(Topic ID: 39044)

What level do you use to level playfield/game?

By kporter946286

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Don1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8121adHez-L._AA1500_.jpg
    level.jpg
    image.jpg
    Level_and_case.JPG
    torpedo_away.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I have 3 different level, 1) an app on my windows phone 2) a little bubble level that i got on Ebay that looks like a Williams "True-Pitch" but is not 3) a little 6" level. Using all three of these I am having trouble getting accurate readings and just want 1 good level that I can use on all games and that will last for a long time. Any Ideas?

#2 11 years ago

The Craftsman Digital Torpedo Level.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P

torpedo_away.jpgtorpedo_away.jpg

#3 11 years ago

I use clinometer for the iphone, but I think the Craftsman referenced above is probably a MUCH better level than an iPhone...

-Wes

#4 11 years ago

Thanks Blackjacker that is what I was looking for!!

#5 11 years ago

I have one of the Craftsman torpedo levels above, too. It's casing is mostly plastic so it won't take a great fall, but as a pitch finder it seems to work well.

#6 11 years ago

will this level read out the pitch of the playfield? if so, I want it

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

No, and yes, it will only tell you if the playfield is level side to side (if it is a normal torpedo level). They do make incline levels separately and in combo form tho.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from kingfishtr:

It does read pitch. The best part of the torpedo is the beeper sound option when it's level. It's nice not having to get up and check after each adjustment.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

They do make incline levels separately and in combo form tho.

I must have the combo because mine has a slope indicator.

#10 11 years ago

I use one I got at Home Depot for $39. It seems to do the job well but all the talk of this beeping when its level is making me jealous...

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/husky-9-in-digital-level-thd9403.html#.URKnZ45wZUR

#11 11 years ago

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P

I own this Torpedo and it does have the slope option.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Kgroff:

It seems to do the job well but all the talk of this beeping when its level is making me jealous...

No kidding. I'm off to Sears today.

#13 11 years ago

An old metal level, my hands and a ball, and a couple of test plays.

#14 11 years ago

Not only is the Craftsman torpedo level a great little tool, but it also comes with a nifty case to store it in ...

Level_and_case.JPGLevel_and_case.JPG

#15 11 years ago

Iphone !

#16 11 years ago

Inclinometer/Pitch Locator $8.00 & 9" Torpedo Level $2.00 for a grand total of $10.00 prior to shipping from Pinrestore.com.

Economical and works great!

Ken

#17 11 years ago

I am buying the Sears one today. Done. 3 in stock, 3 minutes from my house.

#18 11 years ago

Just lay a pinball on the glass above the lockdown bar. If it stays in the middle, it's level (horizontally).

#19 11 years ago

I really want something that can be accurate with the pitch. I dont trust the clinometer on my windows phone at all.

#20 11 years ago

+1 for the Craftsman torpedo digital level. Great price and works like a charm.

#23 11 years ago

I have this one from Husky/Home Depot. Works great...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 11 years ago

do you place it on the playfield or top of headbox or where?

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from mcfly:

do you place it on the playfield or top of headbox or where?

Always on the playfield. I usually place it in multiple spots as reading can vary top to bottom. I use mid playfield (about a foot above the flippers) as the primary gauge.

I recommend starting with front leg levelers completely at their lowest settings. Start leveling from the back to the get the pitch, and a general left/right level. Then I finish the final left/right leveling at the front. Not rocket science, but a notable point to realize is that a cabinet flexes a bit - and it's the front levelers that will help neutralize the flex. Hope that makes sense. Practice makes perfect.

Brian

#26 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the great responses and great thread. I went out last night and bought the craftsman, and got all 3 of my games at a perfect 6 deg pitch and level left to right with ease. The Craftsman level that Blackjacker recommended is a perfect addition to my pinball toolbox!!

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from kporter946286:

Thanks everyone for the great responses and great thread. I went out last night and bought the craftsman, and got all 3 of my games at a perfect 6 deg pitch and level left to right with ease. The Craftsman level that Blackjacker recommended is a perfect addition to my pinball toolbox!!

Glad to hear. It's a terrific tool, at a fair price. So much easier than using a separate angle finder and torpedo level.

And I ended up with mine the same way - based on the recommendations of at least a dozen other Pinsiders.

#28 11 years ago

I use this. Don't remember where I got it but wasn't more than $5-6.

level.jpglevel.jpg

#30 11 years ago

I use the one in my brain that tells me when the ball is rolling like a pinball should be rolling.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

I use the one in my brain that tells me when the ball is rolling like a pinball should be rolling.

I was just going to ask if everyone has found that how a level reads always reflects on how the ball rolls?

I guess if the pf is warped, you could get a difference in the two.

Dan

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from zippydapinhead:

I use this. Don't remember where I got it but wasn't more than $5-6.

Harbor frt has these

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Liftserv:

Harbor frt has these

Yup that sounds right. Lots of handy cheap stuff there.

#34 11 years ago

The Sears one is actually on sale till tomorrow morning for $27.19.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I use clinometer for the iphone, but I think the Craftsman referenced above is probably a MUCH better level than an iPhone...
    -Wes

I use the same.

Great tool.

Well worth it guys.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

The Sears one is actually on sale till tomorrow morning for $27.19

Got mine for that price last week. Nice tool.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

It would be interesting to see how far off they are. Not that far I bet.

#38 11 years ago

Where are you guys putting the level for left right and slope of the playfield ? Right on the playfield ?

#39 11 years ago

No level. Back leg levelers raised all the way up and front all the way down. Let's get some speed going!

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from Travismc:

Where are you guys putting the level for left right and slope of the playfield ? Right on the playfield ?

Yes right on the playfield, I go down as far as I can between the slings and if I can on the top of the play field too as i want the entire playfield as level as possible. Then when measuring pitch turn the measuring tool "vertical" so to speak. So "horizontal" to level the game and "vertical" to get your 6-7 deg pitch.

#42 11 years ago

I dont think the hardware ones are any more accutate than say iphone. But they might make a better reading if they are longer and thinner. Plus the app one are a dull for calibration.

Are all wpc playfields mounted the same? It will be advantagous to measure on the glass and subtract a fixed number.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I dont think the hardware ones are any more accutate than say iphone. But they might make a better reading if they are longer and thinner. Plus the app one are a dull for calibration.
    Are all wpc playfields mounted the same? It will be advantagous to measure on the glass and subtract a fixed number.

I didn't have an I-phone, I have Nokia windows phone with the app called "Another level", its not a bad app but but that phone doesn't have a big enough sweet spot and unless I press it down the readings are off. The $35 I spend for that Craftsman I think in the long run is well worth it, If your constantly buying and selling setting up and tearing down, in the long run I think your better off spending the cash. Plus you can use it to straighten all your wife's pictures and daughter's Justin Beiber posters.

1 month later
    #44 11 years ago

When you put level on playfield how do you know that it is straight .If level is just a tad bit off to the naked eye you get a false reading one would think. Any photos of your methods . Thanks Rob Knapp.

#45 11 years ago

Bump. Thank you for any input.

#46 11 years ago

I've just tried to center it as best I can on the playfield between the slings. I would love a digital version of the example zippydapinhead posted. Something a couple inches around would be perfect.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

When you put level on playfield how do you know that it is straight .If level is just a tad bit off to the naked eye you get a false reading one would think. Any photos of your methods . Thanks Rob Knapp.

How about a video

http://www.sternpinball.com/Media/Videos/instructional-series/2342.aspx

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-level-do-you-use-to-level-playfieldgame and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.