(Topic ID: 197503)

What makes a great competitive pinball player?

By Frippertron

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

multi (resized).JPG
    IMG_8573 (resized).JPG
    4Roses (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 6 years ago

Frippertron : if your focus on this dialogue is multiball, I think you've already nailed it: being willing to play in more control in multiball (consistency), and understanding risk vs reward. When I first got into competitive pinball in 2011, it had never crossed my mind to cradle a ball during multiball (or dead bounce, or post pass, or tap pass, or or or...), and I didn't think I needed to do so, because I could put up big scores already. But when you get in a tourney situation where you MUST execute well on THAT multiball of the ONE game you're playing where it's not your 5th consecutive solo game on the pin, consistency is crucial and on-the-fly multiball play won't consistently deliver the performance and score that you need to win. When you're at home or on location playing casually, and you triple-drain out of multiball and have a bad game, you can just press the start button again, or drop some more $ in to try again. No harm done other than your time and perhaps $1. My first TPF tourney experience taught me a lot about this as I lost to the likes of Trent and Donavan

So I made it a point to learn how to play multiball under control -- and I SUCKED! Bad. Really BAD. I don't recall how many weeks/months it took to make the change, but it was not a fun experience. Further, playing cradle/control multiball effectively is much easier said/watched than done. Once you've watched someone else execute techniques, then you've got to put in the time to practice them. Patience is a big component of this style of play.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-makes-a-great-competitive-pinball-player?tu=Snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.