Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15952914141918144615795656632357 (resized).jpg
20200719_064345 (resized).jpg
20200716_194541 (resized).jpg
20200714_181215 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I see lots of posts on how to fix specific things, but not on what order things should be done. I just acquired an AFM with a newly wrapped cabinet, but “well loved” playfield. I am more than comfortable doing a little playfield touchup, but this will be the most I’ve ever had to do on one machine and I’d like to do a nice job. I’m not looking to do a full teardown of the machine and clearcoat. Luckily, 95% of what the machine needs is in this one picture. Please let me know if any of 5bis is out of order. This area needs the following.

A. Play the crap out of the game before messing with the area

B. Remove insert jewels and sand down tops smooth.

C. Apply some sort of filler to raise playfield here to slightly below level of surrounding paint.

D. Re-insert removed insert jewels.

E. Apply polish/rust remover to metal scoop hardware.

F. Add filler/putty to scoop area.

G. Apply touch up paint to area around scoop.

H. Paint area around inserts

I. Apply water-slide decals to inserts.

J. Apply shaped mylar to area around smooth.

K. Apply Cliffy.

L. Play the crap out of it.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

20200714_181215 (resized).jpg20200714_181215 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

... but not on what order things should be done.

A. Play the crap out of the game before messing with the area
B. Remove insert jewels and sand down tops smooth.
C. Apply some sort of filler to raise playfield here to slightly below level of surrounding paint.
D. Re-insert removed insert jewels.
E. Apply polish/rust remover to metal scoop hardware.
F. Add filler/putty to scoop area.
G. Apply touch up paint to area around scoop.
H. Paint area around inserts
I. Apply water-slide decals to inserts.
J. Apply shaped mylar to area around smooth.
K. Apply Cliffy.
L. Play the crap out of it.
Z. BUY A NEW REPRODUCTION PLAYFIELD.

Based on the picture, I would pick option Z.

#3 3 years ago

Is there an option to buy a new playfield and just do the swap? Seems like a lot of work to still have a lot of work left to do.

#4 3 years ago

Yeah I’d consider a playfield swap. This title isn’t difficult and probably more trouble and time to repair yourself.

Unless you want the experience to repair yours than I follow you.

#5 3 years ago

Ordered some waterside decals. Not close to ready to put them on yet but I'm going to give it the college try before resorting to the playfield swap. Gotta fix colors.20200716_194541 (resized).jpg20200716_194541 (resized).jpgCant hurt to try.

#7 3 years ago

Best thread ever with tons of info, but not on the order of repair. If I am touching up next to inserts do I re-decal or touch up first. I am going with touch up first for now.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Best thread ever with tons of info, but not on the order of repair. If I am touching up next to inserts do I re-decal or touch up first. I am going with touch up first for now.

Yeah one of the things that really gets my goose about a lot of the vid's guides is people never let him just do his thing. The MOMENT people see a Vid's Guide everybody starts bombarding him with questions and everything gets out of order. Just let the man talk for Christ's sake!

From the way I've been able to distill the info:
Fix/replace inserts as needed
Raise/flatten inserts with clear
Lay down some clear
Waterslide decals
Layer of clear
Paint Touchups
Clear clear clear clear
Obligate sanding between steps (although the sanding process is also kind of hidden in the vid's guide playfield thread).

I'm still in the prep stages of my first playfield restoration, so don't take my comment as gospel. Would obviously love for someone to correct me so I can learn something too.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Yeah one of the things that really gets my goose about a lot of the vid's guides is people never let him just do his thing. The MOMENT people see a Vid's Guide everybody starts bombarding him with questions and everything gets out of order. Just let the man talk for Christ's sake!
From the way I've been able to distill the info:
Fix/replace inserts as needed
Raise/flatten inserts with clear
Lay down some clear
Waterslide decals
Layer of clear
Paint Touchups
Clear clear clear clear
Obligate sanding between steps (although the sanding process is also kind of hidden in the vid's guide playfield thread).
I'm still in the prep stages of my first playfield restoration, so don't take my comment as gospel. Would obviously love for someone to correct me so I can learn something too.

We needed a "Vid's guide to letting Vid Build his Guide"

I like your list although I typically paint before the waterslides go down just to paint up to and under where keylines would lay, and let the decals cover where paint edges join. 6 to 1 half dozen to the other.

#10 3 years ago

Colors seem pretty close on 9th attempt. Have new inserts on the way. Then mylar on top. Then wood filler, then cliffy. Not perfect, but I am leaning from the playfield swap.20200719_064345 (resized).jpg20200719_064345 (resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

Decals under mylar now. Before and after. Not as good as a new playfield, but way better than it was. Am going to do this to the 3 bank then leave all else alone with inserts. Pretty happy.

15952914141918144615795656632357 (resized).jpg15952914141918144615795656632357 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

16,500 (OBO)
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-order-to-restore-playfield?hl=ss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.