting holes. So its not much of a deviation.

2 weeks later
#32 3 years ago

I've received the B-8091 transformer Ken removed from his FarOut. I'm currently in CA, and will be flying back home to Sydney to complete the second half of the transplant surgery over the weekend!

4 months later
#33 3 years ago

I never did follow up on this... the transformer from Ken is working flawlessly in my Strange World. However, it wasn't the end of the problems that I think went to cause the transformer to let go in the way it did. Two of the pop bumper coils were a mess - like the coil sleeves were melted, jamming them completely! I think one of the pop bumper switches got stuck on, and whoever was playing the game didn't realise (combo of newbie, party noise, etc) and the coils jammed on and went into meltdown, which subsequently caused the transformer to bail. All without blowing a fuse. After replacing all the coils, sleeves, stops, etc and fixing up the switches everything now plays perfectly. Thanks again Ken!

#34 3 years ago

Glad I could help...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 21.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 189.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Arizona Pinball
$ 229.99
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00
$ 7.00
Electronics
APB Enterprises
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 135.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Lit Frames
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Apparel - Men
Great American Pinball
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside