(Topic ID: 197503)

What makes a great competitive pinball player?

By Frippertron

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

multi (resized).JPG
    IMG_8573 (resized).JPG
    4Roses (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

CrazyLevi if you are around I would like to hear your take on the topic question. Thanks.

I've been avoiding this thread as I can't stand most prog rock but here goes:

Everybody has talked about the skills you need so I don't need to add to any of that. I'd just say be willing to try these skills out while practicing, and work that stuff in very quickly into your competition play. What's the point of buying a new vette if you are just gonna keep it in the garage?

One thing I'd offer is don't be afraid to think for yourself. Competition pinball is absolutely filled with people who only play the game how "they are supposed to." That is they'll hear about a strategy, and they'll copy it. Pinball players all copy each other, and they don't want to look stupid by playing the game their own way.

If you hear that the only way to play X-files is by banging the cabinet and playing in multiball, that isn't necesarilly so. I did pretty well in buffalo playing for Modes, and so did Tim Sexton. We both got over 11 million playing X-files the way your "aren't supposed to play it" and beat one of the top ranked guys in the world Robert Gagno who was playing it the way you are supposed to. In fact I screwed up my final 4 match by decided to go the multiball route, for no particular reason. Wasted my first ball - still did enough to barely beat the #1 player in the world Zach on that match, playing it "the wrong way." There's usually tons of ways to play a game, and for whatever reason, most people are convinced that they have to "play it like Elwin" or do the "Cayle strat" or they aren't gonna win.

I got news for you, you aren't Cayle or Elwin and what works for them might not work for you.

The other thing I'd say is pay attention. I learned more in losing one match to Ray Day at pinburgh than I did in the previous two days of beating people. I learned that I needed to shed on my drop catch - a month later this paid off huge in Buffalo. If you are playing in a match against a good player, even at a bar, don't F around with your phone the whole time. Don't double dip and go play another game because the guy you are playing with is having a good ball. Watch these guys play and see what you can pick up. A lot of people I know think that if they just play a shitload of pinball, they'll get better, and that's not so. Yeah it helps you make a big jump from scrub to competitive all-around player, but it's not gonna take you next level. You need to work on your skills and identify what is working and what isn't, and think about how you can get better. I have a lot of friends who are good players but haven't improved in 2 years. That shouldn't happen. Unless you are Cayle and Elwin.

And while I'm at it, get off the dicks of guys like Cayle and Elwin. They are great guys and good players. But they are just like you - slobs who like to hang out in bars and play pinball. There's no reason you can't get better and compete with them. there's no reason if you draw them at pinburgh, you have to assume you are gonna lose every match to them. There's no reason you have to try to copy everything they do and not come up with your own ways to play the games and win. I have one friend who is so in awe of these guys and so on their jocks it's ridiculous. You think some utility player on the Nats sucks up relentlessly to Bryce Harper? I doubt it. We're all pinball players.

Quoted from Frippertron:

I watched a Bowen tutorial a while back. I think it was Fathom. He said on that game he didn't feel comfortable EVER taking a shot while the ball was still moving. He also said the difference between a player that is getting good to a player that is good is their willingness to forgo the desire shoot the moving ball, every shot other than bail out type shots should be taken from a position of complete control. Food for thought.

Again, for many players, yes. For Bowen, yes. You know how I like to play AFM? On the fly a lot of the time. Back to Buffalo...Robert Gango spent his entire Total Annhilation cradling, trapping, separating, stopping, and repeating. He got around 500 million. I spent mine shooting on the fly, getting into the groove, nailing shots. I ended up with 2 billion. I like to control when appropriate, and shoot on the fly when appropriate. It's more fun for me, and it works for me. I see guys all the time who try to play like Gagno but just don't have the same control and skills. they are always losing their balls on trap separations, and wasting time during multiball when the ball save is still lit not bothering to shoot at jackpots, instead trying to find zen-like control. Find your own style and embrace it.

That's all I got from you from the 3rd floor. Maybe some guys in the top 20s will have better advice!

#59 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

You love prog, Levi, everyone does they just don't realize it. If you like drum or guitar, bass or , keyboard solos, you like prog!

I also like staying awake while I rock out

#62 6 years ago

I tend toward classic rock and metal. Saw Roger waters last night.

And no floyd isn't prog!!!!!!

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from dookski:

I dont think anyone has mentioned how some players can adjust to the machine very quickly. Different machines play so differently and you don't have much time to find the shot. Levi touched on that watching other players- you can find out what works on kick outs and rolling passes, etc., but some stuff you have to flip to find out. I hear folks will change things on their home games frequently to make it more difficult. You can switch from new to old flipper rubber, move posts, angle, tilt, or even set the game to fewer balls to make location games feel easier and adjusting more natural. But I can't say I've done much of that, but you can sure tell when the game at the bar gets some changes/tune up. It's like starting over, hopefully for the better.

True. You have to adapt quickly.

I'm pretty thrilled if I can do that by ball 2.

#69 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha my favorite is "cool I own this machine this will be easy." Ends up burying you.

I've been able to avoid this trap lately. The mistake is when people go into a game they own and really think it gives you any kind of real advantage.

Against scrubs, maybe, but you just have to assume any good player is going to know a game as well as you do.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I think it's more to do with your brain thinking you have the shots down, but the different example in front of you shoots slightly differently, and your brain is too used to your own to adjust quickly enough.

I'm over that too. You just have to expect it to be different.

A good thing to do before you plunge your first ball is snap the flippers a few times - I know this seems obvious but I've always been chomping at the bit to just plunge. Make note of if they are high or shallow, and keep in your mind you'll have to adjust accordingly - for all games not just ones in your basement. But if you have an AFM with a high/normal flipper stroke, and then step up to an AFMr you'll notice the stroke is shallower and the flippers don't go as high. So, basically, remember to flip earlier. And you'll know that ski passing is easier and preferred in some situations.

Yeah it'll still take you a ball to get everything down but at least you'll have it in your head.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Thanks Tim. That's definitely food for thought. I'm not a competitive guy but I never understood the multiball all day strategy in AFM. Unless you know where the shots are, how are you gonna find those jackpot shots. I like to work on a Total while I work on the first multiball. Half Total then start first multiball then start Total multiball. From a successful competitive player as yourself, I'm I looking at this the right way?

As long as you are generally avoiding the saucer, you are looking at AFM the right way. And avoiding Super Skill shots.

Whenever I play against someone on AFM and they are doing Super Skill Shots I know I'm going to win.

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Why is it wrong to go for the super skill shot?

You lose your ball save. A beefed shot can easily drain. This Applies whether or not ball save is turned on.

And for what? 100 million points? Wipe out a whole set of ramp or orbit shots? Big deal. You also lose +5 bonus from easy skill shot, and the ability to cash in hurry up billion.

Better off playing it safe, getting regular skill goodies, and starting you ball in control.

For me anyway.

Every game seems to have stuff like this. Learn how to play the games they work best for you. Watch what scrubs do and figure out why they always lose.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-makes-a-great-competitive-pinball-player?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.