20161019_185032 (resized).jpg
20161113_151328 (resized).jpg
20161113_151337 (resized).jpg
IMG_0219 (resized).JPG
IMG_0214 (resized).JPG
IMG_0215 (resized).JPG
IMG_0213 (resized).JPG
pasted_imageOc almost done. (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#89 7 years ago

SO I guess this is the closest thing to an OC club? I just picked one up and finished a basic shop job, and have a few questions if anyone can help:

1) Which way is the spinner supposed to face? Facing the player, is the red arrow pointing down? Mine is this way, as are pics I've looked at... and the the weight bias seems to favor this... but the spinner leans with the bottom edge *toward* the ball... I thought they are supposed to lean so that the bottom edge faces *away*?

2) Mine has #455 flashers installed under the cocktail girl plastics (upper arch). Is this original? I like the effect.

3) Speaking of flashers... the backglass needs some action. I was thinking of putting flashers behind the word "CHICAGO" and maybe in the spots where bulbs are directly behind marquees on the buildings. Any reason I shouldn't try this?

4) How sensitive should the drop targets be? I've had what looked like a few solid strikes, but they don't always seem to drop. Manually checking them doesn't show anything amiss. But this is my first Bally of the era, so maybe that's how they are?

Game is wicked brutal... can never quite tell what's going to happen with those pops where they are. But I love the spinner shot - might be my favorite on of the games I own. Especially if it gets caught in the pops cuz then you get some real machine-gun action sounds, which is quite apropo

2 months later
#119 7 years ago

Ah, Dillinger's been shot! Turned on my OC tonight to play and I've got a perplexing problem: when the ball drains, the score motor just runs and runs.

Investigating further, the bonus countdown is not starting... so then it does not trigger the full sequence of ball count, ball (to shooter lane) eject, drop target reset, etc. But individually all those functions seem to work if I manually trigger them.

For additional troubleshooting, I cleaned all the switches on the score motor, but that made no difference.

Oddly enough, when the ball drains and the score motor just runs and runs... my only option is to turn off the machine. When I turn it back on, it goes into an "infinite reset cycle" of resetting the drop targets, etc.

If I don't turn off the machine, and instead take off the glass and manually flick the ball back to the shooter lane, the game continues and functions as normal, without bonus and ball count, etc.

So can anyone lend a clue where to start digging deeper? I suspect the bonus count but then how is this triggered, specifically?

#120 7 years ago

After studying the behavior, and the way components tie together in the schematic, I realized that the bonus countdown actually wasn't working as expected.

I got confused because the bonus unit *IS* required to get the ball to reset, etc... so, in that sense it appeared to be functional. But in actuality, the reset/countdown solenoid was not triggering on its own. Once I realized this, I confirmed that the "stuck motor" would end if I manually stepped the bonus unit down: counting down the bonus has to happen before the target resets, outhole kick, etc occur.

This of course proved that all the relays worked. But triggering other relays actually got the bonus step down to work, too...! So clearly there's no hard-fault broken connection. So what was the problem?

The outhole bonus relay has a several switches... one of which directly controls the bonus unit step-down. This outhole bonus relay was working... but that lone switch was not making good contact. It took me an hour to finally confirm the problem was indeed limited to that switch...

...and another hour to fix the damn thing. Of course it would have to be a relay that's one of the most difficult to access... and not just that, but out of 7 switches connected to it, the defective one was the absolute hardest to reach of those! Then simply cleaning and adjusting it did not work. I could watch it make contact but no matter what, I had to press or hold it to make it fire.

So in the end I had to disassemble the stack and reverse one of the affected switch leaves to restore reliable contact points. For not having a spare switch of that size on hand, nor wanting to solder in that inaccessible spot (shoot, you'd have to disassemble the entire game just to get enough slack out of the wires in that spot, arrgh)... I was pretty pleased to at least be able to improvise that far.

So now, the game works as it did before!

#122 7 years ago

Most (if not all?) of the switches on my OC are backwards too. I guess the B/W plants were sharing drugs as well as tech back then...

2 months later
#136 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Did OC have yellowed pop bumper caps from the factory? Or did they fade over time?

NicoVolta I think they yellowed over time. When I got mine they all had the "playfield matching" look, but to slightly varying degrees. That variance plus other clues from careful inspection when I removed them, indicated to me that they were originally white and not an off-white / yellow.

Regardless, it looks much better after replacing them. I need to do the skirts and bodies too; oddly enough those are mostly un-yellowed but they're brittle from age.

1 month later
#137 7 years ago

Long shot, but has anyone here replaced or upgraded their apron, and have a good original to part with? Mine is badly faded on one side and missing part of the screening (and Bally Man's legs!) on the other.... so if there's an "upgrade" available I might be interested.

I guess plastics too, while I'm asking? Left side ones primarily.

FWIW I shared this at the Louisville show a couple weeks ago and it played without a hitch the entire time. Neat to see the EMs getting love in a row of SS machines.

OC (resized).jpgOC (resized).jpg

#139 7 years ago

Hmm, I'd wondered about the decal situation as I've heard passing mention in other threads but never about OC. I thought about making my own but then I still need a good reference pic or scan.

As for the CPR sets, those are indeed beautiful... but pricier than I'm willing to spend since I don't need a full set, just a few on the left side. I'd really rather spend on a stencil kit to repaint the cab before I spring for CPR plastics. I figure someone out there pickier than I has replaced originals that were still better than mine. Or maybe not... don't know if I don't ask!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider goingincirclez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-no-love-for-old-chicago?tu=goingincirclez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.