(Topic ID: 168849)

Poll: What makes a pinball theme desireable to you?

By Playmatic

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Multiple choice: Please vote on ALL theme aspects that appeal to you”

• Licensed theme (TV Show, Movies, a certain Brand) 56 votes
      17%
    • Original theme (or, licensing means little to me) 69 votes
      21%
    • Sci-Fi / Monsters / Dragons / Outerspace 69 votes
      21%
    • Western / gunslingers 21 votes
      6%
    • Sports (either actual teams or unlicensed, please clarify in your post) 6 votes
      2%
    • Music / Bands (Feel free to mention some particular bands or styles) 29 votes
      9%
    • Sex appeal 33 votes
      10%
    • Violence / Blood / Horror 24 votes
      7%
    • Family Friendly (I dislike adult themes & or don't want my kids playing them) 19 votes
      6%

(Multiple choice - 326 votes by 123 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

alien-pinball-whitewood-test-604x270 (resized).jpg
    image-24 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

There seems to be a lot I've read about Stern trying to balance things when it comes to their themes and marketing appeal. I've heard opinions from them varying from people wanting family-friendly for HUO machines and Adult themed for bars, collectors liking both... all the way to opinions that women don't care about themes only how fun the playfield is (what women at Stern did THEY ask?). Stern was considering a Hello Kitty themed machine for women (which I think is cute but probably wouldn't be a giant hit, but who knows since Sanrio is actually a pretty popular brand worldwide?)

Well, let's settle this once and for all. Everyone will have different interests, different tastes in movies, sports types, genre, violence, sexy themes, art styles, music tastes, you name it.

I'm going to start a multiple choice poll, please select ALL that interest you the most. Maybe it will help the pinball manufacturers seeing what gets the highest amount of interest? I tried to include as much as I could with the 9 available poll options.

Just vote with honesty, and please feel free to clarify if you'd like something specific that I haven't mentioned. We've got all types of folks here from collectors, vendors, operators, and people of all ages.

Abstaining from voting on something doesn't mean that you don't like it, but that it's not really something that would motivate you to open your wallet & actually purchase a machine for either your home or location. Hopefully this can make for a focused & productive discussion, and maybe even sway some in the industry in a positive direction for what the audience wants.

#2 7 years ago

The funny thing is, theme doesn't necessarily make or break the game. MET is one of my favorite games. I don't care for the theme, and didn't vote for music/band theme. I would like a western or sci-fi game. Or an under the ocean theme (my other hobby is saltwater aquariums). If it's poorly made though, it'll still be crap.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

The funny thing is, theme doesn't necessarily make or break the game. MET is one of my favorite games. I don't care for the theme, and didn't vote for music/band theme. I would like a western or sci-fi game. Or an under the ocean theme (my other hobby is saltwater aquariums). If it's poorly made though, it'll still be crap.

I totally agree, but themes do sell games. Whether or not it will be a good game all depends on the design.

Let's just assume we're talking about a fun game, and what type of theme you'd like on it.

#4 7 years ago

I feel like it might be useful to have negatives on here too. For instance, "Sex Appeal" is something that I specifically don't look for, given where most of my games end up.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I feel like it might be useful to have negatives on here too. For instance, "Sex Appeal" is something that I specifically don't look for, given where most of my games end up.

I wanted to include everything. I'm all for sex appeal in games, others are not. It really depends on the audience and location, which is why I tried my best to include as much as I could with as little polling options that I had. Everyone's votes count & opinions matters here. I hope that, regardless of what I think, that whatever the votes are trending towards will give manufacturers and pinsiders alike a direct look at where the market & money is when it literally comes down to themes. For now, things definitely seem to be trending already and I can't wait for more votes.

#6 7 years ago

You can almost break down the poll into 3 categories:
    Licensed or unlicensed themes

Sci-fi
    Western
    Sports
    Music
    (Feel free to discuss others)

And finally break down the desire for these big 3:
    Sex Appeal
    Violence
    Family Friendly

#7 7 years ago

A little bit of humor goes a long way (AFM). Easily recognized themes (ST, GB) are also desirable.

#8 7 years ago

For me it's mostly nostalgia. That's why someone needs to make a The Goonies pin

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from JJHLH:

A little bit of humor goes a long way (AFM). Easily recognized themes (ST, GB) are also desirable.

Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the humor in AFM or MM, but definitely enjoy both games for their layout & themes.

Worth noting:
    Audio is a great aspect of pinball, but in most loud bars I can barely hear a thing. It's definitely something that can be appreciated more in quiet or HUO environments.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from MinusWorlds:

For me it's mostly nostalgia. That's why someone needs to make a The Goonies pin

I agree, nostalgia, so anything 80s for me. Why has no one made The A-Team yet?

