New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 151765)

What not to do with your soldering iron - FUNNY as heck!

By vdojaq

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#2 4 years ago

Reminds me of someone well known in pinball. That would sniff the tip of a soldering iron to see if it was hot. And not once, but twice shoved the tip up his nostril.

If the same person sees this, and wants to remain anonymous. I'm sure it could be arranged $$$$.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Wow. I laughed very hard at almost all of that. The guy seems like he chose the wrong field to work in.

#4 4 years ago

Not the first time I've seen it but it's ALWAYS funny. It's get the feeling it's all staged though, he couldn't possibly be that inept and still be alive.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Not the first time I've seen it but it's ALWAYS funny. It's get the feeling it's all staged though, he couldn't possibly be that inept and still be alive.

I don't know, but IF it is staged, his reactions are certainly real. I can't see the soldering iron to the nose and then burning the pants staged. Could be?

#6 4 years ago

Obviously staged, but you are forced to watch the whole thing.

#7 4 years ago

He is very informative. If you are looking for what not to do.

#t=55.9718099

#8 4 years ago

Staged or not, I laughed my ass off!!!

#9 4 years ago

Awesome!

#10 4 years ago

Very high voltage equals low current which does not kill but still hurts like heck. Those ignition coil zaps had to hurt like a mother!

The caps exploding where fairly tiny and newer. Try plugging an older larger 10kuF cap into end of extension cord outside and see what happens. More like an M80.

Wire frying, soldering burns shooting solenoid projectiles. Alll shown in fun by a trained dumb ass (professional). Glad it was not me. All pretty funny but all real examples of how fast electronic mishaps do and can happen.

Stay safe my friends.

#11 4 years ago

I've done all that shit, too.

Like a clown on fire, it's kind of funny, and kind of sad.

#12 4 years ago

some folks will do anything for money!... Jerry Lewis...Stan Laural...the whole jackass crew...

#13 4 years ago

I am STILL laughing my ass off!! I can relate! Not to this degree, but still.

#14 4 years ago

That was halarious!

#15 4 years ago

2:48 brings it right back to pinball!
    What not to do with your solenoids!

#16 4 years ago

He reminds me of a guy, I knew when I was a kid. His dad cut down trees for a living. He always seem to cut the limb off he was standing on. Surprised he didn't kill himself.

#17 4 years ago

Zapping yourself, standing up quick and slamming your head (usually under playfield), then yelling at the wife you are ok. OHHH Man been there sooo many times.

#18 4 years ago

Soldering iron Rule #1: If you drop it, let it fall.

Worked with a technician once who tried to catch his dropped soldering iron. He somehow managed to grab the cord and flip the tip of the iron right into his nostril. Ouch! He wore that badge of stupidity (burn going from his left nostril down to his lip) for a while.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

If you drop it, let it fall.

+1 but I may add, step back.

I let an X-Acto blade fall once and did not observe that last part. Right through the sneaker and into the side of my big toe. Still have the scar.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Soldering iron Rule #1: If you drop it, let it fall.
    Worked with a technician once who tried to catch his dropped soldering iron. He somehow managed to grab the cord and flip the tip of the iron right into his nostril. Ouch! He wore that badge of stupidity (burn going from his left nostril down to his lip) for a while.

I was doing some creating soldering inside a game and had an iron fell on face. that burn took forever to heal.

#21 4 years ago

How is this guy still alive? I know I laughed long and hard, but seriously this is a dangerously informative video. So, does this guy have a real YouTube channel where he tries to give you tips?

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from Letter_K:

How is this guy still alive? I know I laughed long and hard, but seriously this is a dangerously informative video. So, does this guy have a real YouTube channel where he tries to give you tips?

My understanding is that he's a professor and knows exactly what he's doing.....even though it's still gotta hurt! They are basically "What not to do" videos when dealing with electricity.

#23 4 years ago

Ah, so he's seriously showing us what would happen? My hat is off.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from henrydwh:

Staged or not, I laughed my ass off!!!

I thought it was staged at first but now I'm not so sure.

Either way, I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes!

#25 4 years ago

I think some of the things were staged. For one, when he put his fingers in the light socket resulting in sparks flying and the power shutting off. In reality, I think he would just get a jolt and pull his hand back.

#26 4 years ago

Its staged. This guy has been around for a long time. Its his shtick. The pain in real however.

#27 4 years ago

Hardest I've laughed in a while. Had to pause it at one point for a minute just to let the belly laugh subside.

#28 4 years ago

I dripped hot solder on my own forehead last week while attaching a loose wire to a coil.

15 years in pinball and I'm shocked at the new ways I still find to do something stupid.

#29 4 years ago

Most of it looks staged...probably is. I was still laughing my ass off the entire time.

#30 4 years ago

Follow the click to his channel.

He does some really cool stuff and instead of 'saying' "Do not cross polarity" or "Use the right gauge wire" he instead does what he should not do. Watch his rail gun coil vid, lucky he didn't shoot his nads off.

#31 4 years ago

ISIS kicked this guy out of the Bomb Making Department at Raqqa World Headquarters, so he's trying out comedy to support his wives and his camel.

#32 4 years ago

It's all staged. It gets annoying if you see all of his fails on a compilation. He's actually a very good electrician.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Try plugging an older larger 10kuF cap into end of extension cord outside and see what happens. More like an M80.

I have this issue with gophers. Are you telling me that if I smear some Peter Pan on a 10kuF cap and attach it into an extension cord that I could just sit on my patio and plug it in after the first lick? Seems a lot easier than traps.

#34 4 years ago

For anyone with a 'stash...

and

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

I have this issue with gophers.

Absolutely!! Make sure to take a video.
    You should probably ask Mr mustche for the correct uF needed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 39.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 85.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Loop Combo Pinball
    $ 99.00
    $ 19.99
    $ 11.95
    $ 199.99
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside