View topic image gallery

image8_(resized).JPG
image7_(resized).JPG
image6_(resized).JPG
image5_(resized).JPG
image4_(resized).JPG
image2_copy_(resized).JPG
image1_copy_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tommy-player.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Lets just call this a cautionary tale to newbies. Spent a lot of hours reading inside forum advice on various issues that have helped me immensely. Tackled a Bally playboy that had a beat up cabinet but watched the videos from Jeff at PinballPimp and it turned out great (many thanks Jeff!)

Just got a bally strikes and spares that had lots of wear on the play field. Not up to a full playfield swap so thought I would try touching this one up. After reading virtually ever post on techniques to use I took a shot.

As the title suggests, maybe I should have read a bit more. Searched everywhere to get recommendations on "out of the bottle" colors but everyone suggested I try mixing. Not being an art major my amateur attempts at acrylic color matching didn't exactly match. The color difference was made even more noticeable when I had the bright idea to clear coat the PF (obviously another poor decision on my part)

I did try several paint pens by craftsmart that I got from hobbylobby and found the yellow and black were perfect color matches . The red was close but allowed me to trace all the small red letters so they looked good.

Again, should have read the part where someone said "don't use polyurethane clear coat" as it reacts with certain touchups. Including the perfectly drawn black lines that bled EVERYWHERE. Looked like my wife's mascara on our wedding day!

Needless to say these are just rookie mistakes. Going to sand it backdown to bare wood and start over. Did I mention that I'm looking for a PF overlay?

image1_copy_(resized).JPGimage1_copy_(resized).JPG

image2_copy_(resized).JPGimage2_copy_(resized).JPG

image4_(resized).JPGimage4_(resized).JPG

image5_(resized).JPGimage5_(resized).JPG

image6_(resized).JPGimage6_(resized).JPG

image7_(resized).JPGimage7_(resized).JPG

image8_(resized).JPGimage8_(resized).JPG

#6 7 years ago

fantasygoat, I am looking for an overlay but can't find one anywhere. Hoping someone takes pity on the newb and locate one for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 69.00
Electronics
Pinball Haus
Electronics
$ 45.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
1,350 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Delaware, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Tommy-player.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-not-to-do-on-pf-touchups-aka-should-have-listened?tu=Tommy-player and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.