#11 7 years ago

First off , it must be a fun theme. If a machine can make me laugh, it's a win

Theme wise, fantacy. Paragon, the black knight, iron man, etc

Then dial it up, take it to the limit

#12 7 years ago

At least so far it's looking like a pinball with an original sci-fi theme & a dash of sex appeal is winning. Honestly, that almost sums up a large chunk of pinball history and makes sense.

It's still too early to make calls, the demand for licensed machines is definitely there (to my surprise) so far.

#13 7 years ago

Original themes or themes based on nothing from my childhood or bands that I don't listen to any more.

#14 7 years ago

As for non-fans, I think unlicensed games can draw in just as many folks as licensed as long as they are eye catching. Sure some folks will walk by and plunk some quarters because they liked a certain movie or show, but I'd say an equal amount will walk right past it because they are not a fan of the particular show/movie.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Original themes or themes based on nothing from my childhood or bands that I don't listen to any more.

Haha. Well, I still listen to Rob Zombie occasionally.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

some folks will walk by and plunk some quarters because they liked a certain movie or show, but I'd say an equal amount will walk right past it because they are not a fan of the particular show/movie.

Before licensed themes we plunked money in every game there was. And put more money in the better players.

In the 90s, we learned about the movies by playing the pinball game first.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Before licensed themes we plunked money in every game there was. And put more money in the better players.
    In the 90s, we learned about the movies by playing the pinball game first.

I won't lie, pinball has motivated me to watch a handful of older movies. I do remember loving T2 as a kid, but by the time Creature came out I was actually dissapointed that it was more of a Drive-in rockabilly movie type of theme instead of a dedicated Creature theme. That was really a dissapointing surprise as a huge Creature from the Black Lagoon fan. The Cabinet art and Playfield hologram are still pretty rad, and luckily it's a decent game.

#18 7 years ago

Oh man. I love myself a good hearty originally themed pinball machine.

Pin-Bot? His Bride? Yep.

White Water? Very yes.

Whirlwind, complete with a goofy cloud with tornado fingers? Stole my heart.

2001, a game where people ride through space tunnels on triangles? Take my money.

Nothing says pinball like unbridled creativity.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Oh man. I love myself a good hearty originally themed pinball machine.
    Pin-Bot? His Bride? Yep.
    White Water? Very yes.
    Whirlwind, complete with a goofy cloud with tornado fingers? Stole my heart.
    2001, a game where people ride through space tunnels on triangles? Take my money.
    Nothing says pinball like unbridled creativity.

Bride of Pinbot, White Water & Whirlwind can take my quarters any day of the week.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

I do remember loving T2 as a kid, but by the time Creature came out I was actually dissapointed that it was more of a Drive-in rockabilly movie type of theme instead of a dedicated Creature theme. That was really a dissapointing surprise as a huge Creature from the Black Lagoon fan.

T-2 and Creature were probably the only two licensed movie themes from the 90s I saw before I played the pinball games.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

T-2, and Creature were probably the only two licensed movie themes from the 90s I saw before I played the pinball games.

What were your initial impressions of Creature? Why do you think they meshed together an original theme & creature theme instead of going all out creature? Maybe they figured the Movie was too old for kids to get it?

IDK, WOZ is very old but it didn't stop Stern for Better ir worse from making it. I actually think WOZ looks pretty rad, but I'd never own one as it would drive me nuts hearing that music over and over and over. Ehhhhhhh.

It's like, I love Black Knight 2000, but after awhile I just want the "ahhhhh ahhhhh" chanting to stop. I know I'm in the minority with that opinion but I had to say it.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

What were your initial impressions of Creature?

I thought it was cool.

Back then we weren't begging for licensed themes based on movies we had seen 100 times when we were kids. Whatever showed up on route was always a surprise. I just played them all and as long as new ones kept showing up it was all good as long as they played well.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Playmatic:

IDK, WOZ is very old but it didn't stop Stern for Better ir worse from making it. I actually think WOZ looks pretty rad, but I'd never own one as it would drive me nuts hearing that music over and over and over. Ehhhhhhh.

JJP made that. There is a pretty large variety of music in WOZ, I don't pay too much attention to it as the multi-balls and deep code modes keep you focused. You tune it out ... kind of like a spouse at times.

#24 7 years ago

Think about T-2. A pinball machine from 1991 themed after a movie from 1991. What a concept!

#25 7 years ago

A theme that appeals (without seeing the game design yet) is envisioning the modes/rules/toys/light shows etc that can be associated with that theme. Killing the dead horse again ... Picture a Harry Potter Pin. Man, so many things could be done with that. ACDC had good potential and Stern did a good job with. Alien "should" be a good one from Heighway too. TZ is another one that you would think could be good if you did not see it yet (and was/is). There are some surprises out there too. Themes that aren't that great, but good pins. Theme is not as important as the fun factor, pin design, and game play are more important to me. The theme just may perk my interest more. That's why I go to expos and the VFW show - to pick out my favorites and develop a wish list and a lust list.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I'm sure this guy would give you a dollar if you could help him find a bathroom.

image-24 (resized).jpgimage-24 (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

Hmmmm.... Sports very low rated in this poll.

