(Topic ID: 163237)

What machines do you regret selling(the most)?

By phil-lee

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Looking to sell my first pin,knowing I will miss it later.You have it working 100%, proud of it,yet after 200 games know its not a keeper,until you realize some time later after the sale you would really like to have it back(daysMonths,Years).To keep it simple list a couple you miss the most. This may be a better barometer of the most cherished EM's than the "Official"lists.

#2 3 years ago

The one I miss the most, and a lot of folks think I'm nuts, is my old Bally Space Invaders. I always enjoyed it and my 15 yr old son told me last night that he misses it too. I will buy another someday soon.

#3 3 years ago

I regret the fact that all the ones I have now are keepers.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I regret the fact that all the ones I have now are keepers.

That sounded sad,in a way only a collector could understand.

#5 3 years ago

It's kind of sad when you are at max capacity with all keepers and then all the sudden a bunch more show up at the local EM superstore.

There have been plenty that have left with no regrets though.

#6 3 years ago

For me it's Indy 500. I have great games like MM, AFG, TOTAN, CV, IJ, CP, ect... But that one was a perfect balance between Fast and Difficult that made me come back for more time and time again. The game theme pumps you up. The game also punishes you for missed shots. Miss that one...?

#7 3 years ago

I have no pins now. I had BoP, TAF, Flintstones, Street Fighter, Jackbot, and Star Trek Stern. I sold them to get a nice down payment on a new house. The one that kills me isn't even my TAF Grail, it's the BoP. It was my first pin and everyone that visited loved it. I have so much room now and will be building it back up with a new outlook. "Once it's in the basement, it stays."

#8 3 years ago

Surf Champ for me.

I'm with o-din. I'm over the limit, they're all keepers, and there's more I would like.

#9 3 years ago

I'm a bit different, I'm not beholden to any of my machines. I love them but its also fun to shake it up. But Earthshaker is the one I wish I kept. It needed work but played great. I would of loved to restore it.

#10 3 years ago

I recently bought a project machine (Full House - 1966) just because I wanted something to work on. It's in the garage now because I only have room in the back basement room for 6 pins. If I get the Full House working, and I like it, I don't know what I'll do. I like my current line up too much. I almost hope I won't like the Full House, but I just received my shipment from PBR for the FH (I easily saved 10 percent), and I can't wait to work on it.

I just now realized the irony of buying a "Full House"...

#11 3 years ago

I most regret selling my gottlieb fun park. ($500) wish I still had it.

#13 3 years ago

Centigrade 37 (currently). At the time I sold it, I was focusing on collecting AAB games.

#14 3 years ago

I hope to own a FT again.

#15 3 years ago

Probably Nip-It.
    Only because it was my first.

#16 3 years ago

I regret that I couldn't get my project Surf Champ working, but I got stuck and sold it. 4 player EM projects are not in my wheelhouse.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

I most regret selling my gottlieb fun park. ($500) wish I still had it.

I think I could find you a local one for sale, if you're interested. Might even be the same one, but I'm not sure.

#18 3 years ago

I would take that pin back in a heart beat. I miss it quite a bit. Let me know what you come across Steve.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from V_piscopo:

I would take that pin back in a heart beat. I miss it quite a bit. Let me know what you come across Steve.

Turns out it's a Fun Land -- the replay version instead of the AAB. I think Bob will be emailing you about it.

#20 3 years ago

Still have mine Mark, I bought that thing 3-4 years ago & it's still sitting in storage. I looked at it the other day & I think it will be next up in my restorations. How is Texas treating you?

#21 3 years ago

Probably Bally Sky Kings - it was cosmetically flawless - cab, pf, bg. Not the funnest or most exciting, but it literally looked brand new. Even the inside was clean.

#22 3 years ago

Strangely enough i miss my sopranos and SST

#23 3 years ago

None to be honest.
    Only one, maybe, Texan (Gottlieb 1960) was my first machine and is not one you see often.
    Rest of the machines I had will show up again eventually, they are quite common.
    And being more of a repair man than a player....
    When they are ready and working it is time to go somewhere they are really appreciated and not for collecting dust.

#24 3 years ago

Don't regret selling any as they made space for other titles

But, I do miss Gigi, my favorite 60's game.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

Turns out it's a Fun Land

I think the reason I regret selling so much is because it was AAB. A lot of my guests had never seen a AAB. Just made it more fun to play. And when guests played it I could explain about pinball and gambling, really helped get some friends into pinball. (At least for the night) nothing agenst fun land, just not the same. Although $500 was a fair price I still kick myself for selling that one.

#26 3 years ago

Hotdoggin was my first pin.
    I had no idea it was so rare. I ended up giving it away for $400 because I didn't know how to fix some lights that stopped working.
    Now I'm really good at fixing old Ballys...

O, well. On to other ventures.

#27 3 years ago

So will I regret selling "Spin A Card"?I have no idea,I like it in a campy-70's sort of way,but it will never deliver the power a Williams of this Era will.I have several machines I am interested in buying but at present they're unavailable.The question should have been "How difficult was the decision to sell your first pin"?

Thanks for all the feedback ya'll.

#28 3 years ago

I miss my T3 , took it out of the box, it was flawless when I sold it. I can't buy another unless it's in the same condition which is unlikely. All stainless ramps,
    Fast, and I'm a B/W guy at heart.

#29 3 years ago

Laugh all you want but...

Laser War

Such a fun game, I will find another!

#30 3 years ago

have owned around 500 games since 1977 and this is the actual game in action i always kick myself for selling..got an offer i couldn't refuse but really regret the sale now

it hurts to watch this video.

#31 3 years ago

Williams King Pin First game I bought and the kids loved it!

Are all those videos yours...."Rod's Pinball Videos"!?!?! I've wasted hours of my life watching those the last few years! Love the vids!

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Looking to sell my first pin,knowing I will miss it later.You have it working 100%, proud of it,yet after 200 games know its not a keeper,until you realize some time later after the sale you would really like to have it back(daysMonths,Years).To keep it simple list a couple you miss the most. This may be a better barometer of the most cherished EM's than the "Official"lists.

The only EM I later regretted selling was Bowling Queen. I was incredibly fortunate to find another last year from a gentleman in Western PA who purchased it new from Gottlieb in 1964. This time it's not leaving the stable - trying for all 12 balls in the back box just keeps ya coming back for one more game. I love the nostalgic artwork, lighting and the unusual gameplay of this title - along with the ever so satisfying "Ker-chunk!" when you complete a rollover and another ball is released in the backbox. A must-have imo!

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from cpiel:

The only EM I later regretted selling was Bowling Queen. I was incredibly fortunate to find another last year from a gentleman in Western PA who purchased it new from Gottlieb in 1964. This time it's not leaving the stable - trying for all 12 balls in the back box just keeps ya coming back for one more game. I love the nostalgic artwork, lighting and the unusual gameplay of this title - along with the ever so satisfying "Ker-chunk!" when you complete a rollover and another ball is released in the backbox. A must-have imo!

I can second that. I brought my "Bowling Queen" to last year's Pintastic show. I didn't intend to sell it, but had two guys offer me enough that I had to let it go. The first guy just had no way to bring it home to NC, but the other guy was local, and I helped him load it into his vehicle. Had a bundle of cash in my hand, but I was very sorry to see it go. But..... I did find another one that may have a slightly weaker playfield than the one I had, but a better cabinet. It didn't have a backglass, but I have a decent original to put in it. That game's gonna be next in the restoration queue.

#34 3 years ago

I miss my first machine ever, Silverball Mania! Man, I had some fun times on that one, the slingshot in the middle was the best. I sold all my machines years ago to pay for my wife's engagement ring. Thinking of getting back in the repair and sell biz though....

#35 3 years ago

Safecracker, Indiana Jones ( Williams ) and Monster Bash. They helped keep me open, but I miss them.

LTG : (

#36 3 years ago

Listed in order:
    1) Whitewater
    2) Monster Bash
    3) Theatre of Magic
    4) Corvette
    5) No Fear
    6) No Good Gofers
    7) Flintstones
    8) Who Dunnit
    I sold Corvette over concerns that the raceway would fail sometime in the future with no parts to find. I miss them all except W?D maybe because it was not in great shape.

#37 3 years ago

Hmmm... it 'says'... EM Pinball Hangout at the top??

Well, SOMEBODY had to say it!!

I don't really 'have' any regrets selling a game, because I never DO!

You mean you can 'sell' these things??? Damn, I never 'thought' of that!

Actually, that's not entirely true. I have... on rare occasions, when I've had two of the same title.

#38 3 years ago

Bally's Capersville

#40 3 years ago

I really miss my first Jungle Queen that I sold for peanuts because of space

#41 3 years ago

Shadow and BSD
    enough said.....

#42 3 years ago

SM, getting a SMVE)

#43 3 years ago

One of the things that keep me selling games: the people that buy it are often newbees and very happy with their purchase sometimes the beginning of a nowadays costfull hobby.
    And that's because they know that it is not a risky investment ending with something that doesn't work because they know they can rely on back-up from the seller.
    Some people I know started with a e.m. and ended with very recent machines (all DMD now except the first e.m. they bought), that's why I love this hobby (sometimes )

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballprowess:

Hmmm... it 'says'... EM Pinball Hangout at the top??
    Well, SOMEBODY had to say it!!

I was thinking it, but hey...all are welcomed! And I've owned a few solid states and never regretted selling any of them!

It's interesting someone mentioned Silverball Mania. Might be getting one of those soon to work on. Looks kind of fun!

#45 3 years ago

I don't really regret selling them, but a couple that I miss playing are Beat Time and Doodle Bug.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Safecracker, Indiana Jones ( Williams ) and Monster Bash. They helped keep me open, but I miss them.
    LTG : (

did they help keep you open because they earned well or because you were able to sell them for a nice secondary market price?

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

did they help keep you open because they earned well or because you were able to sell them for a nice secondary market price?

Nothing was earning well then. Was not a good secondary market then.

Hindsight is always 20/20. I should have raised my price per play three or four years sooner. That would have kept me in better shape in that time and maybe kept some of the pins I had to sell.

The worst was seeing people post on RGP when there were posts that I'd sold Safecracker and Indiana Jones. People posted that they weren't going there any more since I did that. Heck, they weren't coming in before, that was why I was selling stuff.

LTG

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 219.99
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 269.00
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 35.00
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Williamson Pinball Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9,000.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Other
    Hdmike mods
    £ 99.00
    $ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside