image-32.jpg
image-72.jpg
image-244.jpg
image-942.jpg
image-776.jpg
image-589.jpg
Gators.jpg
#1 9 years ago

So, this is my first time sending a lot of parts out to be chromed, at least more than the traditional lockbar, legs, and wireforms. Is there a general rule of thumb for things that should NOT be chromed? For example, PinballMikeD had his Fathom ball guides chromed which I thought looked really sharp, but would it be okay on a WPC game? Ive also seen ramps on games like the Shadow look amazing chromed but would it be awkward to chrome a very visable scoop? Just curious what the community thought, thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I'd personally say anything that wasn't chromed from the factory But I think I'm in the minority!

#3 9 years ago

Avoid the plastics

#4 9 years ago

The Ball

#5 9 years ago

Really though, it comes down to taste. Make it yours and have fun!

#6 9 years ago

I know somebody who chromed everything above and below the playfield in his CV

Your machine, do what you like

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I'd personally say anything that wasn't chromed from the factory But I think I'm in the minority!

Totally agree. Would put black powdercoat on instead of chrome even on items that came chrome from the factory.

#8 9 years ago

Life is too short to skimp on the bling

Make it rain!

#9 9 years ago

Please don't chrome or powder coat the coin door. The only coin door mod worth doing is the custom door for scared stiff.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinmeister:

Please don't chrome or powder coat the coin door. The only coin door mod worth doing is the custom door for Scared Stiff.

Pinmeister, I saw this mod once many years ago and recently have been looking to purchase it with no luck. Any idea where to locate it?
Thanks.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Multiball1:

Pinmeister, I saw this mod once many years ago and recently have been looking to purchase it with no luck. Any idea where to locate it?
Thanks.

Pinball Wizard:

http://www.pinballwizzard.com/parts/scaredstparts/ssccd.htm

$$$$$

Not an exact color match.

#12 9 years ago

Let me just say, I love pinside when a thread is straight drama free advice

Quoted from johnwartjr:

Quoted from John_I:

Totally agree. Would put black powdercoat on instead of chrome even on items that came chrome from the factory.

Ah, the purist perspective. I totally appreciate and respect that!

Quoted from Imeh:

Avoid the plastics

So I guess that's a no to the wood rails?

Quoted from PW79:

Life is too short to skimp on the bling

Make it rain!

Amen brotha!

Quoted from Pinmeister:

Please don't chrome or powder coat the coin door. The only coin door mod worth doing is the custom door for Scared Stiff.

I couldn't agree more. I don't know why, but no matter how good the chrome job is, chrome coin doors just look cheap to me. (Just my opinon)

Quoted from KerryD:

Really though, it comes down to taste. Make it yours and have fun!

Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Your machine, do what you like

Yeah for sure, this is what it comes down to. I guess my hold up is, I don't know how chrome wears compared to the stainless. For example if chrome wears the same as stainless steel (ball trails and such) then I could just skip the step of polishing all the ball guides to a mirror finish by hand. But if the chrome chips or wears poorly then I wouldn't do the chrome. Same with scoops etc., I only want to chrome what makes sense in terms of durability vs. ascetics.

#13 9 years ago

How much does chroming pinball parts usually cost? Coin door, siderails, legs?

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

So, this is my first time sending a lot of parts out to be chromed, at least more than the traditional lockbar, legs, and wireforms. Is there a general rule of thumb for things that should NOT be chromed? For example, PinballMikeD had his Fathom ball guides chromed which I thought looked really sharp, but would it be okay on a WPC game? Ive also seen ramps on games like The Shadow look amazing chromed but would it be awkward to chrome a very visable scoop? Just curious what the community thought, thanks!

If you're a pimp, chrome it. If you're not, don't.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Sage advice from the man himself. This is for a BSD so its your restore that really got me thinking about it. Speaking of restore, I sent you a PM about a decal you had mentioned in the BSD club thread.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I'm with you 100%. Most aftermarket plating and powder coating just looks really cheesy to me.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Chrome them Gators
Gators.jpgGators.jpg

#18 9 years ago

I chromed a Spider-Man red side rails,lock down,apron ,image-172.jpgimage-172.jpgimage-32.jpgimage-32.jpgimage-72.jpgimage-72.jpgimage-244.jpgimage-244.jpgimage-942.jpgimage-942.jpgimage-776.jpgimage-776.jpgimage-589.jpgimage-589.jpglegs,flipper bats,wire ramps, Also clear coated the playfield.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from jtreehorn:

How much does chroming pinball parts usually cost? Coin door, siderails, legs?

JTree, it all depends on size and part. Wireforms are normally 25 - 35 each, siderails are 120 for the pair outright, and to chrome a widebody lockbar is 65. All the little stuff, I have no idea how that's priced but this should give you a good idea.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

JTree, it all depends on size and part. Wireforms are normally 25 - 35 each, siderails are 120 for the pair outright, and to chrome a widebody lockbar is 65. All the little stuff, I have no idea how that's priced but this should give you a good idea.

Thanks!!!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Sage advice from the man himself. This is for a BSD so its your restore that really got me thinking about it. Speaking of restore, I sent you a PM about a decal you had mentioned in the BSD club thread.

Well then bling the shit out of that thing!!!

#22 9 years ago

Chrome it, chrome it all.

100_1422_zps35fe64ab.JPG100_1422_zps35fe64ab.JPG
100_0462.JPG100_0462.JPG

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I chromed a Spider-Man red side rails,lock down,apron ,legs,flipper bats,wire ramps, Also clear coated the playfield.

image-589.jpg 371 KB

image-776.jpg 400 KB

image-942.jpg 594 KB

image-244.jpg 532 KB

image-72.jpg 581 KB

image-32.jpg 602 KB

image-172.jpg 461 KB

That is one bad ass apron there tatman.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Well then bling the shit out of that thing!!!

Looks like I have my answer!

Quoted from pinsanity:

That is a lot of chrome! I like a lot of those ideas. On a BSD, since its a darker table, I think I will skip the chrome on the back box hinges and the coin door.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That is one bad ass apron there tatman.

THANKS

3 weeks later
#26 9 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

100_1422_zps35fe64ab.JPG 524 KB
100_0462.JPG 47 KB

Your name says it all

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Your name says it all

It's a fine line between pinsanity and genius. I have erased that line.

Either that or building a second MM from scratch.

#28 9 years ago

Put me in the don't chrome the door camp (sounds like you already feel the same way) but a little shine is always an option otherwise I think. Murdered out black is great too. So is factory pure. It's fun to have different machines. I say hot rod it up!

#29 9 years ago

I like the chrome coin door on some games. Here's my CCC & T3. Think they look great!-JoeCCC (15).JPGCCC (15).JPG029.JPG029.JPG

#30 9 years ago

Nice job on T3 neverahighscore! That chrome looks perfect on that title.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Put me in the don't chrome the door camp (sounds like you already feel the same way) but a little shine is always an option otherwise I think. Murdered out black is great too. So is factory pure. It's fun to have different machines. I say hot rod it up!

Agreed, that sums it up pretty well!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

I like the chrome coin door on some games. Here's my CCC & T3. Think they look great!-Joe

029.JPG 512 KB

I gotta admit, on T2/3 it fits the theme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Green Lane, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

5,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tucson, AZ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-not-to-chrome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.