Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Eskaybee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

After getting a hundred or so games on Fish Tales, it made me feel like a much better player.I watch as many papa tutorials as possible and that has also helped a ton. I've only been playing pinball for 6 months or so and I didnt grow up with it either. Im really interested in actually competing in tournaments instead of hoping to stay out of last place.

Im sure there isnt a definite list of machines that make you a better player, but I was just curious what games have you owned/played a lot that made you a better player? Was there a game that you "mastered" that seemed to help you improve overall?

#2 10 years ago

AC/DC most certainly improved my game. Great game to sharpen your skills on.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from Millz:

AC/DC most certainly improved my game. Great game to sharpen your skills on.

+1

#4 10 years ago

Pin-Bot will increase your nudging skills with those F-ing outlanes.

#5 10 years ago

Seems like IM/TRON/MET are all making me a better player, though sometimes I don't see it on those particular pins (if that makes any sense. Brief explanation...earlier this year, I was playing a lot of AC/DC Premium (and was getting better, but not "killing it"). Then I picked up IM/TRON/MET and they've all been giving me grief. I recently went back to AC/DC and I'm "killing it" now. I find some games make me a better player even if I'm not seeing it on those pins.

#6 10 years ago

I wouldn't necessarily say I've mastered it, but I believe the time I spent on Judge Dredd, especially supergame, back in the 90s and recently made me a better player. But it also made other games with naturally long ball times seem very boring and monotonous.

#7 10 years ago

In my collection, it's DH, IM and Space Station. DH requires precise shooting, IM requires good reflexes, and SS will teach you to drop-catch.

#8 10 years ago

im,tron,met as snaroff said:
    also:

jackbot
    WOF
    indy 500
    high speed
    a TAF wish nasty feeds
    em's or SS games that are harder to control (like quicksilver, flash gordon, fast draw, fireball, black hole).
    JD

find a mixture of games that play fast with flow, and games that have stops and are slower paced.

#9 10 years ago

Anything by Steve Kordek will force you to learn how to shoot.

#10 10 years ago

I will also add that any time spent on various EM games that have no ball save, will always make you a better player. I like warming up for DMD games by playing my EMs first.

#11 10 years ago

Watching other people play, not any specific machine, has made me a better player. I've learned some very useful techniques that way.

#12 10 years ago

BSD can be pretty mean, so it's a good one for helping you improve your skills.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Anything by Steve Kordek will force you to learn how to shoot.

Any game of his in particular that stand above the rest?

#14 10 years ago

X's & O's. it constantly forces me to play in control and shoot with precision. If you don't, you simply can't fill out the board correctly. Just hitting a sling changes which is lit, and changing back also requires precision or an extra tap of the sling or rolling down the inlane changes it again. It took me a while to realize what a bitch the game is. And if I play it for a while, I'll play any game better.

#15 10 years ago

EM games teach you a lot aboot nudging.

#16 10 years ago

Paragon is the ultimate pinball training game to get shots and nudging down at a great price. That game has it all (I do not own that machine).

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Paragon is the ultimate pinball training game to get shots and nudging down at a great price. That game has it all (I do not own that machine).

Yeah for sure. Even learn you how to tap pass with those super short inlanes.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Linolium:

Any game of his in particular that stand above the rest?

Comet would be a common one that you would not have a hard time finding. Kids and casual players can just bat the ball around and have a good time, but to really master that game, you have to know how to shoot (and some features can only be made to happen on ball 3....). The Dunk the Dummy will kill the flippant player.

Pokerino would be a rare example. You have this really wide open playfield, but the shots are exacting, and many can not be directly hit from the flippers. The Joker drop target must be down for the spinner to score 1000 per spin and to collect any earned bonus, but it is dangerously positioned to drive careless shots SDTM.

#20 10 years ago

For me personally it's been JM and XMEN that have attributed the most to my play improvement

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rcade:

For me personally it's been JM

+1. I don't even play it unless I'm ready to step up.

#22 10 years ago

Sinbad- inline flippers will teach you how to live/drop catch real fast.

Flash Gordon- every shot is an exercise in regaining control. Just forget what you see in the PAPA tutorial; that sh!t is god-tier.

2" flipper EMs - nudge nudge. Say no more.

Fish Tales is a good one to cut your teeth on though. Some of those games are over before I even know where the ball is.

#23 10 years ago

Another vote for BSD.Brutal Fun

#24 10 years ago

no contest...avengers! master the five shots and you can hit anything on any other machine.

#25 10 years ago

Taxi, Jackbot

#26 10 years ago

High Speed gets my vote.

#27 10 years ago

For me it's the Shadow, and Bram stokers Dracula. Both have made me a better player, I just bought a Totan, and easily destroy it Everytime I play it...

#28 10 years ago

Avengers for me, then Xmen

#29 10 years ago

games like TZ continually test your shot making and nudging skills.

Tron and IM test your manhood.

#30 10 years ago

T-2 has helped me with multiballs. operation thunder with aiming and anger management

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

+1, i agree with this!

#32 10 years ago

Yep said it before and ill say it again my bsd has made me a better player no doubt

#33 10 years ago

Wheel of Fortune. It hones your nudging and your understanding of ball physics and vectors.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

After getting a hundred or so games on Fish Tales, it made me feel like a much better player.I watch as many papa tutorials as possible and that has also helped a ton. I've only been playing pinball for 6 months or so and I didnt grow up with it either. Im really interested in actually competing in tournaments instead of hoping to stay out of last place.
    Im sure there isnt a definite list of machines that make you a better player, but I was just curious what games have you owned/played a lot that made you a better player? Was there a game that you "mastered" that seemed to help you improve overall?

STTNG and RBION. Difficult drain monsters of games with tons going on. You have to nudge and trap balls with controlled shots to do anything. Lots of strategy in both as well. Really complete packages IMHO.

#35 10 years ago

I think that the games that truly improve your skill the most are generally the older games where really precise shots are needed to score high. Cybernaut was the first machine I owned, and it requires perfectly accurate shots to hit the targets in sequence (that are 3/4ths of the way up the playfield and then on a slant) to advance them. You have to hit them in order. Other than that, there really isn't much to the game - there is a ramp, but if you hit the ramp how I set it up it was very hard to control the ball coming back into play, so that was a dangerous thing to do.

The game has like 15 targets total, but requires really precise shooting, ball passing, and drop catching skills to really do well in it. It's a great learner.

After that, you can set up just about any game you own to be really nasty and it will help you to improve your scores, but I really think to master the rules that really matter, you need a machine where there is little going on to distract you from that goal.

#36 10 years ago

Wow that was a larger response than I expected! There are a ton of games listed that I just haven't had the chance to play yet. Im looking forward to Expo and texas so I can get some play time on all these titles.

Another game that seems to be helping is f14 tomcat. You cant really break your concentration on that game and you're punished every time you miss a shot.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from jdoz2:

Another game that seems to be helping is f14 tomcat. You cant really break your concentration on that game and you're punished every time you miss a shot.

Most Steve Ritchie games will do that.

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Avengers for me too. Really, really a lot of satisfaction lately making all the shots I want.

Don't own a 3 flippers pin but I guess Tron or X-Men would be a good choice to practice that side of pinball. Actually both are a must, one has a third left flipper and the other a right one. I guess I'll need to get both

#39 10 years ago

For me it has been SM and XM. SM has so many shots accessible from either flipper helping with consistent backhanding. XM is just brutal at times especially if you don't consistently hit some of the tight shots. If you miss often then your games are going to be pretty short. It's help me improve my accuracy.

#40 10 years ago

They have all taught me something......still have a TON to learn though.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

If you are really good already, I can see Avengers making you better. If you are not already exceedingly good, I think Avengers can be too challenging to improve you much. While Avengers is plenty fun I'm not sure if it helps a novice to moderate player get any better.

#42 10 years ago

Avengers for sure is trying to make me a better player. Lots of great tight shots to hold and aim for. I'm pretty consistent with nailing most shots but Iron Man is actually the one I have the hardest time with, even more than Black Widow.

#43 10 years ago

CFTBL, FT, BSD, and IM. All will own you unless you play better!

#44 10 years ago

The Shadow, no doubt. Shortest . . . balls . . . ever.

#45 10 years ago

TF..when ball is going around the loop at 1000 miles an hour and then making a flipper catch.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from cleland:

Avengers for sure is trying to make me a better player. Lots of great tight shots to hold and aim for.

Captain America sure seems to be a tough shot (at least for me ) . But yeah I agree with TigerLaw25 , I think Paragon will make you a better player .

#47 10 years ago

I don't personally feel short ball time games are really the key to improving your play. While you spend a lot of time on BSD trying to get the ball under control you don't, for example, do flipper passes on that machine.

Likewise, Tron is a rush but I don't feel it makes me a better player just because it is so brutal.

#48 10 years ago

Avengers LE hands down

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machines-make-you-a-better-player and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.