(Topic ID: 63708)

What looping pinball track is WORSE than a Prison sentence?

By 27dnast

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Let's imagine, for sake of conversation, you've been found guilty of a crime that carries a 5 year prison sentence. It so happens that the prison system in your state is overflowing... Insanely overcrowded! The judge doesn't think you're a true menace to society, and finds out you're a pin-head... She decides that sending you to an over crowded prison isn't a good idea... Instead, your sentence is house arrest with one Pinball machine song playing over-and-over-and over... On a loop. Meant to drive you insane and make you pay for your crime. The question is, which game is it? Which pinball theme song would punish you to the very edge?

The judge can only pick ONE. Which one is it??

I'll kick this one off with a game that I really enjoy.... But the music? Drives me crazy!

Funhouse.

That would drive me insane!

#2 10 years ago

WOZ

Game looks innovative but that intro music... OMG

#3 10 years ago

Imagine 5 straight years of it!

#4 10 years ago

I would say the music in tron when you have the disc running before you start the multiball, its awful... I replaced it on my tron and was much happier!

#5 10 years ago

Yeah I could see that. BSD gets to me.

#6 10 years ago

BSD. oooo... Good one

#7 10 years ago

No Fear used to wear a little thin on me. Extreme synth guitar riff...again....and again.

#8 10 years ago

Ready...Aim...Fire Gottlieb

#9 10 years ago

High Speed is my pick. Love the sound effects but hate the music.

#10 10 years ago

The primary factor in how I choose a game for my collection is the sound. I play a youtube movie, and I don't watch the game play. I start there. If I can enjoy listening to it 10-20-30 times in a row, then it's a game worth investigating further.

There are some GREAT early 80's Gottlieb games I am avoiding because the sounds in them are too... weak/fragile/cute sounding. Williams dominates in the sound area overall in the 1980s. There are a few exceptions of course: Black Hole, MGoW, Spirit, etc...

BK2K -- the chorus. Every time I hear it I cringe. The fake low-voice laugh is unbearably bad. The verse is good. For this reason alone, I can never own this pin, regardless of how well it's designed, or how fun it is.

I'm pretty sure, laughter in pinball should be saved for drains -- not repeated and over in a song. Then it loses its value.

I started my collection with "best soundtracks" which I award all of them to... Chris Granner. Now, I am starting to imagine trading a few of them out for more early 80's games with ZERO soundtracks, and just blips and bleeps, so I can enjoy listening to music while I play. That's how the early 80's arcades were anyway -- there was a VERY good sound system and loud music playing.

And that's my subjective opinion...
-mof

#11 10 years ago

CSI plays the same 3 notes (does it even count as music?) over and over and over and over. Horrible....

#12 10 years ago

Any AC/DC song before the ball is launched, it is an endless loop of just the first few seconds.

#13 10 years ago

Ive got 3 or 4 choices......

Blackwater 100
Roadshow
Rollergames
Twilight Zone

Dubbbs

#14 10 years ago

"I see you carousing" on POTC when you hit the left option on the ramp leading to the left flipper.

#15 10 years ago

Stellar Wars with the background sound turned on. Worst thing I ever heard and still haunts me to this day.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#16 10 years ago

I love all the music on Black Knight 2000 EXCEPT the post-jackpot music. The pre-jackpot music is awesome but then you get jackpot and then you end up with this 12-second loop that gets very boring very quickly. It literally makes me want to relock the balls and start multiball again just to change the music.

Then you get a high score and what music do you get? That same damned 12-second loop again!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from flecom:

I would say the music in tron when you have the disc running before you start the multiball, its awful... I replaced it on my tron and was much happier!

I totally agree on this. In fact I don't really like any of the Thiel tunes other than the cutesy little Gem pop tune. I hadn't even considered using rom hackery to put something else in -- what did you end up replacing it with?

#18 10 years ago

WoZ, Not even close.

#19 10 years ago

Hurricane

#20 10 years ago

Hey you, with the face!

Listen... Sure, you can just throw a game title up there and click "send", which really doesn't tell us ANYTHING at all, since games have many many sounds and various songs. It's fine to do it, but it doesn't communicate anything useful. Too much information is missing.

Now, if you want to communicate something useful...

1. Say what part of the sound track you don't like -- this helps teach people who write music for games, how to not screw up ! (I get to do this sometimes) -- so composers can go watch a movie of the pinball game, and figure out what it is that you don't like about it... If it's easier for you, say "When" this happens -- like "during multiball" I hate the "XYZ"

2. Say WHY you don't like it... Why does it irritate you?

thanks for the effort !
-mof

#22 10 years ago

TSPP hurry up music, literally made me sell the game.

#23 10 years ago

Oh come on guys: Heavy Metal Meltdown. It would only take about 30 minutes with me and I'd be done for.

#24 10 years ago

Fish Tales can be quite redundant but for some reason I can live through it!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

TSPP hurry up music, literally made me sell the game.

A few years back I spent ten weeks working as a volunteer shopping machines at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas. Whenever someone came in and fired up TSPP I wanted to die. That game not only has terrible, tinny 8-bit sounds; it has a terrible soundtrack too. TSPP and the one that says "shoot the 8-ball" drove me crazy.

#26 10 years ago

I just thought of one that might be worse than Funhouse for me. Road Show. If I had to listen to that as punishment... Phew. Not sure it's doable!!!

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

The primary factor in how I choose a game for my collection is the sound. I play a youtube movie, and I don't watch the game play. I start there. If I can enjoy listening to it 10-20-30 times in a row, then it's a game worth investigating further.
There are some GREAT early 80's Gottlieb games I am avoiding because the sounds in them are too... weak/fragile/cute sounding. Williams dominates in the sound area overall in the 1980s. There are a few exceptions of course: Black Hole, MGoW, Spirit, etc...
BK2K -- the chorus. Every time I hear it I cringe. The fake low-voice laugh is unbearably bad. The verse is good. For this reason alone, I can never own this pin, regardless of how well it's designed, or how fun it is.
I'm pretty sure, laughter in pinball should be saved for drains -- not repeated and over in a song. Then it loses its value.
I started my collection with "best soundtracks" which I award all of them to... Chris Granner. Now, I am starting to imagine trading a few of them out for more early 80's games with ZERO soundtracks, and just blips and bleeps, so I can enjoy listening to music while I play. That's how the early 80's arcades were anyway -- there was a VERY good sound system and loud music playing.
And that's my subjective opinion...
-mof

Black Hole.... There ya go. Like water drip torture. Imagine 5 years of that!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from r6emperor:

CSI plays the same 3 notes (does it even count as music?) over and over and over and over. Horrible....

Not sure what you're talking about here, the "ball in shooter lane" music? That ends as soon as you shoot the ball. Full disclosure: I own CSI and I think all of the music is great.

#29 10 years ago

NASCAR and I Can't Drive 55.

#30 10 years ago

Another vote for WoZ here. Sorry Chris, I love your system 11 work.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Nascar and I Can't Drive 55.

and the court system will just say no songs that have to do with braking the law.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Oh come on guys: Heavy Metal Meltdown. It would only take about 30 minutes with me and I'd be done for.
» YouTube video

Oh come on!

HMM, the first game to come stock with mirror blades... made out of mirrored cardboard.

#33 10 years ago

One of my friends worked in an arcade, in the late 1980's. She did not last more than 6 months, then quit. Hearing repetitive call outs, or music, can be stressful.
Like the old joke: 2 guys with last requests standing in front of a firing squad. First guy requests, to hear Achey Breakey Heart a 100 times. The second guy requests, "Shoot me first".

"Quit talkin' and start chalking". "I see you". Just to mention a couple.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

I totally agree on this. In fact I don't really like any of the Thiel tunes other than the cutesy little Gem pop tune. I hadn't even considered using rom hackery to put something else in -- what did you end up replacing it with?

replaced it with an excerpt of the song used in the daft punk multiball on the LE (I have a pro)

#35 10 years ago

Can't believe nobody has said Shrek..

*pulls teeth out*

#36 10 years ago

Yup..... Shrek and Funhouse.

#37 10 years ago

have to go with high speed, worst drumbeat ever on any pinball.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

Can't believe nobody has said Shrek..
*pulls teeth out*

Only because it's on the rare side

#39 10 years ago

All this hate for High Speed, I went back and double checked because I did not remember the song being that bad, and its not. Thats some classic 80's sound.

I love all of the music on F-14, I think its so epic and cheesy and fits perfect. BUT, right before the plunge theres this high pitched noise of an F-14 revving for takeoff and when someone is over at my house and walks away from a game without plunging that sound will go FOREVER without stopping or repeating and it will drive me so crazy.

I guess worst music/sound for me is Black Knight when the drop target count down is happening (which is pretty much always.) I think that was a big reason I sold the game.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Black Hole.... There ya go. Like water drip torture. Imagine 5 years of that!

Disney's Black Hole Water Torture. lol

#41 10 years ago

I still have 2 contesters.

1. WOZ

seriously, is there any 25+ year old guy on this planet that not gets annoyed by that main music?

2. LW3

ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok, ok,ok, ok, ok, ok,

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Disney's Black Hole Water Torture. lol
» YouTube video

Don't freak me out, thought you meant the theme of Black hole movie; which is the greatest movie song ever.

As for your jam...I love that one. I have the bright orange cassette still

#43 10 years ago

Shooter lane loop track in Party Zone.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't freak me out, thought you meant the theme of Black hole movie; which is the greatest movie song ever.
» YouTube video
As for your jam...I love that one. I have the bright orange cassette still

This what I thought that record was going to play! LOL

#45 10 years ago

Sounds like WOZ is leading the charge as the best torture song in pinball... HS ain't too far down the highway... Funny!

#46 10 years ago

SMB

Princess Peach and her constant nagging. Still love the game but.....

SHOOT THE BUMPERS MARIO SHOOT THE BUMPERS MARIO SHOOT THE BUMPERS.

Even in multiball while currently hitting the bumpers she will not stop

Excellent game and very well themed but Peach voice overs could make people wear a straight jacket.

#47 10 years ago

Big house

#48 10 years ago

Until you start a mode, Judge Dredd theme can get repetitive...
No Fear as well.

I nominate that super long 15 minute attract mode song on F14 Tomcat. I've turned the game off more than once to get that thing to stop....

#49 10 years ago

I have an smb and I don't think it's that bad... But anyway this is about music not call outs no? :p

#50 10 years ago

If anybody makes it out to the PBL open house, you'll probably change your answer to Hardbody.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-looping-pinball-track-is-worse-than-a-prison-sentence and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.