3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 58 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by rai
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

What other games are like Iron Man? By that I mean short games, but solid rules, one more game factor, adrenaline rush and fast gameplay?

#4 3 years ago

I always seemed to have longer ball times with Metallica....but it is an awesome game and does have many of those qualities mentioned above now that I think of it.

I also thought of Avatar. Similar rule set and very hard. I do wish it had one more ramp though. Imo not as fun as Iron Man, but still pretty good.

#5 3 years ago

Tron and TWD can both be short ball time games. Outlanes seem to be hungry on both.

#6 3 years ago

BBH
KISS

#7 3 years ago

i can vouch for TWD and short ball times. LOL. Right next to our IM:VE is TWD:Premium, and we bounce back and forth between them all night long on pinball nights.

#8 3 years ago

sorry. didn't mean to hit the button twice.

#9 3 years ago

And another vote for BSD. Nasty, short, and buckets of fun. 10 crap games followed by... Crap, 10 more crap games. But when you make it sing, it is amazing.

#10 3 years ago

avatar for sure, if you like iron man, you surely will love avatar.

#13 3 years ago

F14. Kicks my but fast brutal games leaving me to keep hitting start button for one more game.

#14 3 years ago

If Pre-DMD games enter the fold, Flash Gordon. In 5 minutes you can get in 7 games. Keep hitting that start button

#15 3 years ago

Seems I have my shortest games are on Metalica,TWD, Tron, and a lot of times on Avatar.

I think my favorite long play game has to be Monopoly. Seems I can get on a roll with that one.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

I always seemed to have longer ball times with Metallica

So do I. Out of the three Stern that I own, the ball times are MET > TRON > IM.

#18 3 years ago

I haven't owned a Tron, but from my experience...I would agree with Herg

#19 3 years ago

Big Buck Hunter is nearly as brutal as Iron Man, has really good code too...under appreciated fun game.

#20 3 years ago
#22 3 years ago

In addition to F-14 and TWD, AMH.

Also lots of classics like Paragon and Harlem Globetrotters.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Big Buck Hunter is nearly as brutal as Iron Man, has really good code too...under appreciated fun game.

I second that vote. Love that game, but it can be brutal.......

#25 3 years ago

ACDC pro all the way. It is faster than IM I dare say.

#26 3 years ago

Viper Night Drivin' with glo-balls and adjustment set for steel balls.

#27 3 years ago

The closest to IM are BSD and Avatar.

Next level are Tron, BBH and GOT (GOT has the speed and adrenaline rush of IM but not the sheer brutality).

TWD has some of IM's brutality but not it's speed.

Metallica like IM?.....No. To me they are nothing alike.

#29 3 years ago

One that's not been mentioned yet - Doctor Who.

The absolute closest you'll get is going to be Avatar or Austin Powers.

#30 3 years ago

IMO, Avatar is way harder than IM in that is seems more rare to get a good game going and of course all your hard work is lost when you loose your ball. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm having fun with Avatar or just getting pissed off.

#31 3 years ago

Im reminds me alot of taxi actually, the way it resets every ball, very fast as well

#32 3 years ago

CFTBL. Short ball times. Super jackpot very hard to achieve.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

CFTBL. Short ball times. Super jackpot very hard to achieve.

Ha...Creech is anything but short ball times. You have to sit through animations everywhere you hit the ball, or go through pops. The MB plays like normal IM gameplay though

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

but solid rules, one more game factor, adrenaline rush and fast gameplay?

Honestly the more I look at that sentence the more I lean towards GOT. You don't ask about IM's brutality.....just good rules, "one more game" factor, and FAST/Adrenaline......GOT is all of that in SPADES.

#35 3 years ago

Every other modern Stern game....?

I would add to the list of people that posted BSD. I have been to the ER after playing that game some nights. Sold mine, and still regret it. Guess I'm a glutton for abuse and punishment. "Welcome to my home...", and he means his home.

And actually, some pinners are a fan and some are not, but if you want to back it up a few years....my BH kicks my ass on a regular basis. Game play does get fast once you're in the groove and get it moving; simplistic yet solid and hard to achieve rule set; and near impossible to get multiball. Once you do get it, hard to maintain on both PF levels. I don't think I've ever...ever...walked up to my BH and only played one game. It's a 3-game minimum, even set on 5 balls.

#36 3 years ago

Austin Powers = almost exact same layout as IM

I could not make the comparison of IM to Got or TWD. Just way not the same!

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Every other modern Stern game....?

That would be fair.....if you had ever owned even a couple modern Sterns..... and you've owned 62 pinball machines (but zero modern Sterns).

I'm not saying you're biased.......well yeah, I guess I am.

#38 3 years ago

BSD, Avatar, & BBH for sure. I've only played 1 game on GOT, but it sure seemed fast & fun!
A pin that has not been mentioned: Indy 500
Indy 500 makes IM look like long ball times, & is a pure Blast to play! So fast, fun, & hard to master. It's just a great Pinball game!

#39 3 years ago

Johnny Mnemonic. Fast, good flow and Yakuza mode is similar to Bogey. Great games.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I'm not saying you're biased.......well yeah, I guess I am.

Holy crap!!!! You have to own games to know what they play like? I never knew that...I guess going to numerous shows over the years, partnering in a repair shop and having all my friends with their endless Stern line-ups has served absolutely no purpose. What a tremendous waste of my time all of that has been! I should be ashamed of myself for even mentioning modern Sterns without currently "owning" one.

In all reality...I have a shop with an IM, Avengers, TWD, WPT, WOZ, AC/DC Luci and several other modern games that are new, or that we refurb, mod, fix and sell. Even have what is now a mint MB, and I'd rather play the SS in the shop any day of the week (realize MB is Williams, to save you the comment). Several games rotate through there regularly, they are just not in my personal collection at home. Some of those games have been there for months because we don't want to see them go after all the work, and I have played endless games on them, as well as hundreds of games on other newer Sterns. Excellent way to gauge what I like before I would spend $4500 to $7500 of my own on a game. I am contemplating a new Marvel SM, but IMO I'm not real happy with the PF artwork they chose.

That being said, I do like WPT, TWD and AC/DC a lot, so perhaps my comment was a bit overzealous. Duly noted. To each their own. Aside from the audio, I have just as much fun playing my 1979 Stern Dracula as I do playing IM.

#41 3 years ago

lol.....I was just jerking your chain, relax. Besides I never said you weren't familiar with modern Sterns.....just that you are biased against them.

#42 3 years ago

Attack from mars

#43 3 years ago

Another vote for I500

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha...Creech is anything but short ball times. You have to sit through animations everywhere you hit the ball, or go through pops. The MB plays like normal IM gameplay though

Oh, I don't know. May not be as brutal as IM or F14, but compared to all the dmd's I have owned, Creech is on the shorter end of the range.

Maybe it is how I have it set up, but you may have a point since the longest game on IM or F14 didn't come close to that on Creech.

I put a powerball in my F14. You want short ball times, hit Yagov and with the midfield green flashers going off, you cannot see the ball! Especially in a dark room on a restored and cleared playfield.

#45 3 years ago

Lots of great games mentioned here. I have never played big buck hunter! I never even thought of that one!

#46 3 years ago

BBH for sure. Put a ceramic powerball in there to mix it up as well. Bloody good fun.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Viper Night Drivin' with glo-balls and adjustment set for steel balls.

I'm impressed someone mentioned it before me

I love super tough games. IM is my favorite game ever made because of it's brutality. Other games I find that if you set them up correctly can be made to play nearly as brutally are:

BSD (as mentioned by many)
Tron (also mentioned by many)
VND (it's *faster* than IM with the settings above. Loses a half point for the middle ramp being super easy to hit, although it is also worth nothing in points so it's not a problem)
Airborne (the center ramps / targets return the ball awful fast and mean, and the ramps are tough to hit properly without the ball coming back at you)

Metallica is a little slower, although it's a heck of a lot of fun. It also has more safe shots than the above. Popeye can also be set up to be pretty brutal, but when you get it to the upper playfield it slows down. Oh, and a lot of people HATE it.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

Oh, I don't know. May not be as brutal as IM or F14, but compared to all the dmd's I have owned, Creech is on the shorter end of the range.
Maybe it is how I have it set up, but you may have a point since the longest game on IM or F14 didn't come close to that on Creech.
I put a powerball in my F14. You want short ball times, hit Yagov and with the midfield green flashers going off, you cannot see the ball! Especially in a dark room on a restored and cleared playfield.

I will agree my cftbl is lighting fast and if you miss a shot then say goodbye. . The out lanes and enormous gap between the flippers just eat up missed shots lol.

#49 3 years ago

TRON ....another brutal game.....deeper rule set, but a quick beatdown awaits ( generally)...

#50 3 years ago

The pins cited above are good surrogates but (IMHO) none of them are truly like IM. May be BSD or ACDC, but there are both lacking a bash toy very close to the flippers.
I was lucking enough to have IM in my house for 2 months as a loan. If I had to summarize my feeling, fast and brutal come first, as noted, followed by very addictive music and call outs, and a great bash toy. Extremely addictive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 19.95
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside