(Topic ID: 284672)

What machine DID YOU NOT bring home today?

By JethroP

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

boring (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I've read many stories, horror stories if you will, about showing up to buy a pin but walking away. I'm sure it's happened to most of us, and the tales are enlightening....or scary, or frustrating, or whatever. Share your stories about the pins you walked away from.

I'll share one of mine. Simple. I get a complete description form a guy living about an hours drive away. Cleopatra is good condition. I specifically ask about the backglass whether is had any missing or flaking paint. I am assured it is good. So off I go on my 1 hour drive.

One hour later I am at the end of a dirt road, isolated at a trailer (mobile home?) with a pickup in the yard. There in the open bed of the truck is the pin, soaking up the sun. Great I think to myself, but maybe it's not been sitting here so long as to get ruined. A guy comes out of the trailer, kinda scary looking. Then I ask about the backglass that is missing. He says it's in the truck, opens the back door of the truck and there it is, flaking and cracks all through the paint. I think to myself, what a f***er...I drove all this way to see this. I tell him the glass isn't anything like he described and not worth the $400 he was asking, and I walk away. He's calling me names as I walk back to my vehicle, and I'm hoping he's not gonna shoot me or rob me or something.

When I get home I do a search on the guy and come to find out, he's a convicted sex offender and there were newspaper articles about him harboring a young underage teenage girl before his arrest. Damn, I was happy I got out of there when I did.

#2 3 years ago
    boring (resized).jpgboring (resized).jpg
    #3 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Cleopatra is good condition.

Cleopatra was my first walk away pin too. Backglass didnt look too bad until you looked from the back. Walked away from what seemed like a shakey twofer deal, a Close Encounters, a couple of others. Probably should have walked away from a few I didn't

#4 3 years ago

Drove 2.5 hours to Anza Borrego, CA to look at what could have been my first pin. Looked, said no and drove 2.5 hours back home. Ended up being a roached out Aladdin's Castle with a number of missing or burnt coils, a badly worn playfield and a backglass that had several bb holes in it. I passed not knowing anything at the time about pinball repair or restoration.

A couple of years later I drove 5 hours to Morro Bay, CA and got a nice Aladdin that I still own. 17 years later, its still the pin in my collection that has required the least amount of repair.

#5 3 years ago

Every machine ever made.

#6 3 years ago

I have the time, just not in the mood. Lockdown bar alone is worth $100. Predates Target Alpha which means it should be button style.
    ebay.com link: 1977 GOTTLIEB PIONEER PINBALL MACHINE LIGHTS UP DOES NOT PLAY

#7 3 years ago

I drove 6 hours to buy a "working" Kiss and Dolly Parton. When I got there neither was working and both were stored outdoors under a pavilion, in Faibanks Alaska. They were beyond faded and both had major planking from what I think was sun exposure. In hind sight, maybe 700 for the pair was reasonable, but not for my first pin.

#8 3 years ago

Drove about 250 miles one way to someplace in Canada to get a $700 (USD) Evel Knievel. He had sent pics, I knew the cabinet and pf were rough, it played but was sluggish. I ended up walking away. About 20 min into the drive back home I came to my senses, turned around but couldnt find his address on me or remember how to get back to his house.

#9 3 years ago

A few years back, I went to look at someone selling an operation thunder and barb wire sitting in an unfinished basement. I was intending to grab both since the photos looked decent and the price was right.

The operation thunder was fine for a project game, but had some strange wiring hacks for converting from EU to US power. Nothing that couldn't be corrected and repaired.

The barb wire was tucked under an alcove in the basement, and it looked ok for the most part at first, but when I looked at the opposite side nearest the wall, the whole side of the cabinet was water damaged. The plywood layer was severely warped and rippled and had separated from the rest of the cabinet. The key was missing, so I didn't open it up to see how things looked on the inside.

Given that system 3 games are quite heavy and these had to be pulled up a full set of stairs, and the fact the barb wire was badly water damaged, I only ended up only taking the operation thunder, and left the barb wire behind.

I think that's the only game that I actually walked away from. It was pretty much because of the condition and effort involved, not because the situation was weird or anything like that.

Fortunately, I've never encountered anything near the level of the "maw of despair" type of situation.

#10 3 years ago

In the early '90's I walked away from a fully working, nice condition Fathom at a garage sale because at $500 I thought it was "a couple hundred too much." If I only knew...

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

In the early '90's I walked away from a fully working, nice condition Fathom at a garage sale because at $500 I thought it was "a couple hundred too much." If I only knew...

OMG!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-not-bring-home-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.