(Topic ID: 288215)

What modern sterns should and should NOT have a shaker?

By Doctor6

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by sulli10
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So in the current age, literally every game has a shaker.

Kinda.... doesn't make sense.

What games should you go out of your way to add a shaker, and what ones sorta suck with them? I could take or leave Metallica and BM66 with a shaker, for instance. Looking for opinions on shaker usage for Deadpool, but would love to hear opinions for both sides about modern stern machines and shaker upgrades.

#2 3 years ago

Star Wars needs a shaker

I’m getting a DP and will not be adding a shaker

#3 3 years ago

I HATE SHAKERS. For the most part

#4 3 years ago

JP definitely needs a shaker.
    There are certainly several that don't, however.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

I HATE SHAKERS. For the most part

I'm not a fan either. I don't have any in my games and have no desire to add any. I'd rather use an external sub for the rumble effect.

#6 3 years ago

STh shaker ads some nice feedback on demo hits with new code.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

So in the current age, literally every game has a shaker.
    Kinda.... doesn't make sense.
    What games should you go out of your way to add a shaker, and what ones sorta suck with them? I could take or leave Metallica and BM66 with a shaker, for instance. Looking for opinions on shaker usage for Deadpool, but would love to hear opinions for both sides about modern stern machines and shaker upgrades.

Met definitely benefits from a shaker. I didn't think it did much for deadoool. That being said, I put them in and enjoy in every stern

#8 3 years ago

Iron Maiden is good with a shaker added

#9 3 years ago

Interesting topic. I feel like in every single club thread, there's always a 'you gotta get a shaker!' crowd. I personally don't really care about them.

#10 3 years ago

Every modern Stern game needs a shaker in my opinion. Its like every modern console video game controller with vibration in the controller, it just adds to the gameplay. Some coders can create suspenseful moments with the shaker that add alot to most games. My favorite shaker coder is Dwight. Plus for $80 its a really cheap addon.

#11 3 years ago

I've had a few LE's that came with a shaker and added a couple to some Pre's/Pro's but that was long ago, in the same era of mods and armor upgrades. Don't miss them or modding and with the exception of lighting to personal taste for me the rest adds just about zero to the overall experience. I will say my STLE benefitted from a shaker for the beginning of Klingon Multiball.

#12 3 years ago

I have a shaker in Tron but it’s pretty forgettable.

#13 3 years ago

Shaker in my GoT LE is pretty freaking cool...that dragon multiball with the dragon on the mini PF going...hitting the battering ram for the super JP in blackwater MB

#14 3 years ago

I don’t miss the shaker in my GB Pro.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Interesting topic. I feel like in every single club thread, there's always a 'you gotta get a shaker!' crowd. I personally don't really care about them.

This. No real reason to put them in or leave out of any games. I put one in my first Stern but no desire to use one again. I've played some games where the shaker is way too much. I don't need to game feeling like it's going to explode on every shot.

#16 3 years ago

I have one in my IMDN but could do without it

#17 3 years ago

Can you put more than one shaker in a game?

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I don’t miss the shaker in my GB Pro.

Will politely disagree here. Of the 4 pins we have, GB benefits most from a shaker. Storage Facility Multiball alone does it, but Slimer hits, Spooked Librarian and extra ball are fantastic as well.

DP is ok for shaker but could probably live without it in hindsight.

#19 3 years ago

Some games like MM and GB I like having as well as in Road Show. RS I had to turn down as it shook the whole house, not to mention it was loosening things under the playfield.

I wish GB had a setting to lower, well it does, but it doesn't work.

#20 3 years ago

I'm not a huge fan of shakers I usual disable them.

#21 3 years ago

I don't go pit of my way to add one, if the game has it fine I'll try it out and see if I like the effect but usually I find I don't really care for them and disable them.

#22 3 years ago

Depends on the game. I love it in TWD - adds to the zombie theme a lot. I like it in IMDN. I didn't like it on MET (although could be because mine came with a Red Tremor and it's WAY too strong). I'm on the fence with AIQ - I don't like it at the start of Soul Gem, but not sure I actually notice it much outside of that... I'll have to pay more attention.

#23 3 years ago

Great on Iron maiden. Not so much on Star Wars.

#24 3 years ago

I only wish the shaker on my JP would work

Second one, second node board from Stern. Continues to fail.

I have it on my Elvira HoH and it’s just ok - not really utilized in exciting ways like JP.

I expect I’ll put one in my incoming BKSOR and appreciate the addition.

#25 3 years ago

Put one in my LZ premium. I like them in pins with bash toys. I have them in LAH-crane, FH-Rudy, CV-ringmaster, LOTR-balrog, MB-monsters, LZ-electric magic, ST-Vengeance and Houdini-pops and stage.

#26 3 years ago

I love shakers in almost any newer stern or b/w game. The best part is when non pinheads play a game with a shaker and they had never felt one before.

#27 3 years ago

I love shakers in all of my Stern pins. Think they add to the immersion and fun of the game. Definitely integrated better in some pins then others. I had one in Deadpool and that thing shakes quite a bit so I really enjoyed it on that game a lot to answer your initial question. If I buy a pin and it doesn’t have one in it I always add it.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from adam12hicks:

I only wish the shaker on my JP would work
    Second one, second node board from Stern. Continues to fail.
    I have it on my Elvira HoH and it’s just ok - not really utilized in exciting ways like JP.
    I expect I’ll put one in my incoming BKSOR and appreciate the addition.

I just pulled the shaker from my EHOH and put it in BKSOR. I agree with you on EHOH. Better use of the shaker in BKSOR.
    I also believe SW is a benefit.. The best in my collection is Iron Man.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-modern-sterns-should-and-should-not-have-a-shaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.