Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4-BackTogether (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I am replacing the GI bulbs for LEDs in my BSD. I am just not sure which ones I should use as there are so many different types.

I am not sure what is the difference between cool white and warm white and there is also no domes, clear domes, frosted domes. I was thinking about getting the warm white with the frosted dome on them but wanted to get some thoughts.

#2 7 years ago

You need to try multiple colors and types of bulbs until you get what you like.

I have only two hard and fast rules
    - If the player can directly see the LED bulb then you should use a frosted top.
    Even if the lights are under plastic and you can see them through an opening or clear plastic.
    If the lights are blocked by plastics then clear top or no top is fine.
    - Make sure that using non-white bulbs near the flippers does not make that area darker and harder to see the ball

see my BSD GI lights - purple, blue, red, and white.
    I used lots of white near the flippers because the game is dark

4-BackTogether (resized).jpg4-BackTogether (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Having done around a dozen BSD, my recommendation is Comet Twin 2835 Frosted in Sunlight.....between Warm and Natural white.

Grab a few Extra Purple, Blue, or Ice Blue, Red, to round out any GI color you might want to test out.

A couple of strips cant hurt, if you want even brighter, or a Purple for the Graveyard.

About $50 for everything needed and much more extra to do the GI.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

I am replacing the GI bulbs for LEDs in my BSD.

Find out whether you like Cool or Warm white, that's the biggest deal. Then go with large packs (for discount) of the cheapest frosted domes.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Find out whether you like Cool or Warm white, that's the biggest deal. Then go with large packs (for discount) of the cheapest frosted domes.

Im curious.....You mention choosing between Warm and Cool, and thumbs down the Kelvin between the two?

Have you tried them?

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im curious.....You mention choosing between Warm and Cool, and thumbs down the Kelvin between the two?
    Have you tried them?

No I have not...I wanted to take a peak but forgot to put them in my order just last week!
    For me the Warm is so much cooler than an actual incandescent, I can't imagine a middle temp being that much diff'rent.
    But of course I wasn't thumbing you down for the talk of whites (that sounded weird), it was using colors for GI, needing multiLEDs, and adding strips etc etc. You know there has to be people like me in this world to balance out your love of blinding color LEDs

#8 7 years ago

I like to keep the artwork on the playfield looking the way it was designed. I use Comet 1SMD frosted warm white if you can see the bulb and Comet 2SMD frosted warm whites if you cannot. It makes for a pretty easy order and not too much inventory to keep.

#9 7 years ago

I think everyone who was sold on warm white and soft white before sunlight came out should try them. Wow is all I can say. Sunlight's hue makes the others look like fluorescent bulbs in an office. I know it's just my opinion, but they just look right, no blue hue, no yellow hue, just real white.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

it was using colors for GI, needing multiLEDs, and adding strips etc etc. You know there has to be people like me in this world to balance out your love of blinding color LEDs

Out of about 25 games here, I have 8 colored LEDs in GI in total of all games, other than stock from manufacturer.
    I mentioned those, as for a total of $5, one could try for themselves and decide.
    (not sure where you feel I have a love of color blinding colors)

I was offering help, not my personal taste, which is somewhat middle of the road.

Strips help see the ball in the dark, or for dark areas, but fine if it isnt your taste.

Sorry, if we differ...old habits, but what would I know about helping people independently with LEDS?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sorry, if we differ...old habits, but what would I know about helping people independently with LEDS?

You shouldn't be sorry at all; we both have an opinion and gave it. I don't think my opinion is better than anyone elses.

#12 7 years ago

thanks for the info - i guess i will try different bulbs

#13 7 years ago

(not specific to BSD but) I like to play in the dark so I need to give a nod to Comet Optix Maximus. No need to add spots to see your PF. They look really really nice.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

thanks for the info - i guess i will try different bulbs

Haha yeah there's no easy answer when it comes to this stuff. Everyone's got a diff'rent formula & tastes. Just get a few of diff'rent types and go from there.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-leds-for-the-gi-bulbs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.