52 days ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 49 days ago by generalgman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D37281FE-E769-43D3-94D2-7D90871259F4 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_1037 (resized).JPG

#1 52 days ago

At one time a card or something was glued to this apron. It looks like an older type of glue due to the color of it. It is not water soluble. Goo Gone does no good. Gasoline doesn't work either. I need some ideas to get this stuff off.

IMG_1037 (resized).JPG
    #2 52 days ago

Try WD40. Let it soak for a little bit then try to scrape it with a credit card or something similar.

#3 52 days ago

Gasoline? Never tried that. Wd40?

#4 52 days ago

A similar thread last week about removing masking tape. WD-40 worked, and several people urged poster to try peanut butter.

Let us know what you try and if it worked.

#5 52 days ago

Don't use lacquer thinner... a buddy of mine had a similar glue on his Funhouse apron. One quick swipe, it left the glue, and pulled/smudged the artwork/paint.

#6 52 days ago

WD-40 will do the job. Soak, wipe gently and soak again.

#7 52 days ago

Hair dryer and plastic scraper.

#8 52 days ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

WD-40 will do the job. Soak, wipe gently and soak again.

I tried WD-40 and peanut butter on an old operator sticker someone half scraped off my Blackout, neither one phased it a wit. Certainly worth trying but in my case was no dice.

#9 52 days ago

There was just a thread a few days ago with an impenetrable adhesive from an old sticker. WD40 got it. Worth a shot -

#10 52 days ago

I forgot to mention that I have tried WD 40 too. No luck.

#11 52 days ago

FYI From what I’ve seen, the gottlieb aprons in late 60’s 70’s games seem to lose the paint super easy sometimes. You wipe them with anything and it’s a risk of losing paint. Might just have been my games but I’d be careful.

#12 52 days ago

That almost looks like construction adhesive, and unfortunately won’t come off easily.

#13 52 days ago

amazon.com link »

It's worth a shot. I'm not sure what kind of glue you are up against, but this stuff is amazing for certain adhesives. Low risk for the art and you can soak it for older glues to enhance it's power.

#15 52 days ago

Maybe rapid-tac adhesive remover under saran wrap.

Its like orange oil but finer and soaks in better

#16 52 days ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Hair dryer and plastic scraper.

Have you tried this yet.

#17 52 days ago

I just did a google search on removing construction glue - I don't think any of the options I saw are good for your situation. Basically, they either recommend commercial glue remover, which is extremely harsh on paint, or heating it and scraping it off, which would remove your paint.

Hate to say it, but I think you're going to have to live with it or find a new apron.

#18 51 days ago

Keep looking for a nice apron.
    Photoshop up a fake vintage operator tag and use it to hide the glue. You could even use your own name.

Don C.

#19 51 days ago

Pinball Rescue has the decals for this apron. Perhaps that might be option #3.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Decals_Apron_Gottlieb.html

#20 51 days ago

I'm not convinced this is construction adhesive. I do see why it's being labeled that, but really any cured glue/adhesive will look similar.

Re-hydrate with some low impact solvent and bludgeon with dull mechanical force and call it macaroni.

#21 51 days ago

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll try them out and see if I can get lucky. Anybody else remember that glue we used to use in schools in the late 50s-60s that had like a tapered flat rubber applicator? There was a small slit in the flat that would release glue depending on how light or heavy you wanted it to come out. The color of this is very similar and I recall that stuff hardened like a rock to look kind of like amber. You always had to bend the rubber tip to get the old dried stuff off before using the applicator again. I wonder if this is that type of glue. If that jogs a memory perhaps you might remember the brand name.

#22 51 days ago

That would be Lepage’s glue.

#23 51 days ago

The name is Lepages. They are still around, the rubber tipped bottle is not. Solvent based glue is not for schoolkids (anymore).

Don_C

#24 51 days ago

If it is really contact cement, it won’t be rock hard, there will still be some ‘give’. Most sites say only heat and scraping work, because you can’t re-liquify the rubber base, but heat will soften it.

Don_C

#25 49 days ago

That was mucilage by LePages. Remember it well.
    D37281FE-E769-43D3-94D2-7D90871259F4 (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 38.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 9,099.00
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Women
    The Flipper Room
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 9.90
    Playfields
    The Super Fasteners
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 219.99
    $ 15.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside