(Topic ID: 161334)

What makes a topic valid for the all pinball sub-forum?

By o-din

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 60 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dooskie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What makes a topic valid to be in the all pinball sub-forum?”

• Totally random dude 3 votes
      23%
    • If the pinsider that started the thread has purchased over $50,000 worth of NIB games in the last five years it's a shoe in. 0 votes
    • If one of the pinside staff doesn't care for the idea, it's barred. 10 votes
      77%

(13 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th_(resized).jpg
    th_(resized).jpg
    There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Serious question here. I've noticed how some speculation threads, what people want in a pinball threads, and sometimes others that are a whole lot of nonsense threads spend months in this sub-forum, while others get deleted or sent to the basement almost instantly even without breaking any of the pinside rules as they are written.

Certainly one man's dream is not always another's, but what is it that qualifies some to be included and others not?

#2 7 years ago

I suppose if it doesn't fit into any of the other categories and generally applies to everyone then I guess all pinball subforum.

#3 7 years ago

Case in point. I started a thread earlier today in regards to re-theming a pinball machine based on a character from the movie 16 Candles. Certainly that movie had nothing in it at all that goes contrary to what pinside has been preaching lately. And in less than twenty minutes it was in the basement. Similar to many others.

#4 7 years ago

Unless the character was a whore and you planned on making her do X-rated stuff on the theme, there should have been no reason for putting it in the basement.

#5 7 years ago

Hahahahahahaha. ANYtime I have to say something is long, I almost ALWAYS say it like this, "...that's pretty long duck dong." Well not in front on my 7th graders, but...

And if the wife is around? Straight to the doghouse (basement).

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Unless the character was a whore and you planned on making her do X-rated stuff on the theme

Certainly not!

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

topics like, "People who like balls, let's talk about it."

ps. in before the lock, or sent to basement (IBTB)

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And in less than twenty minutes it was in the basement. Similar to many others.

You are just a basement kind of guy like me, friends in low places, you know?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

topics like, "People who like balls, let's talk about it."

Like "Do you wax your balls?"

How long did that one have to stay on the front page?

Seriously, it seems like there is one guy sitting there going "Oh, that sounds good" or " No, that doesn't suit me, so to the trash heap it goes"

#10 7 years ago

I miss those hottest girls of pinball threads. Now its "Lets talk about feminine hygiene issues while my EM wont start up".

#11 7 years ago

At least one shiny ball. At least that's what I hear it takes. I just shared the soap, I swear.

#12 7 years ago

I guess the real question now is this topic valid for the all pinball sub-forum?

I'll be happy to add a poll if nobody can figure it out.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I miss those hottest girls of pinball threads. Now its "Lets talk about feminine hygiene issues while my EM wont start up".

When I worked in a grocery store a woman asked where the sanitary napkins were and I sent her to aisle eight for paper towels and toilet paper. Little did I know... Hey, my Quick Draw has flickering GI lighting. I heard someone mention a tit or something but I'm confused. Please advise.

#14 7 years ago

Poll added. But before I could finish it. Sorry.

#15 7 years ago

Because mods;
    Are not stupid
    Cannot read everything

Odin, you are a great guy and I like reading your posts, but there are times you post spam

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Odin, you are a great guy and I like reading your posts, but there are times you post spam

Thanks! But the whole front page is full garbage and spam. I put a lot of thought into it before I start any threads. And I don't really start that many. I'm just looking for an answer here.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thanks! But the whole front page is full garbage and spam. I put a lot of thought into it before I start any threads. And I don't really start that many. I'm just looking for an answer here.

What is spam to you and me, may be gold to someone else

It would be boring if we all liked the same thing

#18 7 years ago

Truth is if it was spam it would be deleted. But the real question is what makes one pinsider's idea front page news and another's garbage even after several people have already given positive response posts in that thread? Again without breaking any pinside rules.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think its time for little Jonny to turn off the computer and go outside and play...

#20 7 years ago

I think I may have figured it out!

This won't be the first time one of the staff took exception to something related to the brat pack movies of the 80s. I wonder what it was that caused such dismay. Could it have been something about Molly Ringwald?

#21 7 years ago

More importantly Odin, When is bacon fest?

#22 7 years ago

I have to check the calendar. But if I started a thread about a baconfest pinball machine would that get discarded as garbage too?

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have to check the calendar. But if I started a thread about a baconfest pinball machine would that get discarded as garbage too?

If it did I'd garbage pick it and eat it

#24 7 years ago

Here is what I think would be a fair solution.

Since there are imaginative pinball theme ideas and speculations running rampant on pinside, instead of the moderators trying to determine if one should continue and another should not, how about eliminating all talk of any pinball machine or theme that does not exist or is not yet in the production phase. And if not they should all be in the basement.

That seems like the only fair solution.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

If it did I'd garbage pick it and eat it

Any 5 second rule ?
    What if it was in a trash can on set of Breakfast Club?

3 weeks later
    #26 7 years ago

I am in the middle of a moderator feedback thread discussing this and other matters so maybe we will have an answer soon. I was told none saw this thread before.

#27 7 years ago

Is being in the basement bad? I see the posts like any other. The only difference is the color of the background and the speech is free-er.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Is being in the basement bad?

I'm starting to think not really as some of the better discussions on pinside are there. However most have nothing to do with pinball. If it is in any way pinball related then where should it go?

Whether it's somebody's crazy idea or one that doesn't seem so crazy.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Is being in the basement bad? I see the posts like any other. The only difference is the color of the background and the speech is free-er.

It's very bad.
    It also means, next to no one will ever see your thread/post.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

It's very bad.
    It also means, next to no one will ever see your thread/post.

This is true too and my reason for starting this thread. Some spend a lot of time coming up with ideas and then end up very discouraged when they are dumped instantly like trash into the basement where they fade into oblivion.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I am in the middle of a moderator feedback thread discussing this and other matters so maybe we will have an answer soon. I was told none saw this thread before.

I can help you a bit. When you suggest re-theming a King Kong worth $25K-$50K into a Long Duck Dong pin, that's gonna land you in the basement.

#32 7 years ago

Well I notice some threads end up there not because of the topic, but because of where the conversation ended up. In the past the thread would have been locked, but now it continues downstairs. I get o-din's point though.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

When you suggest re-theming a King Kong worth $25K-$50K into a Long Duck Dong pin, that's gonna land you in the basement.

Some people are wealthy enough to do whatever they want with whatever is theirs. I know a guy just like that.

Then others take perfectly good pinball machines and turn them into coffee tables or hang playfields on their ceilings or walls and show them off proudly so I think your point is moot.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

It's very bad.
    It also means, next to no one will ever see your thread/post

Guess I'm in the club then cause I go to the basement as soon as I login. Odin is right many of the threads there are interesting and contrary to popular belief, informative and pinball related.

#35 7 years ago

Here is one that has been in the all-pinball sub-forum for over two weeks-

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-think-parts-shipping-prices-are-a-joke

And another more recent one-

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-was-sexy-once

And these kind of threads seem never ending-

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-we-get-a-jaws-pinball

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Well I notice some threads end up there not because of the topic, but because of where the conversation ended up. In the past the thread would have been locked, but now it continues downstairs.

This has nothing to do with those threads. It is about topics that get sent immediately to the basement and others that linger in the all pinball sub-forum for months.

In the cases of those that got sent to the basement I'm referring to there was only positive feedback before they got flushed where ones that stay on the front page have all the usual name calling and fighting.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

that linger in the all pinball sub-forum

Not lingering now, your thread is now moved to "Website".

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Not lingering now, your thread is now moved to "Website".

Amazing how that happened on the first day and none of the pinside staff saw this thread isn't it?

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

none of the pinside staff saw this thread isn't it?

The inconsistency is a problem.. How ever I have not noticed Robins name in the On Line section very often lately.

#40 7 years ago

These guys are doing the best they can and are all good people. I'm just a stubborn old mule.

th_(resized).jpgth_(resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago

That's a handsome mule.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Case in point. I started a thread earlier today in regards to re-theming a pinball machine based on a character from the movie 16 Candles. Certainly that movie had nothing in it at all that goes contrary to what pinside has been preaching lately. And in less than twenty minutes it was in the basement. Similar to many others.

What has Pinside been preaching lately?

#43 7 years ago

Eat, drink, and be merry.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Eat, drink, and be merry.

Guess that's not such a bad thing. Moderator's are in the 'no win scenario' most of the time, although I don't shed a tear for them. It's their choice, and they have to take the bad with the good.

#45 7 years ago

Good point! I see you have a King Kong in your collection. Hmmmmmm....

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good point! I see you have a King Kong in your collection. Hmmmmmm....

Yeah, apparently I created a lot of hate and discontent because of the way I acquired the machine. Was severely scolded and threatened by one of the moderator's. So it's a topic best left undiscussed. Not going to have it much longer though. Had an offer on it I decided to accept.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Yeah, apparently I created a lot of hate and discontent because of the way I acquired the machine. Was severely scolded and threatened by one of the moderator's. So it's a topic best left undiscussed. Not going to have it much longer though. Had an offer on it I decided to accept.

Pics?

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Yeah, apparently I created a lot of hate and discontent because of the way I acquired the machine. Was severely scolded and threatened by one of the moderator's.

I remember your discussion with my fellow moderator. Just to be clear, there was no hate on his side at all, he just felt you should have a photo of this game and he respectfully noted that we believe we know where all of the existing KK games are at the moment (except the one destroyed in the fire) so the existence of your game is a mystery to us.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

It was a "pics or didn't happen" type of situation, from what I recall. If there were photos proving ownership, I'm sure there would have been no controversy. Folks had/have a hard time believing it without seeing photos. That's pretty much all it was.

Those were pinball-related topics and seemed to somewhat stay on topic.

The off-topic forum is just that--a forum for topics that are unrelated to pinball or a little too on the wild side for public consumption.

Quoted from o-din:

This has nothing to do with those threads. It is about topics that get sent immediately to the basement and others that linger in the all pinball sub-forum for months.
    In the cases of those that got sent to the basement I'm referring to there was only positive feedback before they got flushed where ones that stay on the front page have all the usual name calling and fighting.

However, we were working on ideas for a middle ground, which I'm sure we will be revisiting once Robin catches up after he returns from vacation.

The OT forum was added as a response to requests to allow an area for discussions where the rules were a bit more relaxed. Obviously, there are still plenty of interesting and worthwile threads in the OT forum in the basement, and moving threads there isn't intended to be a punishment of some sort. Threads are simply moved around to the forum that bests fits the discussion at hand.

Quoted from o-din:

Amazing how that happened on the first day and none of the pinside staff saw this thread isn't it?

We don't read every thread and every post. No one person can. Check the site stats...it ranges between 1500 to 3000 posts and 50 to 200 threads per day. It's pretty astonishing when you think about it. There is so much going on, that threads can sometimes wiz by the first page in a matter of hours and get lost among other active threads.

If you think a thread is particularly worthy of moderator attention (good or bad), report it, open a moderator feedback thread, or send one of us a PM. We're not scary people, I assure you. We just try to help keep things running reasonably smoothly, and each one of you can help us do that.

Quoted from Dooskie:

Guess that's not such a bad thing. Moderator's are in the 'no win scenario' most of the time, although I don't shed a tear for them. It's their choice, and they have to take the bad with the good.

Quoted from o-din:

These guys are doing the best they can and are all good people. I'm just a stubborn old mule.

True, we do get hit with a lot of blame and complaints for jumping in too much or not enough, but we have thick skin. Balance is challenging, and you can't make everyone happy, but we try to do our best and always listen to thoughts, ideas, and constructive criticism.

In the end, we're all here because of a passion for pinball

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Not going to have it much longer though. Had an offer on it I decided to accept.

Darn, I guess that means no Duck Dong re-theme.

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-makes-a-topic-valid-for-the-all-pinball-sub-forum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.