(Topic ID: 244429)

What makes a game loved for being difficult?

By manadams

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinDoctor82
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

So I picked up a Houdini and was well aware of the tight shots/difficulty of the game. After about 20 games I felt like I had more control of the ball from draining as opposed to TWD or IM. Houdini seemed less frustrating than TWD or IM because I had more opportunities to hit those tight shots compared to the constant cheap drains. Just curious why some games are held up high on a pedestal for being tough and others are not.

#2 1 year ago

Most cheap drains can be avoided. Learn to nudge. Take a tilt warning or two to save a ball headed SDTM. TWD is awesome once a player learns advanced pinball skills. The shots are very satisfying when you are in the zone. Having crappy games because you're not hitting shots is frustrating, but going through that frustration makes it more satisfying when you are playing well.
    So basically, satisfying shots that when hit properly feel smooth, and big rewards when you can string them together. If the shots are too easy, then the game will get boring quickly. If the shots are hard because they are clunky, then that is no fun.

#3 1 year ago

Great games of all types leave the player feeling like they could have done something differently or better when they lose. It actually motives the player and enhances fun. By contrast, if, after losing, the player feels like they could not have done anything differently to change the outcome, the player will feel the game is unfair and become frustrated.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Most cheap drains can be avoided. Learn to nudge.

I know how to nudge just fine, can get to EOTL line on Met and have beat the beast in IMDN. Maybe I just need to set TWD up differently but that game seems like it has magnets in the out lanes sometimes haha.

#5 1 year ago

Love TWD and IM. Both really push you to advanced play, careful thought, and challenge you to make fewer mistakes. They're not boring.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from nikpinball:

Love TWD and IM. Both really push you to advanced play, careful thought, and challenge you to make fewer mistakes. They're not boring.

Do you think Houdini is boring or haven't had any time on it to tell?

#7 1 year ago

I am glad certain games get a bad rep that doesn't really reflect their true nature. Probably would have had to pay a lot more for my Houdini if that wasn't the case.

#8 1 year ago

I've found the games I love always leave you saying "Damn, just one more shot and I would have...." TWD is like that for me. Always one weapon away from Horde, 5 walker kills from LMS or just shy of that WW / BB / Riot stack.

What cheap drains are you getting from TWD? You can almost always keep it from draining out of the pops by nudging the machine right before it exits that area. As for the magnet, mine has a habit of wanting to throw it down the middle sometimes. Just give the machine a little shimmy left and right around the time it releases. That typically resolves the issue before it happens.

If you're getting cheap drains, you need to look at what's happening with the ball long before it gets to the flippers.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've found the games I love always leave you saying "Damn, just one more shot and I would have...." TWD is like that for me. Always one weapon away from Horde, 5 walker kills from LMS or just shy of that WW / BB / Riot stack.
    What cheap drains are you getting from TWD? You can almost always keep it from draining out of the pops by nudging the machine right before it exits that area. As for the magnet, mine has a habit of wanting to throw it down the middle sometimes. Just give the machine a little shimmy left and right around the time it releases. That typically resolves the issue before it happens.
    If you're getting cheap drains, you need to look at what's happening with the ball long before it gets to the flippers.

Trust me there is plenty of nudging and shimmying on my part and I have the premium which has the extra magnet that can just throw the ball to the out lane. I love the TWD just fine just don't get how one game can be loved for being difficult and another can be treated the opposite.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Trust me there is plenty of nudging and shimmying on my part and I have the premium which has the extra magnet that can just throw the ball to the out lane. I love the TWD just fine just don't get how one game can be loved for being difficult and another can be treated the opposite.

Because one is not a Stern. Not my view, but some see it that way. Petty.

#11 1 year ago

Some because they have poor layout shots and bad coding example Ghostbusters super tough game but cheap drains and terrible coding. Example TWD super tough game but satisfying shots and amazing coding makes it a great game.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from manadams:

Do you think Houdini is boring or haven't had any time on it to tell?

I dont think it's boring at all. Challenging shots, a bit of rejects. The gripe I have with it is it's always breaking down at the location I've played (I think mostly stuck ball issues). ACNC to me rejects more and is more frustrating than challenging.

#13 1 year ago

I personally enjoy challenging games when they're simple, and the difficulty and the goals mesh. Meaning I'm not always interested in a long grind, it's nice to have games that keep it basic, but make achieving things hard, and you can play a quick game, or several "one more try" games.

This is personified for me best by Flash Gordon, though when I downsized I sold it and let TNA be the torch bearer for that kind of play.

I don't really find the more modern mode based games all that interesting when combined with being ball breakers. I'm not looking for a lot of depth with my difficulty.

I haven't played Houdini enough to really judge it, but I didn't so much find it difficult as just overly crammed. Feels like there's one more shot squeezed in than there really needs to be, and I just didn't find it enjoyable to shoot. I'm not likely to go back and play it more to explore it because of that.

TWD has been brought up a lot, and I haven't played it since the code really matured. That's a game I wouldn't mind trying more. But Lyman tends to be really smart about letting you explore his games in your own way, and that can make even difficult games fun, because you don't have to go up the same ladder each time and feel frustrated. Example of that is Ghostbusters, way too linear for me to enjoy being punished.

#14 1 year ago

Iron Man is often brutal...I've been playing it a lot lately. The challenge keeps me coming back. I hate the rage it causes, but I'm really starting to like it a lot more with each successive game due to getting better at it. Things in life that are worthwhile aren't easy, so pinball that is challenging is more impactful when you do well I guess. On the contrary, Ghostbusters is just a ball-drain machine even when you aren't doing anything wrong to cause it, and that sucks. At least in Iron Man, when a ball drains, it's usually because I didn't shoot something well or didn't have quick enough reaction, it's not just cheap and punishing for no reason.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 149.99
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 85.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 337.00
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    € 95.00
    Lighting - Led
    FlipperLED
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 339.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    £ 34.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    £ 89.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 11.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 14.95
    $ 13.00
    $ 26.95
    $ 259.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside