(Topic ID: 197503)

What makes a great competitive pinball player?

By Frippertron

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

multi (resized).JPG
    IMG_8573 (resized).JPG
    4Roses (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeUpkeep:

I would hate to play like that but I've watched people just pick a shot and loop it over and over to slowly build points, that doesn't seem like much fun to me but it does seem to win tournaments.

Worst tournament player ever.
    Unless the tourney is on police force or something like that I can't see how that can win anything.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from ArcadeUpkeep:

I don't remember the game it was on but it was a ramp shot...

Right, so that's one specific game you're pulling a generalization from which doesn't really work is my point.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

...lining up and making 8 ramp shots under a controlled methodical process seems stale in comparison. I think selective trapping is definitely a good thing but limited in the arsenal for sure. IMHO.

it is stale...and the fact that it's stale works in the players favor. I have played people like that and it's kind of frustrating to you waiting...which is good for them.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

But is it fun? That's what each of us has to answer for ourselves.

To be honest, it's another form of control ie self control. Some people cannot play that way...I know I cant for too long.
    There comes a point where I just have to get some shit moving and make on the fly shots etc etc...both to my benefit & detriment.

You can have your fun when you win

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Which shows me it is better to practice on all different eras of games if you really want to get good.

Well there's no doubt aboot that.

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from dookski:

I dont think anyone has mentioned how some players can adjust to the machine very quickly. Different machines play so differently and you don't have much time to find the shot.

Haha my favorite is "cool I own this machine this will be easy." Ends up burying you.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Against scrubs, maybe, but you just have to assume any good player is going to know a game as well as you do.

Oh I meant more the game playing diff'rent, not knowledge of it.

#86 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinslot:

A good player accepts it and gets over it.

Unless something way wacky happens the golden rule is to hate the game & not the player

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheLaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-makes-a-great-competitive-pinball-player?tu=TheLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.