(Topic ID: 214279)

What modes to play in Star Wars, when Hoth switch is broken?

By jonesjb

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CrazyLevi
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I have a tournament match where we will be playing Star Wars. The thing is, this particular machine has a Hoth switch that doesn’t register. Any ideas how to approach this (since some modes aren’t completable)? What modes should I pick? And which character should I pick? I normally take R2D2.

#2 6 years ago

So, if you shoot the right inner loop, nothing happens, but left inner loop works fine?

Impossible to Finish: Hoth MB (final shot), Tatooine MB, Endor MB, Endor III, Lightsaber Duel

Death Star II (?) will be much harder as you'll need to shoot Death Star three times. Death Star I,III,MB will be fine.

No Supers in Tie Fighter, no Video Mode

if you light hoth off the plunge you could play Hoth I video mode via another mode start shot. If you get the multiplier up high first that could still be worth good points, and depending on character selected it could light Hoth MB, which could be nice (especially if stacking MBs is enabled), even though you can't finish it to start victory MB.

R2D2 may still be a good option, but just avoid ever playing Endor III. Can still get to Death Star MB and possibly complete it for Victory MB.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

So, if you shoot the right inner loop, nothing happens, but left inner loop works fine?
Impossible to Finish: Hoth MB (final shot), Tatooine MB, Endor MB, Endor III
Death Star II (?) will be much harder as you'll need to shoot Death Star three times. Death Star I,III,MB will be fine.
No Supers in Tie Fighter, no Video Mode.

Thanks! Yes that is correct, this also has the effect of triggering the Hyperspace from the right loop when it comes around and hits the left.

So is Endor III the only standard mode that isn’t completable? Still worth going with R2D2?

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes that is correct, this also has the effect of triggering the Hyperspace from the right loop when it comes around and hits the left.

You mean, you can complete the hurry-up by shooting Hoth?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You mean, you can complete the hurry-up by shooting Hoth?

I believe so.

#6 6 years ago

If so, that could be a viable strategy (if taking advantage of that is legal). You can light your Hurry-Ups by just backhanding the left ramp over and over to complete your inlanes. Hoth is much easier to hit, so you can complete the hurry-ups and get to Hyperspace MB easier. It can be worth a lot of points if you can keep it going

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If so, that could be a viable strategy (if taking advantage of that is legal). You can light your Hurry-Ups by just backhanding the left ramp over and over to complete your inlanes. Hoth is much easier to hit, so you can complete the hurry-ups and get to Hyperspace MB easier. It can be worth a lot of points if you can keep it going

I’ve historically always tried to play Endor III, which is why I was getting frustrated... hence this post. Thanks for these tips!

#8 6 years ago

Had league night last night... it looks like you can’t finish Death Star III btw.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Had league night last night... it looks like you can’t finish Death Star III btw.

Isn't that just shooting any purple shot and then the tie fighter?

#10 6 years ago

Stern needs to do a better job with switch compensation. Is a common and maddening oversight which you never saw on Williams games.

We had a Star Trek with a bad right orbit switch. So you just couldn’t complete certain modes or jackpots. Really silly.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stern needs to do a better job with switch compensation. Is a common and maddening oversight which you never saw on Williams games.
We had a Star Trek with a bad right orbit switch. So you just couldn’t complete certain modes or jackpots. Really silly.

yeah, its kind of crazy that much of star wars is out of comish with a single switch failure.

at least on the hobbit when the stupid trolls dont pop up and work it lets you hit the shot behind it to count it. never really realized modern sterns dont have any compensation rules set up.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How would you compensate in either of these cases?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If a switch hasn't been hit in like X amount of games the game should know it doesn't work and could either not light that shot for the mode and light a different shot instead maybe?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Quite simply by moving that shot somewhere else, or requiring you to hit a different shot twice instead of once when the game figures out a switch isn't working. Stern games already have operator error alerts for switches, so the game obviously knows when there's a problem.

90s Williams games did this stuff all the time.

You ask for specific examples - on Star Trek, if the right orbit switch isn't working, stop lighting it. Move the jackpot shot there elsewhere, move the mode shots elsewhere. Same thing on Star Wars. There's tons of different shots in these games to use and switch compensation is the difference between smart and dumb when it comes to keeping a location game working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-modes-to-play-in-star-wars-when-hoth-switch-is-broken and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.