(Topic ID: 228351)

What old movies should have a new pinball title?

By Bublehead

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gi-joe-the-cartoon-movie-storm-shadow-destro-the-baroness-tomax-major-bludd-cobr (resized).jpg
    gone-in-60-seconds-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(1).jpg.cf (resized).jpg
    1978---crippled-avengers.jpg_1384968217.cf (resized).jpg
    Time Bandits (resized).jpg
    young_guns (resized).png
    91D0F38A-7589-4578-9EB4-40A661050065 (resized).jpeg
    B1201AA9-E1F8-4DC7-9A12-FFA25D6FE423 (resized).jpeg
    003274R1.jpg
    dreamscapeposter. (resized).jpg
    21E2918B-F6D5-46C9-9FAA-164FDBAE0C8F (resized).jpeg
    FRIGHTENSTEIN_new_11_x_14 (resized).jpg
    thelma_louise (resized).jpg
    1C761C60-AC05-404D-9E54-817D6F7ACCFF (resized).jpeg
    D8814B8F-4365-4F06-AAC6-C9ADF34FF5B5 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    twok-header (resized).jpg

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I am curious what older movies pinheads think were interesting enough to deserve a modern pinball machine title?

!!! Trigger warning !!!

VVV Do not look below this line if you hate reading or words make your head or butt hurt VVV
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Like say John Carpenter’s The Thing with Kurt Russel? A playfield toy that “morphs” from one “thing” to another... and then simple drop banks and 3 bank stand ups, some ramps, bunch of bells and whistles, and a magnet thrown in for no good purpose. Blood Test Multiball... shoot lock 1, sizzle... shoot lock two, sizzle... shoot lock three... and all hell breaks loose... “You gotta be fuggin kidding me!!!”

I could see Stern churning out an “Oldies but Goodies” line of limited use pins, all the same layout and basic rules, but each with a single specific movie based toy, and then just grab callouts from the films, capture some screenshots and clips from the film, secure the licensing rights and pump out 200 games. You would get die hard fans (and Die Hard fans if Bruce Willis is in it) lining up for a machine. Now all you need is a rule cribbing intern flunky to translate the existing ruleset to each title, a couple of Art department interns to photoshop hack the art package, and use the music score from the movies for the soundtrack, and fill in music from Debbie in Soldering’s nephew’s dubstepping 3 piece power trio. Total investment is minimal and maybe we get a title or two we like to play? (Or wait, is this Stern’s real business model? Yikes!) Or they could throw a little money at it and make it a decent machine. I’d play the knockoff on location at least once. The more $$$ one, maybe twice? Maybe more if it was any good

#2 5 years ago

Forbidden Planet

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

I could see Stern churning out an “Oldies but Goodies” line

Here's one they haven't got to yet.
    51B2N98J4AL._SY445_ (resized).jpg51B2N98J4AL._SY445_ (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

Big Trouble in Little China!!! Make it happen please!!!
    also Willow and Goonies come to mind.

#5 5 years ago
    511BJKCB1TL (resized).jpg511BJKCB1TL (resized).jpg
    #6 5 years ago

Escape From New York

#7 5 years ago

Alien.

I actually started working on designing a Last Starfighter themed virtual pin at one time, but it was beyond my abilities. I think there'd be some real cool possibilities with that one, but probably not well known enough.

#8 5 years ago

War of the Worlds

#9 5 years ago

Tremors

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from V4Vendetta:

Big Trouble in Little China!!! Make it happen please!!!
    also Willow and Goonies come to mind.

+1!

#11 5 years ago

This is great! Keep them coming.

All of these are good material.

BTILC... that would be an instant cult classic pin.

the war movies... too many good ones to name just one but that is a great one.

We have an arcade here in Az called Last Starfighter... and yes it has a lot of pinball! (And video)

Snake Pliskin?, I heard he was dead!

Forbidden Planet... Someone ought to build a tribute machine using an Attack from Mars as the basis of a FP machine. This would make a great pin.

Willow... maybe... but goonies is a no brainer.

#12 5 years ago

Blade Runner

#13 5 years ago

2001: A Space Odyssey

#14 5 years ago

Pull out Harry, you’ve hit an artery! Wow, lot of good ideas here. Some themes are coalescing... Sci Fi... Action/War... Fantasy... Cult classics... how long till someone mentions Rocky Horror Picture Show?

#15 5 years ago

"Christine" your ball would be the car and you have to go around killing Arnie's bullies and the such

#16 5 years ago

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg

dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-1920-43 (resized).jpgdr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-1920-43 (resized).jpg

#17 5 years ago

Or Little Shop of Horrors?

Or Tank Girl?

Now that is fringe right there...

#18 5 years ago

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

freaksdinnerscene-e1426726200500 (resized).jpgfreaksdinnerscene-e1426726200500 (resized).jpg
    #19 5 years ago

Anyone for a Frank Herbert machine? Dune... Dune Messiah, Children of the Corn of Dune, Dune II, III, IV etc... etc...

H.G. Wells machine? 20k leagues undah da sea (la la la la la) undah the sea ( la la la la la) or a Time Machine machine?

Arthur C. Clarke? Rendezvous with Pinball?

#20 5 years ago

I knew Freaks would show up, it always does in pinball theme discussions.

#21 5 years ago

First Blood (Rambo series)

#22 5 years ago

Pinsiders in general seem to be big Disney fans.

1_IlR0NFqOY_EbyHZ2LKErPw (resized).jpeg1_IlR0NFqOY_EbyHZ2LKErPw (resized).jpeg
    #23 5 years ago

All these great ideas... every time a new title is mentioned, your mind can almost instantly picture a playfield and toys and artwork... callouts, animations, ball interactions... If it were just easier to throw one of these things together.

#24 5 years ago

Thanks o-din... way to open up that Disney vault... Disney’s SOTS- Vault Edition.

#25 5 years ago

1978 (original) Halloween

The Warriors

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

1968 (original) The Planet of the Apes

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

1974 (original) The Planet of the Apes

That would be great!

Although I prefer the 1968 version myself.

planet_apes1968 (resized).jpgplanet_apes1968 (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

I want to make A Clockwork Orange homebrew eventually

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

hat would be great!

Although I prefer the 1968 version myself.

Duh, wow talk about a brain fart. Yes the 1968 version not 1974 misprint version LOL

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

Yes the 1968 version not 1974 misprint version LOL

To be fair, the TV series came out in 1974 and although not quite the standards of the movie, it was better than a lot of the crap that was on at the time.

After watching one of the original Battlestar Galacticas the other night which I never watched when it was originally on because it sucked back then as much as it does now, The Apes TV series wasn't half bad.

#30 5 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#31 5 years ago

Here is another of my favorites. . . still have a VHS stashed in a box somewhere (but gave away my VCR long ago. . . )

#32 5 years ago

Canonball Run. Race from sea to shining sea...

#33 5 years ago

+++237 for Blues Brothers

#34 5 years ago

And yes my little Droogies, I could go for a little of the old in and out... Burger.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

Canonball Run. Race from sea to shining sea...

This one always seems to come up, but I'd go with the original 1976 "Gumball Rally' over that one.

Or better yet "Death Race 2000" from 1975.

One thing's for sure, the 70s have been way overlooked in today's pinball marketing.
    91c4a81d84b8799d56ead40785afafe2 (resized).jpg91c4a81d84b8799d56ead40785afafe2 (resized).jpg

#36 5 years ago

Fast times at Ridgemont High, It, Animal House, Mad Max, Up in Smoke, Mad Magazine theme, Vegas Vacation, Dusk til Dawn.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Here's one they haven't got to yet.

Sticking to the Western Theme:

#38 5 years ago

Honestly it is very surprising that RHPS hasn't ever been done.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This one always seems to come up, but I'd go with the original 1976 "Gumball Rally' over that one.

That would be my second choice. “And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving. What's-a behind me is not important.”.

#40 5 years ago

This is my expression every time I realize there is no Die Hard pin.

Does no one like Christmas movies anymore?!

E201D372-5AEF-43B2-8BB2-81002295F3E2 (resized).jpegE201D372-5AEF-43B2-8BB2-81002295F3E2 (resized).jpeg
    #41 5 years ago

The Blob!

I have some thoughts on how to put a moving Blob in a game that swallows the balls, and progresses
    down the playfield!

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from Niterider:

That would be my second choice. “First rule of Italian racing, if it’s behind you-it doesn’t matter”.

First choice for me because it was first

"For those of you who do, there'll be no glory, no headlines. But... just a few magic hours flat out against the red line, with no catalytic converter and no 55 mile-an-hour speed limit."

#43 5 years ago

The Beatles Help. Need it asap

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #44 5 years ago

I thought for sure O-Din started this thread.

#45 5 years ago

Why has no one made Princess Bride? So much you could do with that. I could hear vincini callouts "THE CLIFFS OF INSANITY!".

#46 5 years ago

Vanishing Point. 1971 Version.

LTG : )

#47 5 years ago

Championship pub: Rocky addition. Just imagine the call outs.

#48 5 years ago

How bout Mary Poppins for all the twinkees?

#49 5 years ago

Forgive me O-din, I had to fix that first quote.

I didn’t get to see the Gumball Rally till after I had already watched the Cannonball Run. Both movies had their moments.

“Fifty-five is fast enough to kill you, but slow enough to make you think you're safe.”

I’d like to add another movie, Maximum Overdrive. Simple concept: The longer you play, they more the machine would try to drain your ball. Throw in the AC/DC soundtrack and have Emilio Estevez do the callouts.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from WyseGuy:

I thought for sure O-Din started this thread.

Next one I'm going to start will be strictly having to do with themes from the 1970s,

the greatest decade since the 1990s.

There are 147 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-old-movies-should-have-a-new-pinball-title?hl=monte_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.