Maybe cause there are so few great sport pins. But you would say scoring a goal with a ball could make some awesome lay outs. Still think the goal shot in wcs is one of the most satisfying shots in pinball.

Could be icehockey also. Same fun, and better for usa market.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Plungemaster:

Hmmmm.... Sports very low rated in this poll.
    Maybe cause there are so few great sport pins. But you would say scoring a goal with a ball could make some awesome lay outs. Still think the goal shot in wcs is one of the most satisfying shots in pinball.
    Could be icehockey also. Same fun, and better for usa market.

I think a horse racing game would be pretty cool. Could advance in the race as you make the right shots.

#29 7 years ago

Thematic use of a crane.

#30 7 years ago

Theatricality. I mean, it helps if it's a good game but that first zap when you see the machine, that "wow!" factor is what really gets me, and if it's incorporated into the game itself then it's really a keeper. Addams Family is a fairly good movie but I've only seen it like, once and I don't remember much from it, but just the overall package of the pin is so dazzling. The backglass is stunning, the playfield art draws you in, and then you have all the toys and awesome voice clips that make the game come alive. See also Funhouse, Whirlwind, and TZ - they're magnetic, and the game pays off by utilizing that first glance appeal to its advantage and playing with it. You want to see what the fan does in Whirlwind, you want to get all the toys going in TZ, you want to engage with Rudy and find out what happens at midnight because the pin puts it right out there, and it creates an insidious emotional arc (Rudy turning on you, the TZ table coming alive and building momentum, the fan and spinners going in Whirlwind).

Rock pins are kind of a hard sell for me, though. Metallica is fun but most of the rest of them just feel like an interactive jukebox. What I absolutely don't want from a license is for the game to be thuddingly slavish to the property.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm sure this guy would give you a dollar if you could help him find a bathroom.

I especially like how his spacesuit has the "kermit the frog" look.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

that first zap when you see the machine

This also holds true for slot machines as well. If I see a pin or a slot and it catches my eye, I am more likely to walk up to it and throw money in. Then how it plays is what may keep me there instead of walking off and trying something else.

#33 7 years ago

If it's Back to the Future and made by JJP.

#34 7 years ago

I think that themes also tend to mirror our other life interests as well. Was a big AC/DC fan as a teen, so I like that theme. I'm not much into sports, so I will pass on most sports themes, except that I am a fisherman, so Fish Tales gets a nod. I don't watch GOT so not interested there, but liked the movie Maverick - the game play is good which makes is a keeper in my collection. I'm a big Alien fan, own Space Invaders.

#35 7 years ago

Theme does not make a pinball machine desirable to me. Theme is more like a secondary afterthought.

Hell, I couldn't even tell you what the theme is for a few of my games... Elektra (Electricity?). Pinball Champ (Playing pinball?). Alien Star (Aliens?).

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Theme does not make a pinball machine desirable to me. Theme is more like a secondary afterthought.
    Hell, I couldn't even tell you what the theme is for a few of my games... Elektra (Electricity?). Pinball Champ (Playing pinball?). Alien Star (Aliens?).

Then I have the perfect game for you:

alien-pinball-whitewood-test-604x270 (resized).jpgalien-pinball-whitewood-test-604x270 (resized).jpg

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Then I have the perfect game for you:

Nah, no sound!

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If it's Back to the Future and made by JJP.

Hmmm..... A new BTTF....... I never thaught about it cause of the chance of a remake. But a totaly new one...

Sorry, i got to sit down, cause really, that is a fantastic idea! Omg, think of the possibillities with modern toys and the screens...

Great theme!

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I think that themes also tend to mirror our other life interests as well. Was a big AC/DC fan as a teen, so I like that theme.

I liked Captain Kangaroo and Bozo the Clown when I was young, so I like those themes.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from ianwho:

The funny thing is, theme doesn't necessarily make or break the game.

I figured out that it does for me. Prime example:

I love Family Guy, but hate Shrek. Exact same game, only difference is the theme.

#41 7 years ago

To make a simple analogy. Theme and a quick look at the playfield are like how looks or a first impression affect the potential if you want to go on a first date or not. The theme wrecks it if it is something of no interest. Many of the Stern titles have blown it for me in this regard. Thank the pinball gods for Ghostbusters. If it looks of it looks like it has a bunch of cool stuff on it then hell yeah! It's a first date. Not a huge fan of the movie Wizard of Oz but holy crap look at all the cool shit on the playfield.That is the beauty of original themes it can be anything and go anywhere. It is not just confined to a band or an HBO show or a movie that I've never seen.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I liked Captain Kangaroo and Bozo the Clown when I was young, so I like those themes.

I see what you did there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-makes-a-pinball-theme-desireable-to-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.