(Topic ID: 28)

What makes good gameroom lighting? Any ideas?

By robin

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by muzikman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4403.JPG
    lightblocker.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealclubber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 10 years ago

I saw someone with the tube lights under the machines. This gave off light in the room but since it was underneath, didn't add glare.

5 months later
    #16 9 years ago

Well, newer machines run from about 4 Amps in attract mode up to 8 amps when everything is going crazy, like multiball. So a 20 amp line would safely hold only 2 newer machines. A third machine may trip the breaker/blow the fuse if all 3 were being played hard at the same time. Another problem to look out for is most receptacles are only rated at 15 amps with 20 amp pass-thru. This means while the overall circuit can hold 20 amps, you can only plug 15 amps worth of crap into a single receptacle before it trips the breaker. This is to protect the wiring and keep the house from burning down. So, unless you change the receptacle to a 20 amp version, you will only be able to plug in two newer machines and even then there is a change they will trip the breaker. 2x8A = 16A. I would change the receptacle to a 20Amp one and only plug in two machines to that receptacle with no more than 3 machines on one circuit.

The tube lights are cool. I would run them around the wall a couple of feet from the ceiling. To keep the reflections down, build a channel with a panel in front so the light reflects upward to the ceiling and not down or to the front. Kinda looks like a U with the wall being one side of the U. Lay the lights inside this channel. |_o_| The "O" is the light strip. I wish I could explain this better but it looks really good.

#18 9 years ago

Thanks. I just finished my basement and kept asking questions of the electrician to make my plan. I had a dedicated line run to my pinball wall so only my pins are plugged into that circuit that way I know I have 20A available. Even so, when I have friends over, I plug one pin into an extension cord to the receptacle across the room. I would hate to have someone's high score nullified by a brown out.

You should be able to look at the box and easily find out what you are running. On the arm of the breaker or the top of the fuse should be a number, 15, 20, 30 etc... That is how many amps the breaker/fuse and wires can handle.

Do you have 110v receptacles in your garage? 220v circuit is usually two 110v combined so those two 20A lines to your garage could be just for the 220V compressor but might be running off the kitchen's circuit.
    You might be able to have more lines run to your house. Most modern houses have 200A service. Not sure how much it would cost but that is something I would seriously look into. I couldn't live off of 100A, too many electronics.

Color preference is up to you. I like my rooms brighter (I'm afraid of the Bogey Man ) so I would probably go with blue but not all people do.

1 week later
    #30 9 years ago

Must go to Super8man's house and visit the Planet Arium. Planet Arium.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    $ 29.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 38.00
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    € 279.00
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 25.00
    Boards
    nvram.weebly.com
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 5.00
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealclubber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside