(Topic ID: 218522)

What NIB Stern pro to buy for 1 pin collection?

By joelbob

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by indybru
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What NIB Stern pro to buy for 1 pin collection?”

• Iron Maiden 42 votes
    26%
  • Metallica 33 votes
    20%
  • Aerosmith 4 votes
    2%
  • Star Wars 13 votes
    8%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy 15 votes
    9%
  • Star Trek 19 votes
    12%
  • Walking Dead 18 votes
    11%
  • Ghostbusters 11 votes
    7%
  • Other... 7 votes
    4%

(162 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4K VPIn 2 (resized).PNG
2 (resized).jpg
QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys,

I currently have a TSPP that I am planning on selling to fund a NIB Stern pro. I really enjoy TSPP but I find myself playing it the same way every time and I struggle with the "one more game" feeling as most games are pretty long. My friends and family don't get too much into it as a pin probably due to its overall complexity and "lack" of toys. For example when we go to a local pinball bar my friends/family love MM due to its toys and simplicity.

So the big question is what NIB Stern pro should I buy that is fast and will keep me coming back for more as well as grab and hold the attention of my non pinball friends/family. I'm leaning towards MET but there are some other really great newer pins as well.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Funny, I was going to recommend MET. It is a hit here, and I have MM too. Players love the gameplay and the depth, but new people and casuals love sparky. Full disclosure, the music can get grating after you have heard it a few hundred times, but it is one of my games that is bolted to the floor. You can also add a ton of mods to personalize it if that is your thing.

#3 5 years ago

Metallica is the correct answer.

#4 5 years ago

If a Stern Pro is the only choice, then almost certainly Metallica in a one pin collection.

#5 5 years ago

MET is a good choice. As well as AC/DC. LOTR if you play by yourself a lot is a long epic journey and good for a home environment. But you already have an epic journey pin, so you may not want to jump into another right away.

#6 5 years ago

Star Trek

Lots of ways to play and gain a big score. 3 wizard modes which 2 are really hard to get to

Flows great, warp shot is a super satisfying shot to rip repeatedly

bunch of modes, dots look great on a Color DMD

MET would be a great choice as well if you are okay with the soundtrack

#7 5 years ago

I love my Met and ST so I'd say either one.

#8 5 years ago

I loved my Met pro....if you go that direction buy the complete Cliffy protectors, and color DMD.

#9 5 years ago

Metallica. Crank it up is attainable at least once a game, so you get the excitement of that. Many MBs, and call outs and music is awesome

#10 5 years ago

MET, TWD, IMDN, ACDC, AS, ............Pick one and have fun with it. Done.

#11 5 years ago

IMHO, MET isn't a good non-pinball friends/family pin, and OP mentioned that as one of his criteria. Unless, you want to argue that you can flail around and hit a bunch of things, great, but then really any Stern game comes into the mix.

Even in league I was telling some more casual players (who I've been in league with for at least 2-3 years now) the basic rules to CIU and the whole collecting the 4 items, and how lit inserts also count towards that item, even if you're not hitting that specific shot (i.e. lit cross inserts vs. the actual cross targets). They've been playing MET for years and never picked up on that. It's also not the best game if there are kids playing.

Meanwhile, I agree with InfiniteLives above. ST has a perfect balance of beginner fun (shoot lit shots, maybe hit the ship a few times and stumble into Vengeance), but a lot of strategy for an experienced player.

We put ST Pro as a standalone in my parents' basement, and every family gathering we have 3-4 player games going all day, kids and adults. I just opt not to play as my ball times start to get groans from the people who want to play, so I just play when I visit the rents' on my own.

#12 5 years ago

I played Met at the pinball museum in Vegas and it did seem pretty fun though I really didn't log enough time on it. In my home collection, LOTR certainly received a TON of play but you won't find these NIB. Star Trek (Stern) is alright but it wouldn't be my first choice for a 1 pin home. I am actually now playing mostly Star Wars - partly because it is new but also because for me, it hits all the marks (code, sound, music, art etc.). Being a Star Wars nerd from the 80s helps too.

I guess I'd suggest you play a little more of the ones you are interested in. For me, music themes really doesn't do it. I enjoy playing them, but not enough to spend the dough and have it sitting in my house full time.

#13 5 years ago

MET is a great choice some other good ones are iron maiden, ac dc, and TWD.

#14 5 years ago

Surprised no one has mentioned the obvious choice: Iron Maiden Pro. It's like Metallica but upgraded with 2 extra flippers, 2 spinners, color changing LED's in inserts, an HD Color LCD and stereo sound. Both games have excellent rule-sets but Maiden feels less like chopping wood. Maiden also has lots of great modes besides just the CIU modes. Metallica is a good choice but Maiden is a great choice!

#15 5 years ago

No such thing as a "one pin collection"!

Who is the audience? Just for you? A family with kids? the DMD games are starting to feel more and more dated lately and if I can only have ONE pin, its NOT going to be a DMD game, it would be Iron Maiden. If I have a family in the mix, I would go for a Guardians of the Galaxy - they can be had for a fantastic price for a pro (sub 5k) and offer a ton of technology and a pretty solid layout. The new code has gone a LONG way. The LCD technology is leaps and bounds better and more attractive, especially for newcomers and kids. I love Metallica as much as the next guy and owned a premium for awhile but I wouldn't go back that direction - especially not as a single pin "collection"

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Surprised no one has mentioned the obvious choice: Iron Maiden Pro. It's like Metallica but upgraded with 2 extra flippers, 2 spinners, color changing LED's in inserts, an HD Color LCD and stereo sound. Both games have excellent rule-sets but Maiden feels less like chopping wood. Maiden also has lots of great modes besides just the CIU modes. Metallica is a good choice but Maiden is a great choice!

Have both and met is still better imo... even after 3.5 years of ownership

#17 5 years ago

I prefer TWD over Metallica.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

IMHO, MET isn't a good non-pinball friends/family pin, and OP mentioned that as one of his criteria. Unless, you want to argue that you can flail around and hit a bunch of things, great, but then really any Stern game comes into the mix.
Even in league I was telling some more casual players (who I've been in league with for at least 2-3 years now) the basic rules to CIU and the whole collecting the 4 items, and how lit inserts also count towards that item, even if you're not hitting that specific shot (i.e. lit cross inserts vs. the actual cross targets). They've been playing MET for years and never picked up on that. It's also not the best game if there are kids playing.
Meanwhile, I agree with infinitelives above. ST has a perfect balance of beginner fun (shoot lit shots, maybe hit the ship a few times and stumble into Vengeance), but a lot of strategy for an experienced player.
We put ST Pro as a standalone in my parents' basement, and every family gathering we have 3-4 player games going all day, kids and adults. I just opt not to play as my ball times start to get groans from the people who want to play, so I just play when I visit the rents' on my own.

Opposite for me. All my friends and family enjoyed MET when I had it. Non-pinheads LOVE bash toys and MET has a shit ton of them. To progress, it's bash bash bash all day. None could reach CIU modes though. They never saw them.

I enjoyed it for different reasons. Getting thru multiple CIU modes, deciding to double playfield and try to cash in. Once I cashed in Enter Sandman for over 300,000,000 once.

After 3 years ago, I was done. Too much bashing and I had my fill. This can happen with any pin though.

#19 5 years ago

If you can hold off for awhile, you might wait to see how the Munsters game turns out. It will most certainly be family friendly and incorporate all of the new tech.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

More
Opposite for me. All my friends and family enjoyed MET when I had it. Non-pinheads LOVE bash toys and MET has a shit ton of them. To progress, it's bash bash bash all day. None could reach CIU modes though. They never saw them.
I enjoyed it for different reasons. Getting thru multiple CIU modes, deciding to double playfield and try to cash in. Once I cashed in Enter Sandman for over 300,000,000 once.
After 3 years ago, I was done. Too much bashing and I had my fill. This can happen with any pin though.

Agreed! My non pinball playing family loved MET when I had one briefly. It was easy enough to understand and engaging. They preferred that over my other games at the time which was Tron, TSPP, SP.

#22 5 years ago

Does it have to be a Stern? MMr or AFMr are also good options imo.

#23 5 years ago

The only reason I said Stern pro is price point.

#24 5 years ago

I’ll throw this idea out there for a one pin collection. Buy a used Hobbit pin for around $6000. It’s one of the best looking pins and causal players and friends and family will love it. All of the above stern pros are great options as well. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Star Trek, Spider Man, Tron, Star Wars, GOTG- would all be great choices

#25 5 years ago

I have MET and LOTR. My buddy has AC/DC and POTC, we play TWD, SW, and GB every week at league. We’ve had GOT, GOTG, Kiss and ST before so have lot of play time on these. If your concerned about non pinheads/family playing. And a game that is very fun to play. Out of all the games I mentioned I would go with POTC followed by Ghost Busters. Although my personal favorites are MET and LOTR.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I have MET and LOTR. My buddy has AC/DC and POTC, we play TWD, SW, and GB every week at league. We’ve had GOT, GOTG, Kiss and ST before so have lot of play time on these. If your concerned about non pinheads/family playing. And a game that is very fun to play. Out of all the games I mentioned I would go with POTC followed by Ghost Busters. Although my personal favorites are MET and LOTR.

This guy is on to something. I agree Pirates is best for friends and family. Medieval too, but that's $3k more. If its just for you then Met Pro or Maiden Pro.

#27 5 years ago

TWD pro or Met pro

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Had both - theme on IMDN absolutely tanks it for me. Many feel the same way. MET is the pin for a wider audience although IMDN is fun...

#29 5 years ago

Have owned MET since It first came out and even in a larger pin collection it still gets the most plays. This includes my young kids as well as non pinhead friends. It just never gets tiring and you can play it different every game (for the record my TSPP I also own since new and it barely gets played so they are on opposite ends of the spectrum IMO). Go for CIU inserts one game, next game bash for sparky, next game crosses, next game snake, next game coffin, go for blackened mode.... on and on.

If you get bored of or don’t like the music I have used Pinball browser to mess around. I used beastie boys, some other heavy rock and a mix... however I settled back to MET music but with some tweaks and inserting some newer stuff.

After MET it would have to be TWD... again a game you can play different every time. Not sure how many NIB you will find and also not really great for non pinheads or kids as it kicks their butts much harder than MET and much more graphic for children too.

At the end of the day MET pro is a great choice and will always be in demand with the great gameplay options and deep code it offers.

Good luck!!

#30 5 years ago

If you’re leaning towards a music pin, IMDN is one of the best new pins to play.
I had Met. really good pin, but IMDN has so much more with four flippers and a unique playfield, that’s incredibly fun. Along with having an LCD screen.

#31 5 years ago

Lyman is the secret sauce still making MET the #1 NIB Stern pro for the widest audience in a 1 pin collection.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from joelbob:

Hey guys,
I currently have a TSPP that I am planning on selling to fund a NIB Stern pro. I really enjoy TSPP but I find myself playing it the same way every time and I struggle with the "one more game" feeling as most games are pretty long. My friends and family don't get too much into it as a pin probably due to its overall complexity and "lack" of toys. For example when we go to a local pinball bar my friends/family love MM due to its toys and simplicity.
So the big question is what NIB Stern pro should I buy that is fast and will keep me coming back for more as well as grab and hold the attention of my non pinball friends/family. I'm leaning towards MET but there are some other really great newer pins as well.
Thanks!

If you want to avoid repetition as much as possible and have variety as well as strategy I'd recommend SW (first) and GOT (second) - these 2 pins have so many unique ways to play the game but they are of a different breed too as they are fast/flow style games with very little interactive toys. 3rd on the list would be Iron Maiden, it is a fantastic all around pin in gameplay, rules, strategy, code, sounds, art, etc... If you want the full package, go IMDN - otherwise SW or GOT. Metallica is a very fun and deep pin with outstanding code, but it's extremely repetitive and grindy; I don't see it being good for a one pin collection - it wasn't for me in a 3-pin collection.

#33 5 years ago

^^^^My man beat me to it!

Star Wars, Game of Thrones, or Maiden.

Real plays, Play Pros (TM)

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

^^^^My man beat me to it!
Star Wars, Game of Thrones, or Maiden.
Real plays, Play Pros (TM)

...... Except Ghostbusters.

#35 5 years ago

Guess I need to try an Iron Maiden.....so much positive about it

#36 5 years ago

Sopranos. Best party pin ever, humor and the shot layout is nearly identical to LOTR without all the gnomes. Can set it to family mode for the little ones or adult mode for the older kids. Use the rest of the money for a system 11 or old school EM so you have a change of speed/layout.

#37 5 years ago

Walking Dead (I'm not into zombies AT ALL, but the gameplay is undeniable) or Iron Maiden.

#38 5 years ago

IMDN, has the flow and speed of MM you are looking for.

#39 5 years ago

I don’t know about a “1 pin collection”. You should probably befriend some more folks that own a few games so that you can play a variety of games more often.

There’s actually a cool tournament in Cincinnati this weekend if you are interested.

#40 5 years ago

I would check into Star Trek since they are remaking them.

#41 5 years ago

Game of Thrones is a great pro game!!!

#42 5 years ago

Any of them
most games that are coming out are fun to play
they seem to be also holding their value

dont over think it, just buy one

#43 5 years ago

Star Trek is a safe choice, easy to see what to do for beginners or those who don’t play often.

Metallica is a great choice as well, it doesn’t pass the “family friendly” require for my clan, that’s the only reason I don’t own it.

#44 5 years ago

I own ST and MET. Both are very fun and you shouldn’t get bored with them easily like some other titles. Try out any game you buy NIB and make sure it’s right for you.

#45 5 years ago

New In Box tough call as it is so subjective . But if you want a STERN Pro I'm liking STERN " Star Wars " Pro at the moment.
Here is a STERN Dealer near you that also repairs and will visit your home if need be .
https://www.docpinball.com/brands/stern-pinball/
QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpgQUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg

#46 5 years ago

Just look at my 1 pin collection. There is your answer.

#47 5 years ago

I spent several hours last night playing the latest sterns. Here is my list in the order I liked playing them the best (all pro models)

1. Aerosmith
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Star Wars
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

However, I still like my hobbit better than those. So another poster on here may have the right idea. Get a HUO Hobbit. It is great for new players too.

Not sure why I liked Aerosmith the best, but I did. The IMDN layout is very good though. My favorite themes are Star Wars and GoG and I have them last. For a single pin Star Wars seemed to have the deepest rules. One thing that surprised me is that I grew tired of the Star Wars theme song quicker than I thought I would.

#48 5 years ago

Man no one giving a premium GoT any love, had this in my line up for 2 1/2 years and will never leave. Had a lot of games come and go but it will never leave. By far most under rated game out there. MET good game as well but not in same league. Payed alot of iron maiden past week which looks like it's going to be pretty good as well. Good luck

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from lockislit:

Man no one giving a premium GoT any love, had this in my line up for 2 1/2 years and will never leave. Had a lot of games come and go but it will never leave. By far most under rated game out there. MET good game as well but not in same league. Payed alot of iron maiden past week which looks like it's going to be pretty good as well. Good luck

The OP wanted a NIB stern pro. But I threw out hobbit due the lower prices for HUO. Perhaps a GoT Premium HUO is in his price range too. However, maybe he is also looking for his first NIB pin and HUO is out.

#50 5 years ago

Easy choice, Iron Maiden.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wentzville, MO
Trade
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 3,699.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-nib-stern-pro-to-buy-for-1-pin-collection?hl=ausretrogamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.