(Topic ID: 118106)

What makes a pin a great pin?

By jawjaw

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hqdefault.jpg
    image-12-1.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I'm curious what you guys think makes a game great. What do you look for when buying a pin? What tickles your fancy and all that?

The main focus seems to be theme but there are plenty of unpopular pins with great themes and vice versa. Code seems to be the next major factor and that makes sense given it's what dictates gameplay. However, a lot of people seem to be unhappy about code even on Stern's better games. Another factor has to be playfield toys and unique design features. A game without anything special is usually dull. Artwork, lighting, and sounds are important but not the first thing people talk about. I suppose a great pin blends all of these well but is there something specific that you look for?

I love a good led light show and lots of ramps/orbits to shoot for. Combos ftw. I also love traditional features like pop bumpers, rollover lanes for bonus multiplier, and a third flipper. Gotta have those!

#2 9 years ago

mature software

#3 9 years ago

I think some of the best pins do a great job of creating a "world under glass" along with solid code. I was just thinking about this after playing my WOZ a little while ago. WOZ has a lot of different cool and unique toys in it that represent different areas in the film. There's a mini playfield representing the castle with a loop shot, targets and a castle door, there's a mechanical monkey toy that picks up the ball, there's another mini playfield that represents the twister from the film and more. The areas are all tied together with different modes that as a whole create an addicting and comprehensive ruleset. Two other games that I feel pull this off are STTNG and LOTR.

Also, the pins that create that "world under glass" feeling really do a brilliant job of pulling from the source material. In those types of games you are more likely to see some type of physical toy that represents something critical from the theme versus it only existing as a shot, animation or as artwork on the playfield.

#4 9 years ago

a great pin is a pin that i want to push the start button on "one more time"...

nice art doesn't hurt either...

#5 9 years ago

If it's one I like, it must be a great game.

#6 9 years ago

Based on what my tastes have been lately, the machine must have good art, sound, and light packages and be somewhat difficult (short game time) and have 3 - 4 flippers. For example the music/sounds and lights and art the come with SoF and GL (granted these are my two newest games) are off the charts. Just love the immersion into the theme.

#7 9 years ago

Shots and goals.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from ccotenj:

a great pin is a pin that i want to push the start button on "one more time"...

While everything does add to a pinball machines attractiveness, and I value art, rules etc, in the end it just has to keep you coming back for one more game.

#9 9 years ago

Rules and flow

#10 9 years ago

Steve Ritchie

I think half of the pins I've ever owned have been Ritchie Pins. I lean towards "Speed and Flow" but there are outliers that I enjoy that are not speed & flow games.

Great theme integration along with great shots and code can turn an otherwise good pin into a great one (STTNG).

Good sound and a nice light show along with some speed (Getaway).

Ass kickingly hard with great sound and "almost made it" goals (IM)

Broad appeal to pull in the "non-pinheads" for parties and get-together's (WCS94)

Deep rules with a fun theme and tons of variety (TSPP)

#11 9 years ago

Great code
    Fun shots
    Awesome theme
    Nice artwork
    Catchy music
    Good callouts

#12 9 years ago

I find I like variety in my pins...some w/ deep rules, some not. Some w/ great artwork...some not.

#13 9 years ago

Theme
    layout
    toys
    music and call outs
    flow
    programming or code
    art
    originality
    fast pace
    good lighting

#14 9 years ago

I ask myself this question all the time. I currently own: LOTR, MET, TAF, Quick Draw, and Stargate. The games are all so different and I love each of them. I think that the theme, sounds and callouts, general art and vibe are very subjective but some other things maybe not so much.

To me these are the most important elements:
    Code and rules, the feel and number of shots, and overall gameplay.

I have played games with bad themes, art, and callouts that are really fun because of the gameplay. I have also played beautiful pins that really aren't fun.

Gameplay is king.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Steve Ritchie
    I think half of the pins I've ever owned have been Ritchie Pins. I lean towards "Speed and Flow" but there are outliers that I enjoy that are not speed & flow games.

I only own two pins and they are both Ritchie's (ST and Getaway). I tend to like his pins best but do like others. I just can't always figure out why I like one pin over another. Some pins look awesome but can't get into gameplay. Others don't look like the type of pin I would like but then I love the gameplay.

#16 9 years ago

For those of you who struggle to know why you like a pin, sometimes it's illuminating to consider why you DON'T like a pin sometimes.
    -mof

#17 9 years ago

image-12-1.jpgimage-12-1.jpg
    #18 9 years ago

boobies

#19 9 years ago

playable and frustrating both. theme, simple or deep seem less important than good flow. some EM and SS machines are great playing while still simplistic.

#20 9 years ago

In a word that many are trying to come up with: INTEGRATION. One game with practically perfect integration is PIN*BOT. Everything about that game coalesces into something greater than the sum of it's parts. Most of the top ranked games are able to achieve this on a higher level than the also-rans and less ranked games.

A game with great implementation of all the items mentioned above into a seamless package that becomes more than a pinball machine when you put your hands on the flipper buttons, like Creature from the Black Lagoon!

#21 9 years ago

Pinball is so subjective. For me it's a fun factor. If I enjoy playing it, it's a great pin for me. My first pin was a BSD. After three years, I am still not tired of it. To me, that's a great pin. Cool art, rule set and of course the whole nostalgia factor is big for me . I like playing pins I loved as a kid. Takes you back. That is what is so special about pinball.

#22 9 years ago

I think tz is a pretty perfect pin.great artwork and sounds which capture tz and really get you into the gameplay .The light showes are really great and there are a ton of shots and different ways to approach the game .it has some of the coolest toys in pinball even till this day .then you have the powerball that really is integrated very well into game play and really throws people when theh first see it lol. Also the software is very well done and polished especially the home rom with some pretty cool features

#23 9 years ago

keefer

#24 9 years ago

"just one more game" is what makes a pin great. I agree with the other tabby.
    hqdefault.jpghqdefault.jpg

#25 9 years ago

To me, a great pin is one that has a lasting memory when I'm not playing it. Reliving the shots in my head, or the journey of a game I had, or the fantastic sound package. It's pins that give me a fun, memorable lasting impression that I consider greats.

#26 9 years ago

Doesn't have a plastic Mick Jagger on the playfield.

#27 9 years ago

To be a great pin it has to be a real pin… no remakes!

#28 9 years ago

To me it's a subtle combination of resale value, immaculateness of the shooter lane, how great everybody else says it is, and how few were made. Sometimes it's simply the fact that it may never get made at all... Those are the best.

#29 9 years ago

One that has flashing lights

#30 9 years ago

1) Ruleset
    2) Layout

For me, these two factors constitute 90-95% of a game's appeal.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-makes-a-pin-a-great-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.