20161019_185032 (resized).jpg
20161113_151328 (resized).jpg
20161113_151337 (resized).jpg
IMG_0219 (resized).JPG
IMG_0214 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
IMG_0213 (resized).JPG
pasted_imageOc almost done. (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

Sure does toughen it up a little. Needed something to balance out all that purple, pink and sea foam green.

Wow... did you create that custom cab art? Looks VERY nice!!!

Old Chicago is one of my favorite pins. Looks great, plays great. Love those late 70's Bally's with the top arch rail... sexy.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I was going to Comment on that was well...LED's have their place, but it is not on an EM Playfield. You lose the warmth of the GI lighting & the fade in/out of switch controlled lamps.

I find a blended approach works well with EM's: 47 filament bulbs for all GI locations and the rest (backbox/under inserts/pop bumpers) use warm white frosted LED's. Looks natural, saves power, brings out the artwork, and pop filaments don't get twisted and burn out. Overall a win-win... the trick is selecting the right LED's and carefully matching them to the machine.

derby_(resized).jpgderby_(resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

I agree... the pops are the weakest link in the recipe. Just a smidge too bright, though the color temperature is close. Cointaker used to make a "warm white super premium" which had the perfect luminance for pop bumpers but manufacturing tolerances changed over successive runs. Can't get that exact color/brightness match anymore.

I may have to take matters in my own hands with a RGB controllable LED for the pops. Might be the only way to get it dialed in just right. Everything else looks really nice though.

1 week later
#40 7 years ago

Mine have the metal liners... don't think they are painted white otherwise.

3 weeks later
#62 7 years ago
Quoted from embryonjohn:

So glad you're taking the time to do it right. My family of four originally wrote off my OC as an outdated EM, then one night we played 4 player... They couldn't believe how fast the game is and how much perfection it demands from each player just to stay alive: there's no clearing aside shots to catch your breath cause if you do you serve it right up the the pops and down the drain it goes. I now catch them playing it all alone.

Always a treat to see this happen. That's why I love to do shows... really fun to see a well-tuned EM hooking new players who otherwise didn't expect it.

3 months later
#110 7 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

I guess there is no love for Old Chicago! Over two pages and not one mention!?! Boo!

Thanks for mentioning this. I find the history of derelict amusement parks fascinating... middle-class fantasy frozen in photos, never to return the same way again. I was too young and too far away to visit Old Chicago, alas. Biggest regret is not seeing the Krofft theme park and its life-size pinball ride. I can't believe it was never filmed... come on someone... give it up!

Nowadays, the closest thing we have is Disney and Vegas. Both fun in their own ways, but the rest of these ambitious halls of fantasy (large and small) are long gone, with shopping malls following in their footsteps.

3 months later
#132 7 years ago

Did OC have yellowed pop bumper caps from the factory? Or did they fade over time? Seems like every original OC that I've found has yellowish pop caps matching the playfield color.

I think it looks better with new white caps, bodies, and skirts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nicovolta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-no-love-for-old-chicago?tu=nicovolta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.