(Topic ID: 227965)

What machines do pinsiders dislike, but earn well on location?

By JodyG

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by NorCalRealtor
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Off the top of my head, I know I have heard South Park being a solid earner. What other machines would fit this idea? I could see Shaq Attack doing well for the money in a non-pinhead establishment.

#2 2 years ago

Super Mario Bros. and Stern's Star Wars are both very good earners on-location. I mentioned Star Wars because it gets a ton of hate from pinsiders

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from dontpanicflip:

Super Mario Bros. and Stern's Star Wars are both very good earners on-location. I mentioned Star Wars because it gets a ton of hate from pinsiders

75% of the location machines in my area right now are a combo of Star Wars and Star Trek. Theme really does sell over gameplay.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Off the top of my head, I know I have heard South Park being a solid earner. What other machines would fit this idea? I could see Shaq Attack doing well for the money in a non-pinhead establishment.

I saw your title and thought of SP right away. Bought that game NIB, back in the day. Couldn't sell it fast enough. Most ops you talk to say it does quite well.

#6 2 years ago

we could also ask the opposite, "what machines do pinsiders think are great or is a great theme idea but do NOT EARN on location"?

#7 2 years ago

South Park is the first one that comes to mind for sure.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

we could also ask the opposite, "what machines do pinsiders think are great or is a great theme idea but do NOT EARN on location"?

I'm down for this also. I'm thinking games with complicated rule sets probably fall off a cliff after the initial bump.

#9 2 years ago

I've heard Streetfighter 2 is also a decent earner as well.

#10 2 years ago

I ran a SMB because I heard they always earned great. Have to say the reports are true. I left it on location for only 49 days because the location is where we run our monthly tournaments, and I couldn't subject my tournament regulars to too many events playing that game. I also couldn't stand it. It earned right up there with Ghostbusters, and Stern Star Wars. Of course this was a pizza joint with lots of kids. It wouldn't have done as good in a bar.

Stern Indiana Jones did pretty good. BDK is also popular with the general public but isn't extremely well liked by pinheads. X-Men Magneto was very popular with the public. T3 did better than I anticipated. DE SW and JP are consistent earners with the public.

Games I've run that pinheads like that the general public doesn't care about: TOTAN, CV, Fathom, Star Gazer, Whirlwind. Twilight Zone wasn't really popular with the general public and tailed off fairly quickly after people got it out of their system.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

75% of the location machines in my area right now are a combo of Star Wars and Star Trek. Theme really does sell over gameplay.

So you are saying ST and SW are bad playing games?

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

So you are saying ST and SW are bad playing games?

I do not care for either game.

#13 2 years ago

At our local league headquarters SF2 gets the most $/plays. But all the league players hate it. For obvious reasons.
    But the university kids that go there are crazy for it.

#14 2 years ago

When I had Super Mario Bros it was constantly a top earner, but my tournament players hated it. It actually wasn't all that bad until somebody figured out that left ramp all day was how to get big and safe points. As soon as I saw that I knew it had to go.

#15 2 years ago

Waterworld is a top earner for me. And the cheapest game we have at our location.

1 month later
    #16 2 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

When I had Super Mario Bros it was constantly a top earner, but my tournament players hated it. It actually wasn't all that bad until somebody figured out that left ramp all day was how to get big and safe points. As soon as I saw that I knew it had to go.

you can disable the right inlane swith and that takes the super score out of the scenario. i have ran smb in 2 tourneys like that and it works fine. its makes people have to go for modes or multiball.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

I got single digits plays in any given week on Mousin Around, Taxi, and Doctor Who. All three are awesome games, but for some reason got no love at the pub.

#18 2 years ago

My least favorite pins at our location are all top earners - GB, SW and Hobbit

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside